Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Part 43: INTERLUDE : PLURIBUS

Pluribus was even more crowded and busier during Union week than usual. Egill had returned from Nilfeheim only a few days ago. He stood nor far from the Northern door and entrance into the Sphere of the Assembly, it was entrance he always used. From there it was only a short elevator ride to the Alcove of Planet Nilfeheim.

The assembly sphere was a complete ball on the insie and only from the outside it appeared like a huge dome, meeting the ground at its equator. The outside area all around the sphere was called the Assembly Park. Beautiful, serene and meticulous maintained; a thousand meters wide, with grass, trees, lakes and walk paths. Plants and sculptures of many thousand worlds shared space with little pavilions, temporary art exhibits and licensed mobile vendors. At any time you could see Pluribans, as the inhabitants of this world called themselves doing sports, enjoying a picnic on the grass. Many thousands citizens came to ring park just for lunch every day. Despite its popularity it still appeared serene and empty during most of the year. Not today, the park was filled all around the Sphere with millions of Union week spectators, waiting for the big parade and the opening of the famous Fest of Cultures.

His Saresii friend also gazed outside through the 100 meter tall transparent window front and marveled at the strolling laughing and merry masses.

They both stood inside the so called ‘Sphere Corridor’. Which was at the equator level inside the Sphere walls. It was 76,000 meters long and if you were so inclined to walk the seventy six kilometers, you could walk all around this enormous structure.

This 600 meter wide corridor had a gleamning, polished floor made of white granite. The ceiling was 200 meters above.This corridor and millions of offices, conference rooms, cantines, bath rooms and utility rooms sandwiched between the outer sphere wall and the actual Inner sphere all the way up to the apex and the nadir of the Assembly Sphere.

Here in this corridor new member species could set up displays to showcase their cultures. Very often cultures decided to introduce themselves to others with their traditional foods, music and art. The Sphere corridor was also called the Concourse with food courts, restrooms, info kiosks and little shops selling things representatives to the Assembly of the Union liked to consume or have.

Today, like during every Union Week celebration, the usually austere and empty corridor was occupied all around with tables, booths and tents. As almost every member planet and civilization had set up a booth, tent or table; offering their societies food and drink specialties.

Of course food companies, drink and snack makers, restaurant chains and the like had their booths up as well, giving out samples of their products. This mad house of flavors, scents and smells. Columns of steam escaping the many energy curtains mingled with every imaginable color. Sounds, music and voices almost assaulted every sense. It was known as the opening event of the Fest of Cultures and would last till late at night, when concerts, music bands, theatre and dance exhibits would entertain the crowds and food and drink was free of charge for Union Citizens.

Not far from the two were the booths and tents of Nilfeheim. Encouraged by their last success, more Inn Keepers, leather and fur dealers had set up shop.

Egill smiled as he saw big Hogun Olafson lifting a full barrel of ale of an Arti Grav cart as if it was empty. Behind the sales tables was Elena setting up the register and behind her helping unpacking souvenirs and trinkets was little Exa, who wasn’t so little anymore. In the tent behind them was Midril stirring a huge kettle with stew, while a dozen helpers diced fish and other ingredients in a frenzied pace.

Sif in her finest leathers, fur cape and sword balanced two bowls came over.To Egill’s annoyance handed one to Algear. He made his best grumpy face and snarled at her. “The other bowl will better be for me!”

“Sorry Uncle Egill, but this one is for your Narth friend.”

Egill cursed and turned and looked right at the Narth representative. “Could you not make at least a little noise when you do your sudden appearance?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.