Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Part 66: INTERLUDE: THAURAN POLITICS

Midshipman Suppor or actually Namamir of the Suppor Clan was not at all pleased with the development so far. All the things he had done and all the preparation to be her at this event, had not lead to the result he had hoped for.

The famous Diamond Ball was nearly over and many of the VIP’s had already left.

Emperor Soron, the Fifth was still here and so were other important members of the ruling noble houses of the Thauran Empire, but he had no idea how much longer they would remain.

He could not simply go over to the table of the Emperor, especially since he was still on duty as a Midshipman and had to remain at the Captain’s table. Captain Harris had not dismissed him and due to his low rank he could not request to leave.

Just now Captain Harris was making motions that he wanted to return to the ship and that meant all chances to be seen by the nobles of his world were gone.

That cursed primate from that back water world Nilfeheim; that cursed upstart Olafson had been at the table of the queens.

Eric had arrived in a sickening show display, escorting a Saran princess no less.

That the princess was Elfi, Eric’s friend and his shipmate did not come to his mind; a princess living through the rigors and humiliations of Academy training was unthinkable to him, but he suspected the Saran member of the Olafson Gang had something to do with Eric meeting the Princess.

He whispered with an angry hiss in his voice to Lt. Clusen. “Ademan, do something. By the Blessed Blue Virgin, I promise your mother will be executed and not reinstated. Must I remind that your family must obey the House of Suppor?”

“There is not much I can do at the moment.” The Lieutenant responded, keeping his voice down as well. Ademan Clusen tried to ignore the burning, demanding stare of the Thauran Midshipman and while he pretended to listen to the boring monologue one of the guests at the Captain’s table gave, he thought about the history of his home world and how he ended up in this situation.

He came from a world called Hardwock, one of the planets belonging to the Thauran Empire. Hardwock was on the fringes of the old Thauran Empire and most of its inhabitants had none or very little of the blue skin shade that was so important to their culture.

Even though the House Suppor had fallen in terms of importance and influence, it was still one of the Old Lines and while Namamir Suppor and his family had lost much in terms of influence at the court of the Thauran Emperor, the name and the house still had much influence and power on Hardwock.

During the Succession War of 4619, nobles fought bitterly among each other as to who would ascent to the Azure Throne and be the next Emperor of the Blue Realm. The last Emperpor had died without a heir.

The Uhrim, a Harwock house was supported by the then powerful Thauran House of Suppor and prevailed against the others. Uhrim kings occupied the Azure Throne ever since. The Uhrim in turn granted lands and fiefdoms on Hardwock to the Suppors.

His family the House of Clusen did not openly participate in the succession wars, but were accused later never the less, to support another faction.One that was of course declared criminal and outlawed.

Back then the new king gave the Suppors the right of exploitation of half of all products mined, farmed and manufactured on the lands owned by the Clusens and they gained the right to appoint judges to the courts of Hardwock.

Union law meant little when it came to local decisions, even though there now was a Union Police station on Hardwock and they did investigate murders and capital crimes, but a local death penalty issued by a local judge against a local criminal was neither murder nor their business.

Oh why did his mother have to bed with a commoner, a stable hand of all things? True his mother was known for her sexual appetites, but a stable hand? Clusen hated his father even more than he hated his mother and he wasn’t sorry that his mother had sent his father to the block, for stealing hams.

Mother did raise him in luxury and soon married an influential Count, his new stepfather. The count however did not like the teenage son of a thief around and banned him from the family house.

Clusen left Hardwock as soon as he could and joined the fleet.

His mother managed to become a widow as the Count had a fatal hunting accident. Again she tried to hide Ademan’s true heritage and declared him heir, but then mother fell out of favor on court and was incarcerated in her own Palace for suspicion of committing murder and killing her own husband.

All it took was a word of Namamir Suppor and his mother would be freed, reinstated and he then would be the next Baron of Clusen.

It was pure chance that Namamir came aboard the Devi.

Of course the two knew of each other and Namamir send favorable reports to his family in return of little favors. Clusen was well aware that he had given this blue skinned bastard full control after he accepted to do the first little favors. This was the reason why a Midshipman could demand anything he wanted from a Union fleet Lieutenant.

Clusen was interrupted in his brooding as Captain Harris finally got up and said his farewells to the guests at his table. He then turned to his officers and said. “It is time for us to return to the Devastator.” He then looked directly at the youngest son of the Suppors. “I was reminded that there is a delegation of Thauran Nobles still attending and perhaps you like to exchange a few words with them. Therefore I am granting you shore leave until tomorrow night.”

Captain Harris gave the round a last nod and left without further conversation.

Namamir could not believe his luck and hastily attached his family crest to his sleeves and then said to Clusen. “Let us try to salvage the situation. It seems we didn’t kill and manipulate to get here for nothing after all.”

Ademan followed the Thauran noble in respectful distance. At this moment he was no longer Namamir’s commanding officer, but simply a lowly lackey.

Namamir paid little attention to Ademan and while he tried to come up with a reason to get closer to the table where the Emperor and his entourage was sitting he was thinking about his own situation. He had not joined the Union academy out of on his own wishes.

Namamir had two brothers and two sisters.

His oldest brother Haromir was unfit to be the next leader of the House. He was a compulsive gambler with not much skill or luck to boot.

He had lost many times betting and wagering with other Noble sons. Father had been forced to sell the Zirconium mines on Pinnacle Planet, their most valuable possession to cover Haramir’s gambling debts. He had no choice but cover his oldest sons debts, otherwise Haromir would have been imprisoned and most likely executed.

Not that would have been a bad thing, but it would have damaged the name of Suppor beyond any chance of repair.

His other Brother Jaromir had been sent as a young boy to the Monastery and was raised by the Monks of the Azura Order. Hopefully he would eventually become a bishop or cardinal and thus lent his voice backed by the all powerful church to worldy matters of familiy affairs, but until then Jaromir was as as good as dead.

He, Namamir was the youngest and father decided to send him to the Union Academy. Father was good friends with Admiral Swybar who also was a distant uncle to him. The family decided that it was good to have a few contacts in the mighty Union navy.

Admiral Swybar had managed to get him into the Academy bypassing much of the initial testing and made sure he got an easy ride through the first year.

The Admiral however suddenly stopped contacting him and all his efforts to reach Admiral Swybar were unsuccessful.

Only after he had returned home after his first Academy year he learned why his father wanted him in as an officer in the fleet

In order to save the Suppor Clan clan and make it rich, his father did business with the Worm.

For the first time in his life, Namamir respected his father for a decision the old man made.

The Suppors had fallen in disfavor with Emperor Soron the Third.

The emperor had married his Grandfather’s sister but then had her charged with high treason and executed, so he could marry someone else.

This incident caused for bad blood and the Emperor banished the Suppor House from court and many rulings and decisions had been made since then by jealous enemies and his family, once of utmost importance and great wealth had become a mere shadow of past glories.

Now Namamir had one true goal in his life and that was to become the next Emperor of the Thauran Empire.

He had no clear ideas how to accomplish this but he was certain he would eventually succeed. As an officer in the Fleet he was valuable to the Worm and in return he expected them to help him in his quest.

That the Worm was on his side and could get things accomplished even on the Devastator was evident by the arrest of the fool, Lt. Merkus.

He was so close to the Emperor and yet as a Suppor he could not simply walk up and introduce himself. There on the table of the Thauran Emperor, were the Kings and Princes of seven of the Thauran worlds as well as high ranking Nobles of the eleven star system kingdom of New Siam. There always had been a high level of rivalry between Thauran and New Siam, but it never escalated to open conflict as this would have brought in the Union and Union court. The fleet could end any hostility fast and heavy handed.

Just as he was about to give up he was spotted by the First Minister of the realm, the man who was considered the right hand of the Emperor and the most trusted advisor.

The First Minister Voluur got up and approached him.

Duke Voluur of the Tammors looked like a blue version of a Dai Than pirate. He had black, oil slick hair, combed back in a stern manner. His eyebrows arched in a sinister way above dark blue eyes.

Namamir bowed only slightly, he wanted to show his devotion but also that he was from an Old family. “It is an honor your Grace.”

“I was surprised to see a Thauran among the guests of the Diamond Ball and now I recognize the seal of a House that has not been spoken off in many years. It appears you are an officer of the Fleet and I noticed earlier you have shared the table with the Captain of the Devastator. His majesty the Emperor has expressed interest in you and wishes to see you at the table.”

Namamir’s heart missed a beat and in silent triumph he declined his head.” Your grace I am Namamir of the Suppor Clan. I most humbly accept his Majesties most gracious invitation.”

He followed the Minister and the Duke pointed at a chair on the Thauran side. The Emperors first advisor even introduced him. “Namamir of the House of Suppor and now Union Fleet midshipman serving aboard the mighty Devastator.”

The Emperor nodded gracefully and motioned with his hand that further formalities were not needed and for Namamir to take a seat.

Emperor Soron the Fifth had the weak chin line and the hook like nose characteristic for all of his line. Despite his less than favorable looks, Namamir did not take the Emperor for a fool. He was perhaps the most scheming, ruthless and power hungry Emperor on the throne for the last five hundred years, all qualities Namamir greatly respected.

Namamir dismissed Clusen with a hand wave. “Find your proper place behind me and be silent.”

The Emperor said. “It pleases us that a Thauran of noble origin managed to be selected by the Captain of that famous ship to attend this event. We know of the tradition that only the best are invited.”

Namamir did not blink an eye as he lied to his Soverign. “Your Majesty humbles me with such praise, but I am of old Thauran blood and to excel above others of simple heritage is no real contest. This servant of mine, Lt. Clusen behind me happens to be the Chief instructor aboard the ship and has been witness to my deeds and excellence from day one.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.