Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)
Part 15: ABOARD THE HYPERION

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Here I was treated like a part of the crew. Aboard the Hyperion the only difference between enlisted personnel and officers was more or less only the rank pin on your collar. Captain Zezz treaded and acted the same around the lowest First Class Starman as he did around his bridge officers. He told jokes with them, participated in games and on board sporting events and most unusual. The ship used only one mess hall. Officers and enlisted ate in the same place. There wasn’t even a specific seating order. Even the Captain sat down wherever there was space and not at a separate Captain’s table. I also noted the fierce pride and love every crew member expressed about Zezz and their Hyperion. Men went out of their way to make him proud. One day I noticed two First Class Star men scrubbing an already clean looking corridor and I asked them what they did to be punished that way and they looked at me like I was insane and one of them explained to me that nothing but a spotless corridor would do, it’s how the Captain would like it, and they went on with great effort.

I did not have much free time. When I was not on duty, I was studying books or using the simulator, but every now and then I did have a few hours of leisure time. I used the excellent swimming pool facilities of the ship or used an unoccupied gym to practice my sword play. A Petharian Sergeant who belonged to the ships Marine contingent, his name was Throok often sparred with me and instructed me in the ancient fighting technique of his four armed society. They used swords that looked very much like oversized dinner knifes, with long handles and bean shaped serrated and incredibly sharp blades. Gripping the long handles to maximize the fulcrum effect on the blade, Petharian warriors used two at the same time. It was complicated and very stylized. Every attack had a name and a number and it was not unusual to go through all of the 3000 attack and 4000 defense moves in a single training session. I could of course only handle one blade as I missed the second arm pair. Even just using one sword was exhausting because the weapon was heavy and I barely felt my arms when we were done. He spoke little and told me next to nothing about his kind or his family, but he kept on showing up for training and patiently showing me their moves.

A security officer from Earth and master of Terran martial arts called Kung Fu dazzles us with spectacular fighting moves. Almost like an aerial dance, he too taught a class and I wished I the day had more hours so I could train with him more intensively.

The Hyperion did routine duty and most of it appeared to be boring, but I enjoyed every moment and there was not a minute time to get bored. Zezzh did run regular drills and the time it took for a ship to get ready for battle was diligently recorded. Fleet standard for a Battleship was 8 minutes and 9 seconds. That was not much time for a ship and a crew of that size to go from All Green to All Red. From Zezz I learned there was an unofficial contest between all Captains of the Fleet to beat these times and Captains would often exchange and compare the times for bragging rights.

The Hyperion’s best time was 2 Minutes and 16 seconds. Zezzh said that this was acceptable and put the Hyperion near the Champion time of 2 Minutes and 1 second, recorded aboard the USS Shetland.

We just finished such a drill and my battle posting was the OPS station on the bridge. The Alarm had caught me twenty decks down, in a swimming pool. Thanks to Auto Dressers that automatically switched to emergency mode during alert and a complicated Inter Ship transport allocation program, I made it in two minutes and four seconds. As the acting XO I reported an overall ship readiness time of two minutes and fourteen, a new ship record. Zezzh was pleased.

He addressed the crew and promised a party to be held in one of the big Cargo holds. He didn’t finish his address as the Sensor Operator interrupted him. “Sir, eight Shiss Mehgar Class Cruisers under full shields and weapons appeared on the scanner horizon.”

Reports came in moments later from a colony within our patrol area that had been attacked with high casualties and damage.”

The situation seemed clear and straight forward. Shiss raiders had crossed the line and attacked a Union Colony. They had taken a chance and went much deeper in Union space. Most likely because the Colonies and Outposts near the border were better defended. Now the eight ships high tailed it back to Shiss territory. It was unfortunate for them to run into the sensor bubble of a Union Battleship.

Eight Shiss cruisers, even the feared Mehgar Class was no real match for a Union Battleship and they knew it, changed course and tried to outrun us. Six month ago it would have worked, but the Hyperion had new and faster engines and was catching up. The standard procedure was to hail and ask them to surrender so it came to a surprise to me as Zezz ordered his new Translocator Sniper canons to take aim and to take them out. Sniper Translocators were the latest and newest weapon development of the Union. These canons could only fire very small loads, siphoned twice the energy of the big batteries, but they had ten times the range of any previous TLC. Translocators had one major flaw; they could not be fired while the ship was in Quasi-space. With normal TLC’s it was possible for an enemy who travelled FTL to escape. The usual procedure to intercept was to launch Wolfcrafts or Loki Torpedoes and engage the enemy with Energy weapons to force them to drop out of Quasi-space and then engage with the main batteries as soon as they were in range. The tactical officer had have his firing solutions ready and fire the Snipers the very microsecond we dropped, or the enemy would be so far out of range we would never catch them.

The Plutonian was as good as Zezzh said he would be and six micro loads detonated inside the fleeing ships engine rooms. Even a very small Anti matter explosion inside the engines was devastating. Two of the Mehgar, lost their Quasi Space bubble instantaneous and both ships were instantly converted in pure energy. The others managed to drop controlled into Real Space, Zezzh still did not hail the ships but ordered his tactical officer to continue.” Take out their Command Decks. Leave me one or two for boarding and pound the rest to ashes.”

Zezz got up and barked.”Mr. Olafson, I am going to join the boarding party. Care to tag along?”

This was highly unusual. A captain joining marines boarding an enemy ship, it was more than that. It was against the rules as far as I knew. “Yes Sir”

He waited for me until another officer showed up to take my duty station. I never found it easy to keep up with the fast Lizard, but now it was almost impossible. I had to run, really run to keep up. There was no chance and no breath to ask him questions. Decks fourteen and fifteen were Marine Country and they all waited for him, all already wearing Destroyer Suits, with Deep space packs. The Captain didn’t even slow down as he virtually jumped into an auto dresser. I had to look around for another one, but one of the marines grabbed me and more or less stuffed me into another unit.

Moments later I stomped out wearing the heaviest, most advanced individual armor developed by Union Tech. We all looked alike and only identifiable by tactical symbols superimposed over the others inside my helmet. All suits were currently colored dull white and would chance colors adapting to their surroundings as soon as we went into battle mode, except Zezz’s. His suit was deep purple, just as his throat and on his upper right shoulder was the logo of the Union Marine Corps, but below it the number 33.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.