Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)
Part 54: ERIC

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

The landing platform was above the clouds, but some of Pluribus architecture was much taller than the cloud ceiling and from the edge of the platform I had a magnificent view. The local sun was setting and produced a deep golden shine across the wispy clouds and the tall buildings. The cloud cover was light and I could see much of the breath taking city below. It stretched as far as I could see and there was flier traffic everywhere.

The man in the white uniform said.” Sir, I know how mesmerizing this view is, but we must now go inside, you are expected.”

The black dressed women had disappeared as we walked through a guarded gate.

Inside everything was cream colored marble, gold brass and statues of gods and queens. Light was provided indirectly and there were braziers with smokeless fire floating in midair.

I decided I did not like these dress boots at all, unlike Nilfeheim leather boots they had hard heels and it was evident they did not have All terrain soles either. I made an awful racket as I walked next to the man through opulent decorated halls a maze of corridors. After a small odyssey over slide belts, more corridors and elevator rides, we reached a hall, where much of the decoration was covered with gold. Arched windows below the clouds allowed me to see more of the incredible spread of buildings and not all too far in the distance the white dome of the Assembly.

Tall statues of black skinned gods with animal heads and golden garments lined the other wall, each at least ten meters tall. One with a bird like head had slightly glowing eyes and I was certain I saw movement. Those were not just statues but most likely disguised sentry robots.

A bald headed man with heavy eye make-up approached me. He wore some sort of animal skin over his left shoulder and a white dress like garment with a short skirt. On his feet simple looking sandals. A heavy looking golden collar that circled around his neck and much of his shoulders was full of blue and red jewels. He eyed me with a disapproving stare.

“I am Amun first Eunuch and high servant of her most high majesty and daughter of the gods. She who rules supreme over all that is and will be requested your presence.”

“Nice to meet you Amun, I am Eric Olafson and I guess that is one of the reasons I am here. So let’s get it over with, shall we?”

He gasped.” Get it over with? You are most blessed to crawl before the throne of the most high! Once we go through those doors you will drop to your knees, hold your head to the ground and crawl across the floor until you reach a golden line. There you will wait until you are addressed. At no point are you to raise your head. To gaze upon the most High without permission of her majesty is an offense that is punished by death!”

“I was ordered to accompany the princess to a ball. My orders say nothing about meeting the queen. Tell Elfi I wait outside for her when she is ready. I respect your culture and all this but I am not Saran. She is certainly not my queen and this is Pluribus and I am a lawful citizen of the Union.”

He almost fainted, then he said with a hoarse voice. “You are on Saran ground and everything and everyone here is subject to her will and so are you. She who is the queen requested your presence and you can crawl yourself or I have dragged you there.”

One of the statues moved and stepped down from its pedestal and several sword and blaster armed guards appeared from hidden alcoves.

He glared at me and wrapped his fists around the fur he wore. “What shall it be, little Midshipman?”

I was not entirely sure if my behavior would cause trouble, but I did not like to bend my knee to anyone but Thor.

“I abide for Elfi’s sake but I won’t forget that Mr. Amun.”

“On your knees now and crawl, she who is the queen ordered your presence and she shall not be denied or wait till a worm as low as you decides to abide!”

He waved and two of the guards grabbed me and pushed me to the ground. I had to recite the names of all the Aseir to keep calm and let them do it.

So I crawled escorted by guards through the opening door.

A female voice full authority spoke. “By Isis and Osiris what is this?”

I heard Amun speak.” Your Highness, sun of my life, this is the Union peasant you wished to see. This person did not want to crawl as it is proper before her who is the Queen.”

The female voice said. “Mr. Olafson please rise.”

I got to my feet. Here in a temple like throne room a woman that looked very much like an older sister of Elfi stood before a raised golden chair. She wore an almost transparent white gown, a similar collar as Amun, crown like head piece that looked like a blue cone with golden ornaments. She came down the three marble steps leading to her throne. Everyone present immediately dropped to their knees and borrowed their heads between their outstretched arms.

The queen said.”My deepest apologies, my now doomed servant has obviously failed to check your credentials as I expected he would.”

To Amun she said. “Prepare for your execution. He is not only an honored guest and personal friend of her who is the Princess most precious, but he is also the high representative of the Narth.

Never has the Saran empire failed to greet envoys and dignitaries of other civilizations in a proper manner until today. Now leave my sight.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.