Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Part 45: ERIC

Cotton slammed his fist on my chest and put his other arm around Har-Hi’s shoulder. “The Twelfth is really going to miss you two, but this was your last sortie with us.”

The commandant of the 12th Devastator fighter wing invited us to a fare well party, but Centron paged me. I had to report to the Captain himself. I wondered if I did something that required the Captain’s attention but could not think of anything. To my surprise Elfi was there in his office as well.

The Captain glared at me.

“I really did want to take you, Mr. Olafson. “ Captain Harris said. “However I don’t want to be accused of favoritism.”

“Sir?”

“Your team is number one by more than just a safe margin. It is nothing personal of course, but I picked someone else, and now things get even more complicated.”

“Sir if I can help you by stepping back from this, then I gladly do it. I don’t think I would really want to be at a formal ball and all this anyway.”

“You and I have little choice in this, Son. Your team mate here is a very important person. While we have and will ignore that fact, not only by regulations but also per orders, we cannot do so tonight.

The Queen of Saran has requested her daughter’s presence and that will happen. The fact that she is a Midshipman will not be made public both for her safety and of course to keep her true identity a secret to the crew and the fleet, so she can continue her chosen career on her merits and skills and not her status.”

I could understand that of course but I wondered what this had to do with me, but then the Captain was not finished. “The Olafson Gang will have special assigments as well. I elected Midshipmen of other groups to accompany me to that event.”

“Sir, I am sure you have your reasons for this decision.I can’t say I am terribly disapointed, to be frank. What are my orders?”

Harris buried his face in his hand. “You are a Guest of honor, invited by the Saran government and her majesty the queen no less. You will escort the princess to that event. “ He sighed deeply and then gave me a long look. “Now go and get ready. You are authorized to use Auto Dresser and set it to Parade One, Centron will do the rest.”

I was not sure how to read the Captains strange behavior, but I saluted and left.


The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.