Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Part 58: INTERLUDE: EGILL AND THE GIRLS

As they passed through the entrance, she forgot the Narth or Elena and just stared, the interior was breathtaking, a symphony of sparkling lights and surfaces, a silvery bowl shaped hall with intricate swirly columns along the concave walls uniting in a dome shaped roof that showed a view of the local group with the Milky way in its center. A full orchestra floated on a platform of rainbow colored energy fields all across the other side and played strangely beautiful music. There must have been many millions of candles lined up all along the walls giving the room a warm glowing light, that reflected in the polishes diamond surfaces giving it all an almost dream like character. There were round tables to the sides and a central dance floor, with a Near Zero Grav Level at its center, allowing dancers to float underneath the galaxy projection. She recognized many guests, to her right not even ten meters stood Mystery Child, not as the main attraction, but just like the other guests. Seeing that artist reminded her of the dark events she went through only very recently. She would never admit it to anyone but it felt good to her ego, that she was with a group that was so far more important than Mystery Child and that the artist like almost everyone looked to them as they entered. A being in a dark blue velvet uniform with silver applications and white gloves, guided them to a large round table near the center. She was not sure but believed the being was a Nogoll.

A very tall man with short blonde hair and sunglasses and in a perfectly tailored suit of black silk in the fashionable Kimo Cut sitting on a table close by got up and started to talk to the Saresii. She was sure she had seen the man before.

Egill leaned over to her and said. “You do know who that is, right?”

“I’ve seen his image somewhere but I can’t recall where.”

“That my girl is Rex Schwartz.”

Sif got big eyes.”Are you serious?”

“Quite so, considered by many including Algear to be the most powerful man in the Galaxy and not just because he is richer than the Gods. He controls much of the Media, GalNet, Space Trains and a host of other things that make the Union run as it does.”

She whispered back. “Isn’t that also a little dangerous?”

“Very much so and it is one of the so called open secrets of the Union. Everyone sort of knows about it but no one really talks about it, but in all the 3000 years his company exists. SII always stayed clean. No scandals, nothing that could ever be proven to be illegal practice. SII is often and called the Good Company, a moniker they accquired during the Corporate Clone Wars so long ago. They did have Gene Clones, but according to history never trated them like slaves.”

Sif was thinking about the things Egill had said as the Saresii came back. “I have invited Rex and his family to our table, I hope that is okay, but it makes our big table a little less empty and frees a table for other guests, as I was told they are short a few.”

Egill stood and so did everyone. “The more the merrier.”

First with interest and then with growing anger at her decision, did Sif watch the Schwartz family approach.

The richest tycoon of them all had three women and a very handsome looking man in his party ... and a huge black beast like animal with a spiked collar around his neck that stuck close to the handsome man. The handsome guy had a gorgeous blonde with him; Sif immediately noticed their matching rings.

Ms. Schwartz, the wife of the Mogul an ash blonde looked very sexy in her dark red gown.

Sif actually envied the third woman of the Schwartz family; she had the most gorgeous shimmering hair in the most precious natural gold tone. Her body was perfectly proportioned and she wore a dream of black chiffon and satin, why she had chosen to hide her face behind a feathered domino mask was nothing unusual. Perhaps being the daughter of such a rich man was reason enough to disguise your identity. Besides it made her look mysterious and desirable.

Sif hated that angelic woman for her looks.

Egill introduced Elena, Exa and her.

Rex did the same with his family. “This is my lovely wife Linda, my daughter Monique Master and her husband Roy Masters, to my right is my youngest daughter Shea.”

He smiled and pointed at the huge beast cowering next to Roy Masters. “I almost forgot to introduce Partner, my son in laws pet.”

The girl Shea found a seat right next to Sif.

Even Shea’s perfume smelled so much better than hers! But then with a father like hers, she could afford Shaill design personal perfumes for her.

Egill interrupted her brooding mood and said. “Look to the entrance.”

A man came in wearing a black fleet uniform. He looked every inch like a soldier and next to him a horrible huge spider, everyone else stared too.

Egill said. “That man, Sif is most likely the most respected and beloved man in all the Union. This is the legendary Admiral Stahl, the one they call the Eternal Warrior.”

Sif simultaneously heard the young woman next to her whisper more to herself than anyone.”Krabbel.”

Sif shivered involuntarily. “What is that monstrosity, that thing next to him? Is that a pet as well?”

The veiled and masked girl answered with a strong tone in her voice. “No, Ma’am. That is Midshipman Krabbel of Archa. He is a wonderful and resourceful person, with a warm heart ... so I heard.”

Of course Sif had heard of Admiral Stahl. The man and the frightful spider came straight over to their table.

Only now did she notice Rex Schwartz, standing waving and motioning the famous Admiral. “Why don’t you have a seat with us, Old Warhorse? We got room for you and your Archa friend.”

Stahl had a voice as deep as Hogun. There also was an unexplainable undertone of unquestionable authority in it, for some reason Sif instantly beleived all the stories and legends even she hhad heard of that man.

Stahl said. “I have one more person in my party, but she is a little late”

Rex remained standing. “There are three empty chairs.”

Admiral Stahl pointed to the spider. “This is Midshipman Krabbel from Archa. He is a remarkable young Officer and I am Admiral Richard Stahl.”

Again Egill did his part and told the Admiral who he and the girls were.

The spider scurried right to the masked blonde to Sif’s right and without any hesitation embraced the Tycoon’s daughter with its upper leg pair. It looked as if the spider was about to devor the woman but she wrapped her arms around the hairy torso and whispered with the warmest tone in her voice.”Oh Krabbel I knew I could not fool you, but please keep my identity secret.”

From the main entrance to the ball the next prominent entry was announced.The captain of the Devastator and his party. Accompanied by officers and midshipmen they went to the tables assigned to union fleet command. A old man with white hair, wearing a skirt of all things to his uniform got up and greeted the CO of the most powerful ship.

Egill interrupted Sif starring at the blonde whispering and giggling with the spider. “That old man over there is the other famous admiral. He is the Admiral of the Fleet McElligott.”

“I think I heard of him, but why is he wearing a skirt?”

That comment made Admiral Stahl chuckle. “I think you should ask him that, young lady. Somehow he insists calling it a kilt and part of his Scottish heritage.”

Why this was appeared to be funny to Mr.Schwartz was a mystery to Sif, but the Tycoon smirked.”And you going to be right there, enjoying seeing the old highlander squirm.”

“Every second of it.”

A regiment of Klack carrying banners marched in to a high pitched humming tune.

Everyone who could rose to their feet and Egill whispered. “That is the Hymn of the Klack Queen, watch careful girl. You going to be one of the few beings ever to see the Queen in person.”

The entrance grew wider and everyone had a good view of the open entrance area. Beyond the ledge hovered a big spherical construct. It extended a glowing energy field bridge andmore Klack in coppery armor and twice as big as the banner carrying Klack, with frightening big mandibles carrying wicked looking spears formed rows at each side of the bridge all the way to the entrance. She heard the Admiral say: “That is the Queens personal Guard; there are few more frightening sights as to see them swarm and attack a perceived threat to the queen. They devour everything!”

The Spider spoke nervously. “Admiral Sir, you know about the Klack Archa history, right?”

“No worries Mr. Krabbel. I was there during the first historic meeting of the Klack Queen and the Sac Mother of Archa.”

Rex Schwartz chuckled and explained to the rest. “A few millennia ago an Archa expedition reached a Klack world and ate Klack, not knowing that it was a sentient species. It is an unfortunate coincidence that the Archa look exactly like Akth’tjak, the Klack equivalent of Satan. When the Archa became a members species the Klack Queen was very brave and invited the Sac Mother to Klackt to show her subjects that there was nothing to fear of their new Union partners, but the queen passed out three times and the Klack Honor guard fled in panic at the first two tries. So this might get interesting tonight.”

Stahl’s voice had an edge of steel in it. “Don’t hold your breath, Rex. I know what I am doing.”

“There is not a soul in this Universe, and certainly not me doubting that, old Friend.”

But even to Sif it was clear the Klack with the banners seeing the spider, were shaking and doing everything to hold their parade stands.

Now a group of Queen Guards escorted what looked like a richly ornamented transparent bathtub with room for ten and carried by even more brown and gold uniformed Klack. Inside the elongated tank on a bed of hundreds of pillows lounged a Klack, she was larger than even the Guard Klack, but she was otherwise normally proportioned. A voice boomed: “Her most high majesty Nt’gtar thk the 745th. Sovereign Supreme of the Klack Hegemony.”

The masked girl Shea explained in a whispering tone to the man named Roy. “The tank is a traditional homage to the times when Klack queens had huge abdomen and could not walk or move. That tank is at least 12 million years old and one of the most priceless antiques in the Galaxy. There are too many Klack on to many planets for her to spawn them all, and they use special Stem cell farms with the Queens necessary imprints...”

The explanation of the beautiful woman was drowned out by a collective awe as a black spider being twice the size of the one on their table was in the very same tank with the queen.

The booming voice was not finished with the announcement.” ... and Her excellency Wuslla the First Sac Mother of Archa.”

Stahl’s voice now had an amused undertone.” I guess that even surprised you, Mr. CEO. This common entry had been planned for years. Wuslla and Nt’gtar have become good friends ever since that first meeting, Mr. Schwartz, they planned for this entrance for a long time.”

To Krabbel he said with a deep satisfied looking smile in his usually stern features. “Happy Union week Mr. Krabbel from the bottom of my heart, The Akth’tjak demon heritage has ended today.”

The procession of the Klack queen and the Archa Sac Mother ended on a special shaped table not far from theirs. Many present bowed or knelt.

Nt’gtar thk the queen raised her upper arm pair, “Egg felt Greetings to all present and tele-present, Klackt and I who is the Queen wishes you all a merry Union Week. A time to remember that we are not Insectoids or humanoids, not Arachnoids or whatever else, but first and foremost Union Citizens. I am the Queen with many titles and great power, but I am a Citizen first. In this I am no different to you or the Sac Mother, who I no longer see as a frightening demon, but as a dear friend. Today we do not celebrate our differences, but that what unites us. Happy Union week to all!”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.