Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Part 55: INTERLUDE: EGILL AND THE GIRLS

Everyone even Egill held his breath as the flyer approached the Crystal Palace in which the Diamond Ball would take place. Above the deep blue waves of Pluribus southern ocean, atop a single thin transparent column, a shimmering construct with elements that reminded them of a Nilfeheim burg, but not of gray stone and Duro-Crete but like a dream of crème and turquois shades. Everything transparent or translucent, sparkling like a precious gem in the last rays of the setting sun. Strong beams of light just underneath the water surface far below turned on just as they approached and bathed the dream like building in colorful lights and in all the colors of a rainbow. “It is beautiful!” Whispered Exa folding her hand before her chin.

“It is sickening kitsch.” Grunted Egill, “probably designed by the fem heads of Saresii.”

“I thought your best friend is Saresii?” Elena asked.

“He is, and it took me a long time to get used to him, but this filigree sugar and lace architecture they like so much is too much. I can’t help myself, I would love to use a big iron hammer to smash this place to pieces.”

“You are in an especially grumpy mood tonight!” Eric’s sister said with a smirk.

“I don’t like these blown up affairs and all these self-important elitists thinking they are better than anyone else.”

Sif had not said a word since they left. She tried to separate her emotions and feelings, with little success. She snapped at the old man. “Nevertheless you go! No one forces you to come here. It is an invitation and every year you go! Erik Gustav never went!”

He glared at her. “You do not have to go either. You can return with this flyer and wait for our return. I knew the old falcon much better than anyone and I respect him to this day and I am glad you found a worthy idol and role model. He was well liked and respected in the Assembly but he did not come to the Diamond Ball because in all the time he was never invited.”

Sif blinked and wanted to say something but he cut her off. “I might not like all the details about the Diamond Ball, but it has a tradition older than Nilfeheim and quite a history. Since I am your mentor I want you write me an essay about the history of the Crystal Palace, where it was made and how it came to be transported here to Pluribus.”

Exa had her eyes glued to the windows, said in awhispering tone. “It was made for the first Saresii of the first Saresii Woman council over a million years ago. It has been given to Pluribus as a gift when they joined the Union, to symbolize their unlimited support and commitment to the community of Civilizations. It was cut out of the largest diamond known that was once the core of a Gas giant in the Sares system.”

They all looked with awe at the girl who spoke still looking outside. Egill put a hand on her shoulder.”You know this how?’ Exa turned with a shy smile. “Before I was blessed with a new home and a real family, I was a drifter’s daughter and I have listened to many of the Drifters stories. Drifters travel everywhere and love to tell stories.”

Even Sif had no snappish remark and said. “You have your essay, Uncle Egill. I guess Exa can help me.”

Their Volvo flier was part of single queue consisting of the most expensive luxury flyers and etched forward to a bright lit entrance with thousands of small warm glowing lights.

A deep red carpet and beings in fancy looking uniforms assisting dignitaries of all shapes and species.

While there were many different beings, there was no doubt, they all were of great importance to their respective societies and of course in their own minds.

To the left and right separated by visible shimmering force field fences many hundred, maybe thousands of spectators, lucky enough to secure a spot right here to witness the arrival of all those dignitaries and celebrities.

When it was their turn to leave the Volvo, Sif noted hundreds of Cam and News drones behind those force field fences and she felt as if millions of eyes looked at her. A human woman and a Shiss, both in fine evening clothing greeted them. Sif recognized them as the anchors of a popular GalNet News channel.

The Shiss said. “Here comes the representative of a little known world called Nilfeheim and a lovely entourage of three beautiful humanoids, females at that. Perhaps nestlings of his.

The female anchor added seamlessly: “Mr. Egill Skallagrímsson from Nilfeheim is well known to many as he is one of the famous Three Wise Men of the Assembly.”

The woman asked Egill directly. “Mr. Skallagrímsson, your frank observations and sage advice has made you and your companions quite an institution.”

Egill actually grinned at the reporter from under his now well groomed beard.”This is the Union young lady, your opinion means as much as mine or everyones.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.