Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Part 67: ERIC

A week had passed since the big event on Pluribus and Union Week was over.

I did spend a very strange and special night at the Saran compound, emerging myself in a dark and not openly discussed aspect of Saran society and culture, but I did learn a lot and I had been my female self.

But I was glad we were back on the ship. While I enjoyed meeting my family and thrilled to see Narth again, the big party was not really my cup of tea.And what happened at the Orgie were memories for a different time and space.[1]

Lt. Merkus was still gone and not even the ships rumor mill had any details as what happened to him. Lt. Clusen acted strangely as he tried to be friendly and did not even trytry to find something unpleasant for us to do.

It was late Friday evening as Har Hi and I returned to the 54th deck had just finished a shift in the engineering department were we received training in damage control procedures.

To our surprise the others were still up.

Wetmouth sat in the lotus position on her bed and was deeply focused reading something on her PDD.

Mao and Krabbel were playing chess at the table. Circuit was in his bed, but for a chance he was not sleeping. Instead he was watching some GalNet program on his PDD. Knowing him I was certain it was one of the many shopping channels.

Elfi stood behind Shaka, who was sitting on a chair and she was doing something with his hair.

Only Hans was absent but we heard him singing in the showers as he always did, ancient German Opera as he called it.

“Why is everyone still up?” Har-Hi asked,” Isn’t it late to still being awake?”

Elfi put the brush down, she was holding. “I guess you didn’t check the schedule board yet. We all got a day of R & R, so we can relax before we have our field evaluation test. It is an important test and they commence it the day after tomorrow.”

“This is the first time I hear about this. What kind of test?” I asked.

Elfi answered.”I don’t know exactly what it entails, but Lt. Clusen said every group is leaving the ship and has to solve a field challenge.”

Wetmouth looked up and added. “I was just reading logs of past Field challenges, the tasks vary greatly. One group last year had to observe a primitive pre space flight culture without being spotted and deliver a detailed report on that culture. Another group had to survive for a week on a desert planet. Yet another was tasked with surveying a star system using a sturgeon class ship. It seems our instructors go to great length to prepare these tests and there seems to be no real pattern, but it appears as if survival challenges occur more often.”

I got me lemonade from the Serv-Matic and sat down. “Well I guess we will know more tomorrow. Surviving on some extreme planet might not be very pleasant, but I am certain we make it.”

Har-Hi leaned forward. “I find this game of chess very intriguing. Who is winning?”

Mao smirked. “Krabbel as usual.”

“That is not true. You had me Check mate two times tonight!” Krabbel protested.

“Yes but once I was certain you let me win on purpose and the other time you where distracted watching something on GalNet with Circuit.”

Wetmouth had left her bed and looked over the board from behind our tattooed friend. “Mao your defeat is by no means certain. I see eleven ways to defeat Krabbel.”

“No offense Wetty, but you could probably beat Centron in a game of chess so your analysis of the game does not necessarily mean I see even one way to get out of his trap.”

Wetmouth hugged Mao from behind. “Oh you big oaf, don’t sell yourself short. You play very good!”

Mao blushed and smiled at the masked girl. “That means a lot to me!”

“I know how you feel, Mao.” Krabbel said. “I play against her and it never takes her more than three minutes to defeat me.”

Wetmouth padded one of Krabbel’s legs. “You, my eight-legged friend have great potential. I bet you could become a grandmaster.”

Krabbel balled his legs around his body, as he often did when he liked something. “Your compliment is perhaps a bit exaggerated but it still makes me proud!”

I sipped my lemonade and observed Elfi. “What in Odin’s name are you doing to Shaka’s hair?”

“I put extensions in. He wanted long hair!”

“I think you wanted it and talked him into it! He now looks like Prince Valiant, a very dark Prince Valliant, that is.”

“Who is that?” Shaka wanted to know.

“An ancient picture story about a Viking prince, I loved it as a kid. He wore his hair much like Sarans do.”

Shaka called for a mirror and looked at his reflection after the computronic established a reflective field before him. “I think I look rather handsome!”

“So do I!” Elfi agreed. “I can do the same to you Eric!”

“Maybe at some other time, I doubt long hair will be on my priority list for a while. I had long hair but they made me cut mine short during the first year.”

Hans finally came out of the showers; he too was no longer bald headed. He had hair in the same style as Shaka, except his was blonde.

“Loki the trickster was very busy today!” I exclaimed. “What in the world is going on here? If that continues we all look like sisters and brothers!”

“Do you think such a hair cut would make me look like a brother of yours?” asked Krabbel.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.