Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)
Part 32: OLAFON'S GANG

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Har-Hi and I returned to our dorm and Mao greeted us.” Have you two decided to kill each other at a later time?”

“Yes we decided to postpone that.” Har-Hi answered.

“That is good. Because we are complete now and I am tired to be behind in everything.”

I said.” We are complete in what and where are you behind?”

“First things first.” Mao replied.” You got to meet the rest, just in case so you don’t bust furniture across someone else’s back.”

Mao stepped into the middle of the dorm room.” You know me and Krabbel. You know Circuit the X101 and you have met Hans.”

Krabbel was hanging from the ceiling and waved at me with two of his legs. Hans got up from his reinforced bed and Circuit who also was already in his bunk made a gesture of acknowledgement and turned to the wall.

Mao said.” I am sure you remember Elfi, but you haven’t met Wetmouth and Shaka Ndebele.

One of the beds privacy screen clicked off and a human with the blackest skin I had seen so far skin looked at us. He didn’t say a word and his face had a melancholic and sad expression. Mao explained. “Mr. Ndebele is from Terra and he is an Intu-Helmsman and something like an autistic savant when not under the Virtu helmet of his post.

From the bath room came a woman. She had long pink hair of shoulder length, with bangs and underneath she wore a stiff face mask of a beautiful woman’s face with open lips. I could see her eyes and real lips behind the mask. She said.” I am Wetmouth and I am a Sojonit Sister. Please don’t make any remarks or advances; I am wearing the veil of abstinence. I know what you are thinking seeing a Sojonit.”

I shrugged.” Well I guess you must be a telepath but you are reading someone else. If you can see in my mind you find have no idea what a Sojonit is or where you come from.”

She seemed surprised.” You don’t?”

Mao grinned.” She isn’t a telepath but she is rated to have empathic talents.”

“I am sorry Wetmouth, but I really don’t know what a Sojonit is.”

“Sojonites are the best and most expensive prostitutes in the Galaxy.” Har-Hi said.” They come from Sin 4 and have a temple there. It’s an ancient religious order that teaches the art of love making to its priestesses with techniques so rumors have it driving any man or woman of any species to the highest levels of ecstasy.”

She nodded.” Yes that is what I am, but I joined the Navy and I became a Citizen. I honor my culture but I wear the veil of abstinence. I cannot be hired for services.”

Mao added.” Sojonites are not allowed to show their faces to anyone, so they appear to everyone alike and no one can fall in love with one in particular. At least that’s how I understand the tradition.”

Wetmouth sat down at the table and said.” That is the reason.”

Mao pounded his fist on the table. “Hans, Shaka and Circuit get your butts out of bed and come here we have a dorm meeting and an important one.”

They all came and Circuit most reluctantly.” How can a machine find any rest with all this noise?”

Mao said.” With Eric here we are complete now. We need to vote for a Dorm eldest and we need to find a name for our gang. I am sick and tired of being last and the laughing stock of Suppor and his Devastator Knights, or the Fighting Dragons led by Midshipman Kim.”

What he said made no sense to me.” What are you talking about?”

Circuit yawned and said:” In the third year and here on the ship we are not only rated as individuals but as a team as well, there are 12 Midshipman groups, each has 9 members. Each group competes as a whole against the others. Individual scores are combined to the team’s score. It is tradition that the groups have a leader or Dorm eldest and they choose a flashy name and a logo. Because we were the only dorm with 8 and not nine we weren’t complete and our scores not counted, so we are at the bottom of the score list. The higher the score the more free time and bonuses and so forth.”

Mao added.” You met Merkus; he is a stickler about regulations but he is fair if you follow the rules. If you get to know him he is cool. But our main instructor, the one giving out assignments and such is Lt. Clusen is the most annoying asshole you ever going to meet and he openly favors Suppor’s group named the Devastator Knights. They are at the first rank in everything.”

“I will pretend I have not heard the last sentence.” Said Lieutenant Merkus coming in.

“Officer on deck.” Mao yelled.

“So Olafson’s Gang is finally complete. There is a surprise drill tonight, but I exempt you. I know you did not have time to get to know each other and sort your team out like the others.” With those words he left.

I was quite surprised at that and Mao grinned. “Told you, he’s a stickler but fair.”

Har-Hi said.” I want Eric to be our leader. I respect you all but I feel better if he is the one. He did a good job on the bridge so the scuttlebutt has it.

Krabbel said.” Hands or legs up. I count 8 Eric, you’re it.”

“Hold it I don’t know anything about those things you talked about. How can I lead you? I don’t even know you.”

“Too late, you’re it.” Circuit said.” Next point, we need a name.”

Elfi said “I don’t want anything like “Flagship’s best” or “Devastator Dragons”. That is so cheesy. I bet a thousand Midshipman groups before us had the same names.”

“I want to go back to bed.” Circuit complained.” So make suggestions.”

Shaka rolled his eyes and said.” Me too. Lt. Merkus calls us Olafson’s Gang. Mao calls us gang all the time. So what’s wrong with that?”

“What kind of group spirit is that if you use my last name?” I objected.

“Olafson’s gang it is. I vote for it.” Circuit almost cut me off.

Krabbel counted hands (and his leg) and said.” That was not so bad. We are complete have a name and all we need is a logo.”

I said with determination.” Not my face.”

Hans volunteered.” I am going to design one tonight. I like designing and drawing things.”

“Alright then, meeting adjourned.” Mao pounded the table and Circuit was back in his bunk before Mao’s fist hit the table a second time.

Clusen was human and most likely from one of the many colony worlds. He clearly was of mixed stock and it seemed as if he had Saran roots. He had blue eyes but the characteristic dark almost olive colored skin tone humans from Saran had and also black hair, he wore it in a page boy style cut, just a little shorter than Elfi. This style was very popular among Sarans of both sexes. All Midshipmen were assembled in a university style lecture room. Semicircular benches arranged in tiers before a raised stage like podium with a lectern in the middle.

Now I understood what the others tried to explain to me the previous night, the Midshipmen sat in groups and to nine and they all had different color arm bands with a logo in the center.

Clusen arrived at exactly 0801 and we all got up and stood in attention.

He looked the class over and then he focused on us and particular at me.” Ah who have we here? Mr. Olafson decided to leave ship commanding business to those who are really qualified.”

Suppor and his knights chuckled.

“Now since your group is now complete, have you thought of a name and who is going to be your senior? Why don’t you answer me that one Mr. Har-Hi?”

“Sir we are the Olafson Gang and Eric Olafson is our leader and Mr. Kleinschmitt designed a logo for us, Sir.”

“Olafson’s gang? That simply does not have the same ring as Devastator Knights, Or Flagship’s Best, but Olafson’s gang it is. Your group color will be Black is usually not used since our uniforms are black, but the good colors have all been chosen.”

Again there was suppressed laughter from other groups and someone said.” It will symbolize their grief for being last very nicely”

Again there was snickering and laughing.

He made a face as if he felt sorry for us. “You couldn’t find a better artistic talent in your group than a Saturnian? Well let me see what it is supposed to be.”

Hans stood clenched his titanic fists in suppressed anger. “Sir I choose a stylized rendering of an old steel chain with nine links symbolizing our group.”

“You may wear it. It is very simple but then you did it and that is probably the best a Saturnian can come up with.”

I wondered what Clusen had against us. Was this another test? Did he act this way because he was told? He insulted in an unprofessional manner. I had my multi com switched and recorded the audio, just in case I needed evidence later.

He made a gesture for all to sit down and then he activated a field screen that came to life floating behind him. “Computronic update senior class roster. Dorm 12 is now complete and the group will be known as Olafson’s gang.”

The view screen showed a list with the group names and behind each group name a tally of the accumulated score.

Our name appeared on the bottom of the list, much to the amusement of the others, especially the Knights who were on top.

“There have to be losers in any competition and it looks like Olafson’s Gang has taken that particular honor.” Clusen said with an unveiled grin. He then commanded the system:” Computronic daily update of all scores.”

Now something happened Clusen did obviously not expect. Our name jumped all the way to the top with a score total that made the Knights a distant second.

Close’s chin dropped to his chest and he said with a louder voice.” Computronic double check the results. Actualize from current personnel files.”

“Check complete, all files are updated.” Nothing changed on the read out.

“Computronic explain the clearly incorrect and improbable high score of the Olafson’s Gang.”

“The Group Olaf son’s gang is complete and their combined score is the value displayed. There is no error. Citations earned by the members of that group count for 91% of the score value. This includes the Medal of Honor, the Silver Star and Purple Heart accredited to group member Olafson. Medal of Honor valued at 10,000 points. Silver Star valued at 5,000 points. Group members Olafson and Har-Hi have received a citation for Gallantry and completing a salvage and rescue mission from Captain Harris at 0500. Science score obtained by group member Wetmouth is the highest score recorded by any Midshipman since...”

“Enough. I order you to reset the score board as it was with the Olafson gang at the bottom.”

“Unable to comply, score system is a Fleet Headquarters program and altering of input values or programing can only be made by Fleet Headquarter authorized personnel. This system has forwarded your error report and reset request to the appropriate departments.”

Clusen was getting angry.” Computronic, never mind. Disregard my last command. No altering is necessary.”

“No altering has been done. Error report has already been filed, score system is a...”

He turned the screen off and faced us

Suppor protested.” Lt. Clusen, I demand you do something about that. I do not accept second place.”

“Mr. Suppor sit down. You will address me properly and with respect.”

Clusen then said.” I will investigate those obviously false citations. No Midshipman could possibly have the Medal of Honor, this was done by altering records, I will see that you are spaced, Mr. Olafson.

“In the meantime the Olafson gang has an appointment at environmental, cleaning tanks. All others will report to the weapon range.”

On our way we ran into Lt.Merkus.”

“Where do you think you are going?” he asked.

I answered.” Sir we are to report to Environmental and clean tanks.”

“Why? What have you done this time?”

“Lt. Clusen takes offense that I was rewarded the Medal of Honor Sir. He accused me of altering records.”

Just then Clusen came around the corner and stopped in his tracks.

Merkus said.” Lt. Clusen?”

“They tampered with the Score system, Sir. I am on my way to Personnel to find proof. Olafson here has the audacity to claim he has the Medal of Honor.”

“I checked and verified Mr. Olaf son’s citations. He was indeed so decorated, matter of fact he is the highest decorated member aboard this vessel, except Captain Harris and the Old Man himself. I was on my way to apologize for not saluting this morning. Tampering with service files is a very serious charge and if you are certain it happened we must alert security.”

“I want them in environmental. I do not explain myself to you in front of them.”

“Very well.” Merkus agreed and turned to us.” Report to environmental for now.”

We just reached the lowest deck when we were called back. No explanation was given but we joined the others at advanced weapons training.

Here a Marine Lt instructed us in the use of various weapons. It was basically the same as in year one of the academy. Here the instructor deepened our knowledge of the technical aspects of different weapons and introduced us to the standard weapons of other civilizations as well as those of our enemies. This instructor was very knowledgeable and explained to us this morning how a Nul Thermo Shocker worked, how a human could fire the heavy weapon and how it was assembled.

“Most civilizations abandon previous concepts and concentrate on the new ones they developed.” He explained standing by a table full of various guns and weapons.” He picked one up. It was underarm long, looked like polished gold or brass and the designer had shaped it into a stretched birds head. It looked very artistic and elegant.” Can someone tell me what I am holding here?”

It was Elfi who answered him.” Sir, this is a Horus Ray Falcon Beamer. It is an antique. Saran’s no longer use these, except to arm ceremonial units.”

“Indeed it is. As you see it is a beautiful weapon, much artisan details went into the design. The beam emitter incorporated into the beak, while the arm of the user is almost hidden underneath these stylized golden wings. Saran weapon designers changed little on the actual weapon design and the technology underneath ever since Saran technology discovered focused Energy projection, over 8000 years ago. It is very unlikely you will run into one of these in any combat scenario, but I still want you to familiarize yourself with the weapons I have laid out, samples of many of our member cultures. You can learn much about a culture by evaluating their weapons.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.