Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)
Part 34: ERIC

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

All twelve teams were assembled in an empty cargo hold, which was part of Noob Country.

We were all standing in attention as the Captain and Admiral Stahl arrived with a group of high ranking officers and a delegation civilians and a group of Daoine in Non-Union Uniforms. I recognized the tall rat like beings from the diplomatic mission of the Hyperion.

One of the Officers a Garbini stepped forward and a lectern flickered into shape before him.” Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I am Lt. Commander Fitsemu and I am in charge of the Fleet Department that develops and evaluates training and drill scenarios throughout the fleet. I was asked by Fleet Command to accompany a delegation of Assembly members and observers of our newest Union civilization, the Daoine and show them the daily routines and drills aboard our ships. We are guests aboard this marvelous ship now for two weeks and Captain Harris allowed me to run this training simulation and our guests to observe it.”

The civilians and the Daoine all nodded with pleased faces to the words of the Garbini officer. Thanks to the lesson I received from Potsema, I knew he was male judging by his black fur. While I was checking out the delegates and the other officer the Garbini continued his address.” Our guests wanted to see real training conditions, especially as the Daoine are about to send their first candidates to the Academy.

“The Intruder Scenario you completed today is done with variations every year at every installation and aboard all our ships. It usually tests the readiness of fully trained and experienced crews, who in turn know it is a drill, so it was suggested to include midshipmen this time, which never experienced this drill before and see how they would do.”

The Garbini raised most of his tentacles.” The results amazed us all. Out of the twelve midshipmen teams eight have managed to defend their corridors and reach the TL doors and thus the objective. Three have failed and suffered heavy simulated casualties, break down of morale and structure, but we and your instructors gained valuable insights how to improve training.

“Especially interesting were the various solutions the successful teams found for the same problem. “All but one of his tentacles went down. “One team repelled all invaders, prepared a counter attack and destroyed several of the simulated enemy ships, without any casualties.”

The Garbini motioned to one of the officers standing with the delegation and the human Lieutenant stepped next to the methane breathing Lt Commander and said.” We expected a much higher percentage of failure. You all can be proud of what you achieved. Our guests were pleased and impressed with all your performances.

The delegation requested a little exhibition of your skills and after that there will be a 24 hour break of all duties and you all are welcome to explore the R&R facilities aboard the Devi.”

Seamlessly the Garbini picked up after the last words of the Lieutenant.” Since it was quite a challenging day we want to show our appreciation to all and before you enjoy your rest and recreation time there will be a dinner buffet served right here.”

The Captain smiled and said. “Everyone at ease.”

No we all cheered the good news.

One of the Daoine went to the lectern. “We are greatly impressed by this marvelous and mighty ship, but what impresses us far more is the diversity of beings among your crews and here among the Midshipmen classes. As a civilization that until now was in what you call Free Space, we were quite frequently the target of Dai raids and it surprised us to learn that there are Dai in the Union.”

He laughed. “Like our distant relatives the Torath and the Holdians we are often underestimated and because of our size, but we survived for many centuries and repelled numerous invasion attempts. We are a proud race of warriors and in this light we would like to see your fighting skills and tell our young who are eager to join about what we hope to witness and observe.”

He then addressed Lt. Clusen directly. “We are impressed by your training results as we were made to understand that you are the chief instructor.”

Clusen seemed to grow several inches. “Yes I am in charge of the Midshipmen field training.”

“With so much talent assembled before us we wonder who you consider the most promising.”

“The Devastator Dragons, the Green Team, Sir is exceptional. I already recommended them to participate in this year’s Reagan Trophy challenge.”

“Yes, we heard you praise the Green Team with great pride and zest during the exercise. Yet their performance was perhaps not as anticipated, but I am sure they will do so now in the upcoming skill demonstration.”

“There is no question; all demonstrations will be done by the Green Team. The others are simply not up to my demanding standards, but there is of course still time before some of them graduate and improve that.”

Clusen motioned Suppor’s team to step forward and said. “It is my third year as instructor and I have never seen better. Midshipman Suppor leads his team with exemplary skill and precision. I picked him to demonstrate to you the high skill level in personal combat.”

“We really look forward to this demonstration. We see a Dai Than among the Midshipmen and their fighting skills are legendary and well known to us, but since he is not in the group of your best students we are eager to see the one you consider best face the Dai in a test of skill.”

Har Hi could barely contain his grin as he looked at Suppor. Clusen could not hide his displeasure of the situation. It did not help as Captain Harris said.” Yes Lieutenant Clusen that is a splendid suggestion then we all can see just how good your elite students are.”

Clusen lost all his glee and self-important smile. “It would not be good for morale to send my best man against one of the more mediocre students, now Midshipman Noogor is somewhat less skilled and eager to fight.”

Har Hi said. “I don’t mind taking on Noogor in any skill test and then be challenged by your best man Suppor, Sir”

A civilian delegate was not convinced. “What chance would even a Dai have against a Petharian without battle armor and weapons? I don’t understand all that much about the Fleet, but to me it seemed that this training Lieutenant just wormed himself out of putting his best man against the Dai. I personally would like to see what training you used to make a Thauran a better fighter than a Dai or a Petharian. Not to mention I see a Saturnian in the ranks.”

“It is about skills and not about strength.”

Captain Harris said. “I am eager to get to the dinner part and get this exhibition out of the way, but I must say I am eager to see the men you praised so highly in action, especially since I do want to send a team to Newport this year. So your best man will take on Mr. Hi.”

Bleachers shimmered into existence around a fight arena.

Suppor looked back and forth between Clusen and Har Hi. “You want me to fight the Dai?”

“I want you to address me correctly and yes you will fight the Dai.”

Har Hi jumped in the Arena. “Either Noogor or you, or both makes no big difference to me.”

The Petharian pushed Suppor aside and jumped into the arena as well. “I am going to rip you apart arrogant Dai.”

Har Hi attacked without another word, grabbing the Petharian by one of the outstretched arms and proved to everyone just how strong a Dai really was, throwing his four armed opponent with a crashing sound hard on the ground, then jumping and landing with both heels right were the Petharians head was attached to the torso. He was back out of reach before his opponent came to his feet, dazed and stumbling. With an angry sound the Petharian pulled his boarding sword and his blaster. Until now the audience was dead silent, but now voices complained about the weapons, but Har Hi who was five times stronger than a human of similar size, jumped in a terrific bounce and executed a flying spin kick against the gun hand, the blaster flew and faster than anyone could even see pulled one of his blades. He was inside the reach of all four arms of the Petharian and could be crushed, but his blade tip hovered right before one of the yellow eyes and hissed. “Yield or die.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.