Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)
Part 17: INTERLUDE: SIF

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Sif woke, despite the sleep inducer that had been placed over her head. More out of instinct she rolled of the bed she was on and removed herself from the dazing and sleep causing Neuro-feed rays. Her mind instantly cleared up and she remembered.In her dreams she thought she felt a probing mind searching for her. In her dreams, Egill had not forgotten about her. But what would the old man say if he saw her like that? It was better he would never see her and besides those were only dreams of a sick mind.

She had to get out of here and get to a GalNet terminal, call home. Just as she tried to examine the room with the mind of a warrior, the hunger returned. The pain of the Califerm addiction cramped her muscles, made her skin crawl and her head spin with blinding pain. It was useless, Egill would not find her, no one really cared about her.No one, not Egill, not her parents would have Califerm. She pressed her teeth so hard together that one tooth cracked and splintered. She was not just some Fad Kid, she was also from Nilfeheim. The Arnske clan looked back all the way to the landing of the Stockholm. She was the first female ever to make the pilgrimage to the halls of Hasvik. She was the first female to pass the Ancient Challenge. Deep down she was more than those spoiled brats of Pluribus. Her friend Gloria became hysterical after a few drops of rain. They said there was no cure for Califerm addiction, but all the addicts she had met were soft spoiled brats. She wanted to be as tough as the toughest Nilfeheim Warrior. She wanted to show them a woman could take it and now she was losing the battle against a chemical in her blood?

She tried to fight it, she wanted to fight it and yet every fiber of her body screamed and burned for more. She barely noticed that she was throwing up, and nearly choked on the bitter tasting bile. Just as she was about to give up and think of suicide, she felt a presence.

It was not one of her captors. It was not Egill. It was something very familiar, someone she should know but could not remember. A huge white undefined shape was somehow manifesting before her inner eyes. The pain completely vanished; there was a warm feeling of love and concern. Still her mind was numb and unable to put a name to the presence. “Poor child. I tasked my Old friend to teach you and to become the next Representative of Nilfeheim, yet I forgot that he never raised girls and is so old he forgot the sometimes impulsive behavior of the young. And while I have great plans for you, I never raised young or know all there is to know about human females.” The voice was warm, full of authority and there was a hint of regret. “You stumbled Sif, but you have not fallen and you are not alone.”

In her state she did not question anymore who was talking to her. Maybe a figment of her imagination, maybe she was dead, there was no pain. “I have fallen. I have let Egill down. I let my family down and I betrayed Eric.”

“Egill is searching for you and with him are powrful friends. Their probing minds made me aware of your perill. eric is growing faster than anticipated and those who seek to harm have learned nothing substantial from you. I wish I could be with you but I must still sleep. I wish I could reveal myself to you but I must remain hidden. You young lady, must return to your way and relieve Egill when the time for that has come.”

“I am a failure. I am as far away from that goal as can be. Why must I become the next representative anyway?”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.