Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Part 64: ERIC AT THE TABLE OF QUEENS AND EMPERORS

I wished I could have stayed with Egill and the others but my mood could not be dampened not with Narth being back and in full health. I was telling him everything that has happened and he told me that he was fully restored and well, but not able to join us on the Devastator just yet. He had to complete his third year at another posting but he was confident we would see each other after we graduated.

Elfi elbowed me into the side and made me pay attention to the events around me. “The Emperor of the Pan Saran empire has just asked you a question. “ She whispered.

I tried to save the situation and addressed him in Latin, the language of state of the Pan Saran Empire. “I am sorry Your Highness I was in such awe at the presence of all the nobility around me I was overwhelmed.”

The man looked a little like Lt. Merkus. He had the same coiffed locks around his head, had a very sharp looking nose. Only he wore a gleaming golden breast plate instead of the dull leather one, Merkus sported.

He looked down his beak shaped nose and a faint smile curled his lips. “It is understandable, being in the presence of queens, princesses and emperors can have such effects.

I noticed your military decorations and must say I am deeply impressed. It shows me that you are quite the soldier. What do you think of the current Nul situation? Do you think we should simply declare war on them and get it over with?”

“Sir, my political knowledge and experience is not deep enough to call for war. I am just a Midshipman and I will of course do whatever is asked of me to fight, defend and protect this Union of ours. And yes I believe in war as a last, sometimes neccessary resort. One that we still have not learned to avoid. Sometimes it is indeed called for, but in my humble opinion it should always be the last resort.”

He nodded ever so slightly. “Your words echo those of Egill Skallagrímsson, who is a relative of yours if I understand correctly. It seems your world Nilfeheim’s reputation of being a world of Neo Viking pirates is misleading as it appears to bring forth men of reason and caution.”

“Your Highness you humble me with your praise. I am but a shadow compared to the experience and wisdom my Great grandfather Egill possesses and as much as I would love to agree with your assessment of my home world, we are still far from being a civilization of reason and caution.”

The Klack Queen moved her drop shaped head and looked at me with her black almond shaped eyes. “We think you should enjoy your evening and not pay too much attention to our titles and positions, simply speak your mind and don’t worry about protocol. It is even confusing to me sometimes.”

I responded as best as I could reaching high notes while speaking Klacktic. “Thank you, Queen of the first Nest.”

She wiggled her antenna. “How delightful, a human taking the time to learn Klacktic and speaking it well too. How come?”

“I spend several month aboard the USS Hyperion. She has a Klack XO and he taught me during the night watch hours.”

Elfi who specialized in communications and linguistics added also speaking Klacktic, “Eric is always good for a surprise and full of hidden talent.”

The Emperor applauded.” Well done. The Navy schools his young officers well. I was surprised at his good Latin and now they both speak Klacktic without the aid of Computronics or implants.”

The affair dragged on with artists and entertainment, none of it really very interesting and the music was also not my cup of tea. What I did like was the faces of Suppor and Clusen, they and the other Midshipmen sat at the Captain’s table with nothing but fleet officers. Especially Suppor was glaring over to me with a mixture of envy and hatred.

To my delight I learned that the blue and the yellow team had been invited by the Daoine delegation and had a great time judging by the merry laughter from their table.

Finally the Klack Queen rose, declared the evening a great success and crawled into her tub to leave.

That seemed to be a start signal of sorts and more guests started leaving.

The Saran Queen addressed me directly and said. “We will leave within the hour as well, so we can celebrate the Night of Baseth. You promissed to attend, but until then I know you are eager to talk to your friends, so join them until we also need to leave.”

I thanked her and rushed to talk a little more to Egill and the others before I had to go. Egill actually intercepted me half way obviously he wanted to talk to me alone.

He put his hand on my shoulder and said. “You have grown Eric, in many ways. I used to be able to talk to you the other way but it can’t no longer.”

“I am sorry Egill. I apparently received some sort of psionic shield when I merged with my friend Narth to save him. I don’t know if I can be turned off or something like that.”

“It is alright. I know about your friendship with the Narth. I meet with the representative of the Narth almost daily.

The Narth are most remarkable and I am blessed to call one of them friend as well.

You know me, I am a grumpy old man from Nilfeheim, who spend centuries in a filthy tower all by myself. It was you who suggested me to go to Saresii Prime for treatment and it not only saved my life, it changed it completely and I gained new and true friends.”

“I am glad it is so, but why you are saying this now? Are you trying to tell me something difficult?”

He grunted. “Of course not, I am not going to die or anything, at least not yet. I am here to talk to you about Sif.”

“About Sif?”

“You must set her free, Eric. Tell her you are in love with the Princess and you going to marry her or something like that.”

“I like Elfi she is a dear friend. All this was just a show for her people or something. I was ordered to be her protector.”

“I know, it makes no difference what you tell her, one lie is as good as the other, but she must know that she is not the one.”

“She never was. She never liked me in the first place. She used me and when I thought she changed she turns out to be cold as before. Besides it was you who told me she had quit University and ran off with another girl.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.