Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Part 31: DECK 54

The Devastator was an enormous ship and the outer corridor of Deck 54 circled the ship at the horizontal equator of the main hull. It was almost seventy clicks long. There were IST (Inter ship transport) stations in regular intervals, every 20 meters was a security door, open during normal operations that could be closed in an eye blink and reinforced with force field curtains. Dividing the entire ship in millions of individual sealed compartements.All Union military ships had the same feature, it hampered the progress of a potential intruder or boarding party, could isolate and quarantine sections of the ship or limit casualties in the case of hull breaches. There were two slide belts in the middle of the hexagonal shaped corridor, one for each direction.

Deck 54 was divided like a pie into seventy sectors. From the main outer corridor, passageways led like the spokes of a wheel to the center. Experienced crew members always started from the center to go to whatever destination they needed to go, that was something I learned much later however. Each Deck was futher divided in Sector, Sub Sector and Segment. Each Sector had ten sub sectors and each Sub sector 10 Segments. All very logical marked with signs pictograms and color coding. You could ask the ever present Computronic for directions or request a Direction light, and a small projected ball of light hovered before you and get you were you needed to go.

IST connections carried you close to your destination anyway. All this was great, but not with seven or twelve beers and a few aquavits to top them off on an almost empty stomach. I had to tell Stahl about the Y’All first, then about my time aboard the Hyperion, about Nilfeheim and basic training. While I wasn’t really drunk I was certainly not sober anymore. No I had to correct myself, I was drunk. That bottle of Aquavit was empty when I left. So it took me almost an hour to find “Midshipman Country”. That was a segment of Deck 54, officially designated Sector Nine, Subsector nine, Segment Blue four but commonly known as Noob Country.

Before I could find my quarters and my bunk, Lt. Merkus found me, displaying careful coifed locks and a leathers chest plate, he was without a doubt Pan Saran. Leather Chest plate meant he came up from the ranks before becoming an officer.

He eyed me disapprovingly. “Ah his excellency Ex Captain Olafson decided to show up after all. Wearing Captains gold illegally and you are intoxicated too. Looks like you needed the entire width of the corridor to navigate. You are neck deep in trouble, Mister.”

That triade and the prospect to end the day in the brig helped to sober me up a little. “Sir I had no opportunity to change my uniform yet. I had a beer with Admiral Stahl and I am off duty, Sir.”

“Oh you’re drinking buddies with God now and you think rules don’t apply to you. I have news for you, Mister. Down here I am God and I make the rules as I see fit and you will follow them or spend the rest of the year in the brig.”

I didn’t say a word. I knew he would not listen and found a welcome target in me. I simply stood in attention and waited for the things to come. I had a hard time to suppress a giggle that stuck in my throat; oh Odin let me pass this test. I was drunk.

Merkus Com unit beeped and I heard Stahl’s voice. “Mr. Merkus I have relieved Midshipman Olafson from his temporary assignment commanding the ship. He is on his way to you. Give him at least fourteen hours rest before you begin regular training.”

Merkus pressed his lips together. “Yes Sir. He is right here. I was about to send him to the brig and have him appear before a hearing board. This insubordinate midshipman appears to be heavily intoxicated and parades around in Captains Gold, Sir.”

Stahl’s voice became sharper. “That was my fault, Lieutenant, but he is off duty and wears that uniform from his last assignment. So why is he sent to the brig? I will be present at that hearing if there is one.”

“He is not sent to the brig, Sir. I thank you for clarification and I will see that he gets rest.”

“Luitenant, I don’t condone special privileges but I also oppose bullying and rank abuse, Stahl out.”

Merkus was not happy with that development I could tell and he said.”Follow me. I guess the little prince needs a beauty rest. Enjoy it while you can.”

My quarters so it turned out was a dorm with nine beds and nine lockers. There was a hygiene facility attached to the dorm. A table and a collection of chairs completed the rooms’ inventory. No one else was here. To my surprise I found my space-bag sitting before a locker labeled Olafson and one bed was also labeled with my last name.

“Want me you to wipe your nose or perhaps tell you a bed time story? Nothing is too good for the drinking buddy of the Man.”

“Sir, I know whatever I say to you will make things probably worse but let me say this. I did not ask for what happened to me. It simply happened. On my honor I do not intend to disrespect you or disobey your orders. I will do my best to satisfy your training requirements and accept punishment you see fit.”

He gave me a cold look but his tone was less harsh. “Maybe you didn’t get enough sleep up there. So hit the rack. Besides your rest are Admirals orders.”

“Thank you Sir.” I saluted and he left.

I was more tired than I realized as I climbed into the bed after arranging my locker according to regulations and taking a shower.

How long I had slept I couldn’t say but a noise woke me. I felt groggy and exhausted, I could not have slept very long, Board lights still were in day mode and I went to bed around 1400 hrs. Then I got shocked in to bright alertness, as if someone threw a bucket of Ice Eels at me because red skinned Dai-Than walked through the door.

They had boarded the ship, was my first thought. I had overlooked another Dai force or perhaps they had used some way of fooling our sensors and managed to board and overwhelm ship security.

I catapulted out of the bed, grabbed a chair yelled. “Intruder alert.”

The Dai went into a fighting stance, but to late my attack was a total surprise to him. The Dai even wore a fleet uniform.

I slammed the chair across his head and when he stumbled, dropped kicked him into the stomach. I didn’t see a weapon or blaster on him, he was taller than me and very athletic built. My drop kick slammed him against the wall and I jumped to finish him off, but was caught in mid-air by hairy legs.

“Stop Eric.” It was Krabbel the Archa who held me.

“Krabbel, We are being boarded, this is a Dai.”

“No Eric we are not being boarded. This is midshipman Har-Hi and he is our and your dorm mate.”

The Dai was a mess. He was bleeding from the head wound and held his stomach as he came to his feet. He coughed looking at me in the most hostile fashion. “Who is this?”

Now I noticed Mao-Mao was here as well, Circuit and Elfiatra came through the door after him.

Krabbel said. “This is Eric Olafson our Dorm mate.”

I realized I had made a terrible mistake. I stared at the Dai and asked meekly.”You are a Midshipman?”

He stiffened and stared at me with anger.”Yes Human I am.”

I lowered my head.” I am sorry. I am really sorry. I did not know there are Dai in the Fleet. I just came from the bridge fighting a Dai Fleet and thought we have been boarded. You may call the Lieutenant now and have me arrested. I will take full responsibility for this.”

“I will not call this half-wit. It is I who demands satisfaction. We are going to the gym now and we will fight and there I will kill you.”

I sighed.” Then let’s go.”

Mao tried to stop us. “Har-Hi, what he did was awful but an honest mistake. You are a Dai you are five times stronger than him, you will kill him and that wouldn’t be good.”

“No human cowardly attacks me, wounds me and lives. I am Dai.”

The Gym was not too far from our quarters and had the usual fitness and exercise equipment.

The Dai pointed at a sparring square for hand to hand exercises and said.” I am Dai Than trained since birth to be warrior. I have bested the finest and strongest among my kind. I am stronger than you and far superior in fighting skills. If you step into that ring with you I will kill you, but you are just a weak and cowardly human and I will accept your surrender now.”

“I am Eric Olafson, Neo Viking from Nilfeheim. You might be stronger and far superior and all that. I apologized for my action, Dai, but if fighting you and dying is the only way to make things right then I fight you and perhaps die, but I will not now or ever surrender or have my honor questioned by you or anyone. So let’s get it on.”

“You value honor I see. I will respect you for that and make it quick.”

He stepped into the ring and if only half of what I had learned and heard about the Dai-Than was true he was superior to me in every aspect, especially now that I would not have the element of surprise and still felt drunk and groggy, so I had to rely on swift unannounced attack again I followed him and hammered my elbow in his neck. “I am sorry but I cannot let you get the upper hand.”

He staggered forward, whirled around and caught me with a spinning kick at the shoulder; he was so fast that I was still trying to block it when he connected.

The kick had been aimed at my temple, and hit my upper arm block instead. My shoulder throbbed with pain and his fist that followed the kick was blurring fast. This time I did not face some bar room brawler but a trained killer. I blocked it better this time and executed a throw Master Alema would have been proud off, he did not fall as I expected but catapulted. He advanced and hit me with his left fist at the chest, barley missing my solar plexus, sending black stars of pain before my eyes. I knew I would not last much longer, the last hit had send me to the floor with no air in my lungs left, I rolled away from a furious stomp attack that would have crushed my rib cage. I yelled, Har-Hi behind you.”

He instinctively turned and I buried my knee with all force I could muster between his legs, hoping Dai males where as vulnerable as human males. He was and that anatomical fact most likely saved my life, because he was bending forward in pain his hands moving to his crotch and I used my chance and hit him with my head under the chin with everything I could muster.

He stumbled backwards, bleeding from his mouth and spitting a tooth into my direction I could see he already recovered and I was not able to carry on much longer. A sharp voice stopped us both.” What in Cesar’s name is going on here?”

Mao yelled. “Officer on deck.”

Lt. Merkus approached and I struggled to get into attention. The Dai could barely stand as well.

He looked me up and down and then he inspected Har-Hi.” Olafsons face looks like a raw steak and from the looks of it a broken arm. Har-Hi has a head wound and looks like run over by gang of robots. While there is nothing wrong with my seniors using their spare time practicing or exercising, don’t even try to tell me you were in a friendly sparring match.”

Merkus faced Har-Hi. “Were you trying to kill each other?”

“Yes Sir.”

“Let me guess you were angry at Olafson because he blasted that entire Dai Fleet?”

“Not initially but yes Sir I must admit it added to my rage, Sir.”

“Mr. Olafson you were challenged and perhaps insulted by the Dai?”

“No, Sir. I started it.”

“I might have overlooked the fighting, but I won’t allow any bigotry under my watch. Mr. Har-Hi if you feel that strongly against Olafson for what he did then I suggest you quit this fleet and go back to your kind. Mr. Olafson if you insulted the Dai and mocked him because you killed his kind then I will make sure you won’t come back for duty because I have you thrown out of the Navy.”

Mao still in attention said.” Sir Permission to speak, Sir.”

“You witnessed it all?”

“Yes Sir.”

“Then go ahead give me a detailed account.”

“Olafson was sleeping like a rock when we came of duty and I ran into a chair making a noise that startled him and just then Har-Hi walks in. Olafson literally flies out of bed grabs a chair and hammers Har-Hi with it. While he yells Intruder Alert. They never met before, Sir. When we were assigned to this dorm and introduced to our dorm mates, Olafson was on the bridge. He pounded the Dai pretty hard but Krabbel separated them. Olafson explained that he just came from a battle fighting the Dai and the first thing he saw when he woke was a Dai and he thought we had been boarded. He actually recommended that we call you so he can be placed under arrest and face charges, but Har Hi wanted to fight and kill him to regain his honor or something like that. That is all and that’s what happened sir.”

“I could check the records but I know you speak the truth, Mr. Mao”

He was not as angry as before. “Get to Sick bay and get fixed up. Since you both had enough energy to fight. You can’t be too tired. So after you are cleared from sickbay I want you both report to environmental services at Bottom Deck and report to Chief Harboro. There are environmental tanks that need cleaning and you both will do that until further notice.”

“Aye Sir.” We both responded.

“I will leave it at that, this time, but if I even suspect you both trying to do this again. I will go by the book, understood?”

“Yes Sir”

Sickbay had us fit for duty in an hour and we went to Chief Harboro as ordered.

We tried the best to ignore each other on our way to Bottom Deck.

A star ship of any size had environmental systems. It was here where atmosphere was provided, air recycled and waste processed.

Water was part of this cycle and among the most important commodities aboard a star ship. Every drop of it was returned to the system. Nanites and engineered bacteria processed the waste-materials that were taken out of the water in huge tanks, broken down into raw material groups to be recycled into food, clothing and other things.

The Devastator was no exception and because of its size the Environmental department was just as humongous and located at the lowest deck, called Bottom Deck in some ships and basement in others.

Harboro was a stocky built Ult and he had taken to the Terran habit of smoking. He smoked a big brown objects and he was chewing on it at the same time as he examined us.” Ah Midshipmen, I just love to see you down here. Tank 345 needs cleaning and I think my cleaning bots are otherwise occupied.”

We followed him up a ladder and to a round access door. Harboro took the brown smoke thing out of his fish mouth and pointed with it at a hatch hat was opening slowly.” The task is simple. Take a scraper and scrape off all the algae and slime of the walls and throw it on the conveyor at the bottom of the tank. Now I am Ult and don’t have any sense of smell but I was told that humans find the smell revolting. So if you throw up, use the conveyor. Have fun you two.”

He was not kidding, the smell was the worst stench I ever smelled and the first whiff of it made me gag so bad I thought I suffocate.

Dai’s seemed to be just as sensitive to odors as humans, he didn’t fare much better.

The inside of the tank was immense and at least 20 meters in diameter and almost 50 meters high. With Grav boots we walked up the walls and started scraping. The slime was dark green almost black and sticky as warm tar.

I lost track of time scraping and gagging, and at one point I only dry heaved there was nothing left to throw up. The smell was so thick I could taste it almost feel it on my tongue and the very thought of having that oozing slime in my mouth made me gag even more.

“I wonder why they don’t issue breathing gear for this task.” I cursed.

“Because it would not be as revolting, there is no need for anyone to do this. Nanites and robots can do it. It’s meant as a punishment.” Har-Hi answered.

I looked up the walls and what we had done so far and sighed.” We are going to be here for a long time.”

“A long time indeed, I fear this is not the only tank. There are at least 344 more.”

“Do they have tanks like this on Dai-Ships?”

“Yes, ours are ball shaped but do the same thing.”

“Ever cleaned one?”

“Considering what we Dai eat, I am thankful I never have.”

We hadn’t cleaned more than maybe ten percent when the Ult stuck his head in. “Hey you two. Captain Harris wants you both on the double. That means right away and no side tours. He is waiting for you at Flight control, Hangar deck 12.”

We dropped the scrapers and went as fast to the next IST as we could.

A human female officer exited the IST as we entered and she put her hand over her mouth and started gagging as she passed us.

“I bet we stink up that IST car too. “ I grinned.

“Perhaps the next users will throw up getting a nose of this.” Har Hi grinned back.

“I wish we had time to clean up before we face the Captain. It’s not a good thing to make the Captain gag.”

“We can’t, no side tours.”

“We are going to be in trouble for that, no matter what.”

“Well there are 344 more tanks.”

Moments later we reached the flight deck and a Lt Commander I had not seen before cursed and stepped back.” Are you two insane?”

Harris turned, looked at us and also stepped back.” Oh my lord what an awful stench. I ordered them to come on the double. I did not know they were cleaning tanks.”

He put his hand over his mouth.” Both of you get cleaned up and come back as fast as you can.”

The Lt Commander who was with the captain said. “There are hygiene facilities and an auto dresser over there. Dial the Dresser for Quasimodos.”

We found the showers and the Auto-Dressers.

Quasimodo was the slang term for the heavy destroyer suits. Usually used by Marines during boarding or planet assaults, the Destroyer suits where the pinnacle of Terran Mil Tech. It augmented a wearers strength and other abilities by a factor of 200, wearing a Destroyer suit a normal human being could lift almost 80 tons at one grav, jump, fly. Destroyer suits where called Quasimodos due to the humpback shape appearance.

Both of us returned to the Flight control room and reported to the captain.

He nodded.” That’s better. I don’t even want to know why you two had been sent to the tanks.”

The Captain clasped his hands behind his back.” We found a Dai Escape Pod or something similar drifting undamaged and sensors indicate twenty three life signs. The pod we believe came from the Dai Mother but its propulsion system appears to be damaged. I want you two to take a Rhino out there and make contact. See if you can convince them to surrender. If we board it with marines they fight to the death or they commit suicide. I was hoping you Mr. Hi can provide the cultural knowledge and perhaps get into contact with them. Mr. Olafson I thought you would be glad to see that there are survivors and I wanted you to have the chance to help in their retrieval.”

Har-Hi said.” Sir I will of course try my best to comply with your command, but I am Okthi-Dai, a traitor to them. My chances to convince them are less than anyone else’s.”

“They don’t know that, and you have the cultural knowledge. You can tell them they are not being harmed and we will provide transportation to a neutral planet or some place of exchange.”

“Aye Sir.”

A Rhino was ready for us and we climbed aboard the 60 meter craft. Rhinos where basically deep space work drones for a host of repair and recovery tasks, not very fast, lightly armed and shielded. The Cockpit was designed with crew in space or battle suits in mind and so we did not have to get out of the suits to operate the craft. Getting out of a Destroyer suit was not all that difficult, but getting in it was another thing. A trained marine who is drilled for years can do it in 10 minutes without the aid of an Auto Dresser; anyone else would probably take hours.

Har-Hi was before me and he sat down behind system operations so I took the other station which was flight control.

He turned his head.” Ready, Sir?”

“Give me a sec; I need to get the systems on standby.”

After a few moments I had complete the preflight check and said.” Ready and what’s with the Sir?”

“This is a space craft you are in charge and that means you’re the Sir.”

I tried to argue and he said.” Someone has to and if Stahl thinks you’re good enough for the Devi that means you’re good enough for me. We got no time to argue, Sir.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.