Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Part 42: ERIC

Elfi did not fall, Krabbel caught her.

“Wetmouth check her out! Hans raise alarm.” I yelled and Har-Hi and I were almost at the same time next to the door leading into our small hygiene facility. Lacking any other weapon I pulled my 45 and Har Hi produced a long knife.

Wetmouth said. “She was stung by something. Circuit I need your nanites.”

Hans was speaking to the Computronic reporting medical emergency and potential intruder alert.

Har-Hi saw it first and pointed it out to me with a stare and a raised eyebrow. It was something small and almost transparent that retreated into the drain. Har-Hi dashed past me and stabbed his long thin blade down the drain and with a flick of his wrist splatted a thin underarm long, slithering thing of a watery jelly like consistence against the wall. It was a slug or snake like creature with almost completely transparent gelatin like body and small visible organs inside.

Seeing Har-Hi dealing with the creature I went back to the dorm to see after Elfi to see Medics had arrived taking Elfi away. Wetmouth nodded. “She’s going to make it.”

Marines arrived as well and Har-Hi came out the bath room with a laundry bag, and it was moving.

Lt. Merkus was there a heartbeat later and he ordered everyone to be quiet and then me to give a report. After I finished, Har-Hi handed him the bag. “We found this in the drain, Sir. I think it is a Bonglee.”

Merkus gasped. “How could that be? The pipes are Mini Bot inspected and lead to the break down recyclers. There hasn’t been a Bonglee incident in decades.”

I actually snapped at him. “The same way Spindlars commit suicide.”

Shaka pointed at the bathroom. “You are telling us that has happened before, Sir? Taking a shower aboard the Devi is not safe? What are those things?”

Merkus said. “I know you are all upset, especially since one of your comrades got hurt and I will overlook what has been said, but from now on you all will act like Midshipmen and we will get to the bottom of this.”

Through the open door I saw Clusen; behind him among other midshipmen of course Suppor and I said. “Yes Sir, we will act like Midshipmen and if we find that someone had a hand in this, I will challenge this person to a duel and make sure this someone will never again harm anyone.”

I said that looking past Merkus and straight at Clusen.

Before he or anyone else could respond, someone out in the Corridor yelled.” Attention, Captain on deck!”

Everyone stood in attention as Captain Harris, his usually meticulous combed silver hair in a state of disarray, most likely he had been sleeping as the news reached him. In this entire almost chaotic situation his sudden appearance had a calming effect on everyone. He was the Captain of the biggest ship in the fleet and yet he came down personally and my already high opinion of him raised another notch.

Right behind him, running the Ship’s Chief of Security and he stopped only a few steps behind the Captain who looked slowly around and then at the bag, one of the Marines held.

It was dead quiet and then the Captain said to the Chief. “I want every man, every robot and every Nanite we got and have every inch of piping and conduit examined. You personally assured me that all the Bonglee had been found and terminated.”

“Of course Sir. It will be done right away but let me state Sir and on my honor. This Bonglee must have come from somewhere else. The incident with the Shaiman Dissident is over eight years ago. We scanned and inspected everything and been to space dock for a level One inspection twice and that includes a complete decontamination, Sir. Besides Bonglee do not live that long.”

The Captain nodded and looked at us. “I also do not believe lightning strikes twice, I want to know why a promising and good Midshipman commits suicide and I want to know how a Bonglee ends up stinging another.”

When Elfi came back the next day there was a lot of hugging and not many dry eyes and she assured us she was fine. We all were certain it was not an accident but a deliberate attempt to kill one of us. Elfi even knew the motif. “The Captain will select two Midshipmen of the best team and they are to accompany the Captains party and go to the Diamond Ball. It is the most prestigious and most formal event in the entire Galaxy.”

Wetty snapped her fingers. “Ever since Merkus is our Head Instructor the scoring is fair. The Devastator Knights were at the fourth place since yesterday, but now that the Yellow team is incomplete they are again on the third spot and if one of us would be out, they would compete with the Blue team for the first spot, but one of them will leave the ship, due to a family emergency.”

I sat on our small table and said. “I know Clusen and Suppor are mad as hell ever since we took first place, but why would they risk all this to participate at some ball? With the Yellow team out of the way they could have waited and take one of us out later don’t make it so obvious.”

Elfi said. “Because I think it has to do with Clusen and Suppor being of noble houses on their home worlds. They are of families that lost much influence and prestige, it would be an enormous boost to their causes if they can rub shoulders with the influential and mighty houses and seen doing it.”

Circuit coming out of the bath room said. “I installed a few things to assure nothing will ever come through sinks or vents again.” Then he put down his small tool box and said. “I don’t understand this noble business. No offense Princess but what influence do they have on the Union?”

Elfi who had been hugged by Krabbel untangled herself from his legs completely said. “No offense taken, Chrome dome.” Then she sat down as well. “The Union allows for all kinds of governments. Terrans are a Republic; the Blue are ruled by a Tribune. The Ult have completely done away with local governments and use Union Law and consider the Assembly their government. The Klack are ruled by a strict monarchy. The Pan Saran still have an emperor, who is elected by their Senate, but once in power he has dictatorial authority. We, the Saran Empire are ruled by queens for over 12,000 years. My own dynasty or family rules uninterrupted for 1600 years, there are other member planets and smaller empires with Kings, Queens, Emperors and nobles.” She smiled and made an excusing gesture. “Nobles are a peculiar bunch, folks so arrogant that make the Kermac look like amateurs, men and women more concerned about the line of their dynasty than their own lives or anything else. Rigid rules of dusty traditions that make Eric’s book of traditions advanced and modern!”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.