Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Part 44: INTERLUDE: THE KERMAC ENVOYS

The Kermac Diplomatic delegation had to share a visitor’s alcove with other dignitaries, observers and diplomats. Viertlvorfier, the Kermac High Consul found it less disgusting than standing with the crowds outside, or watch the even in the Embassy on GalNet. The Nul, the Togar, the Shiss and a host of other Non-Union species had observers here. Form their spot they had a good view towards the Narth alcove. The delegate of the Karthanian said.” It appears this event is not important enough for the Narth to be here.”

Viertlvorfier corrected.” He is there. Find the Alcove of the Planet Nilfeheim and you find the Narth and the Saresii delegates.”

The female Togar diplomat growled. “They call them the ‘Wise Men of the Assembly’. They all have voices here but theirs is always listened too.”

The light in the Sphere of Assembly dimmed away and in its center a huge holographic projection established itself and a narrator told a short version of the Unions history accompanied by historical visuals. After it was done, an announcer said.” We will now play the Union anthem. This year it is sung by Union school students of all 5021 Member civilizations and active Union Schools from right here at Pluribus to as far as the School at Far Out in the Andromeda Galaxy. This amazing first time ever live broadcast of so many voices is made possible by a Multi Relay GalNet feed and the timing, audio and mix control is done live by Mother machine herself.”

The Holo showed the Union flag and then Individual Avatars appeared and true to the announcer from all members’ species. Their voices ranged from subsonic to transonic and every frequency in between made this rendition both incredibly beautiful and haunting at the same time. Viertlvorfier had to applaud to whoever had the idea for this. It was mass propaganda and mass manipulation in its finest form. He could easily sense the millions of unshielded minds around him and the patriotic feelings rising. Viertlvorfier was convinced that all this assembly and all this open voting and everyone had a voice concept was nothing more than a front, a façade and there was a small hidden group making the real decisions, just as the Kermac did.

The Speaker of the Assembly, just recently elected Goo Snak, and a Blue of all things opened the festivities.

“What are his political views?” asked the Karthanian directly addressing the Kermac.

Normally he did not like to be addressed so informal by a lesser and inferior being, but being seen as the well informed and knowledgeable had its charms and so he decided to answer. “He is the darling of the masses as he has a Pan Saran Grandmother and claims to have Terran roots too. He belongs to the AGC, Association of Galactic Citizens and they are very conservative.”

The Shiss participated for the first time.”The AGC has no political power really. All power comes from the Union Citizens and via their representatives.But it is the largest political oriented association of the Union and from what I understand, the last nine Speakers were AGC members. Besides the Assembly speaker has not much influence or power.”

The light dimmed further and the Holo now showed deep space with the planet Pluribus clearly visible in the lower half and two well-known GalNet News Anchors in floating seats appeared. The Shiss hissed angry as one of the Anchors was a Purple throat Shiss and the other was a human woman from a place called Ceres. Then their images faded but their voices were still audible.”This year’s parade has many surprises and here comes the first one.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.