Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Part 11: BACK ON ARSENAL 2

I was no longer an acting Ensign; Zezzh ha to revoke the temporary rank after we returned.

I was back at the Bachelors home reading the recommended books and wondered what specialization I should choose.

I hoped to see anyone I knew from last year, especially Narth and my friends, but so far I did not even meet any of the others out of Camp Idyllic.

At first I enrolled myself in Engineering and while it wasn’t bad I soon found out I didn’t want to become an Engineer. The Instructor agreed and after two weeks of intensive tech and Xeno tech study I stopped going to engineering classes. Then I tried Communications, also for about two weeks. The Communications instructor told me at the beginning of the third week that further classes would be held at the Xeno linguistics school on Nebula III and he recommended that I did not come along. I wasn’t disappointed one bit and went to the next available study course. I did four weeks of tactical and weapons training next. This I liked best so far and would have kept with it, but again the Chief instructor took me aside and said: “I have to pick those in this class that advance and become tactical systems officers. I didn’t pick you.” This did disappoint me somewhat, especially since my test results were as good as those he picked. The most difficult and challenging specialization was Science.

Every ship, even a Battle ship had a Chief Science Officer and a whole staff of scientists as well as lab facilities. A Science officer had to specialize in at least one field of science but also needed a good grasp of pretty much everything else. Science officers usually received their PhD in the third year. When I toyed with the idea to try science I learned I learned that most of the Midshipmen already studying this had one or two PhD’s before they even joined the fleet, most of them were older. The Course instructor did not even accept my application. Helm Class had been full and there was no spot open. So it came that I stood at the Academy Class Schedule board with more than six month to go in the second year and I was as far as I was when I arrived.

There was medical, but I would be too late for that. It was much like science and I would not catch up with those who started at the beginning of the year. Besides I never saw myself as a Medic. Even though the female side of my personality liked the tight white outfits female Med Specialists could wear. But wearing a cute outfit was not argument enough for me to make a career choice out of it. There where courses available for Logistics, cargo specialist, robotics, diplomatic corps, diet specialist, legal services, financial services but all those usually led to a desk job career on a planet or a base and rarely ended up aboard a star ship. I heard a familiar voice.

“Midshipman Olafson why aren’t you in class?”

Admiral Stokes was walking towards me and with him was Captain Zezz.

I remembered I had an appointment with the Ult this afternoon anyway.

I snapped to attention. “Sir I completed my last class assignment and was hoping they let me sign up for Helm after all.”

The Commandant looked over the board. “There are plenty of seats left in financial services. Cargo Specialist classes are also available. “He glanced at the board. “It looks legal is also still available.”

“Yes Sir if you recommend one of those I will sign up.”

He turned his fish face towards Zezz.” What do you think? This Midshipman went through several classes but didn’t seem to find anything suitable.”

“I doubt he would make a very good JAG officer. Somehow a Neo Viking, as a lawyer seems wrong to me.”

If Admiral Stokes was laughing I could not really tell, but I almost suspected the blubbering sound to be his way of showing amusement. “Who knows it might be a refreshing approach to see the Skull Bashing Defense demonstrated in court.” To me he then said. “There is no regulation that says you have to pick a particular field. There are certain Midshipmen that go into third year without clear specializations. You see most Cadets are approached at the end of year one and see a Career Specialist who talks to them and recommends the path of the career for the Cadet.”

I made a sinister face. “Sir, my first year did not exactly end the same way.”

“I know Mr. Olafson. I know what happened.”

The Admiral went back looking at the board. “Field classes are very rare but in this case might be the best.”

Zezz blinked one eye at me and I failed to understand what he tried to signal, then he sighed in his almost human way. “I would be willing to take this Midshipman for the remaining time on the Hyperion, and even for the third year.”

“Can’t do that old friend. Mr. Olafson’s third year posting has been decided on already. But I could let him go for the remaining time, but he has to be on Arsenal IV by January third and no later than 0900.”

Again the Admiral looked at me directly “Attention Midshipman.”

I was burning to ask what my third year assignment was, but I was standing in attention now and could not speak unless directly asked.

“You are to report aboard the USS Hyperion as soon as possible. There you will commence field class and Captain Zezzh will determine what your study fields are.”

“Aye Sir.”

The Shiss looked me over. “I also recommend the man gets into his dress uniform.”

Stokes agreed. “Absolutely. Mr. Olafson. Go find the next Auto dresser and get into Dress Uniform. Then report at 1000 to me in my office. The clock over the class schedule board showed it was 0940 already.

“You better hurry Midshipman, on the double.”

“Aye Sir.”

I knew about the auto dresser on the 8th floor of the Academy building and found the floor deserted, no Applicants today.

I dialed Dress uniform and stepped into one of the Auto Dressers. I checked my shave and hair in a mirror.

I made it with one minute to spare and slowed down approached the Commanders assistant behind her desk and said. “Midshipman Olafson reporting as ordered.”

She greeted me with a warm smile “Go in. They’re waiting.”

In the Commandant’s office were Admiral Stokes, Zezzh, the Psi Corps General Lichfangh and the Holo Avatar of Rear Admiral Zuzzh. All wore Dress uniform and everyone was standing.

“Attention.” Webb said

I froze where I was and snapped into the required stiff stance and wondered what was going on.

Admiral Zuzzh stepped before me and Stokes handed him a black velvet box. Zuzzh then addressed me and his hissing alien voice had a solemn tone. “I have the greatest honor and privilege to represent the Assembly of the United Stars in this scared and solemn act. In their place and on behalf of the United Stars of the Galaxy I hereby present The Medal of Honor. By resolution and command of the Great Assembly, to Eric Olafson who, while a member of the United Stars Navy, distinguished himself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in action against an enemy of the United Stars. The deed performed was of great personal bravery and self-sacrifice so conspicuous as to clearly distinguish you above your comrades. Incontestable proof of the performance has been classified and cannot be discussed with anyone.”

He took a shiny medal out of the box and attached it to my chest.

Then he stood back and all of them stood in attention and saluted me.

Zuzzh broke first and took my hand. “Congratulations, Mr. Olafson. You earned that one. I am sorry it was only me who presented it and not the Speaker of the Assembly, but the circumstances...”

“Sir I am not able to comprehend what just happened but receiving any praise or citation from you, fills me with humble pride, Sir.”

The others also shook my hand and the Ult said. “This isn’t just any reward Mr. Olafson, it is the highest medal. I sure would like to know what you did, but I know ... It’s classified.”

I was speechless and glanced down at the medal.

Zezz pounded my shoulder.”Elligott sends his greetings as well and I am to let you know he has not forgotten.”

“Thank you Sir.” Was all I could think of saying as a reply.”

Stokes said. “Computronic link with Mr. Olafson’ MITI and Ribbon display. Commence update.”

The ribbon display flickered and changed and showed a bunch of colorful ribbons. More than thought I had.

Zezz put his hand on my shoulder. “We better go now. I have a Ship that needs attention.”

Webb nodded.” Go with him Mr. Olafson but be at Arsenal IV at the proper time.”

“Yes Sir. Thank you Sir.”

“I am taking my ship out for a shakedown cruise after we received some upgrades. I thought you might want to come along.”

“Yes Sir I sure would.”

“My crew is back and my ships upgrades and refits are done. I am eager to leave dirt side and go back where I belong.”

“I just started my Career I sure know what you mean.”


From a Trans Planet mover we went to an IST and after a ride straight up we emerged into a well-lit featureless tunnel and I followed him to a set of thick Ultronit reinforced air lock doors, currently wide open, guarded by two Marines. They snapped in attention as he approached and one barked: “Captain aboard.”

The corridor was slightly curved, with air locks and force field curtains every ten meters all currently open or deactivated. Even the recycled air smelled differently than on base. The smell was a mixture of metal polish, coffee and that undefined scent machines always had. There was a faint hum in the background that transcended everything and spoke of the unimaginable energies harnessed deep down in Engineering. I tried my best to keep up with the Shiss when he stopped. A round massive metal door slid into the wall in less than a heartbeat and we stepped onto the bridge.

The horse shoe shaped room had six duty stations arranged before a raised command module and eight more duty stations behind it.

The Shiss said. “This is the bridge, Mr. Olafson and here are my senior officers.” He made a gesture including the entire room

“Yes Captain, Sir.”

“Eric this is not the Academy. You don’t have to salute on the bridge. That distracts. If you come up here, all you do is give a nod to whoever is at the Conn. But you do repeat any order given while manning any of these duty stations. It’s an old tradition but a good one. Don’t snap in attention when someone looks at you. This is not the parade ground, so relax.”

“Yes Sir.”

A Klack stepped down from the Command Chair and said. “I am Lt Commander Xt’ Nartoo and the XO of this ship. Welcome aboard Ensign.” Like all Klack, he looked very much like giant man sized ants.

“Thank you Sir. I am Eric Olafson.”

The Klack XO then turned to his Captain: “The new ISAH Pods and all upgrades have been installed. The last Base engineer and technicians have left the ship. The board shows green and we’re cleared by Command to take off as soon as you give the order Sir.”

“We spend too long dirt side my old friend. Let’s get some vacuum under the keel.”

“Indeed Captain. Three Month in dock and I don’t want to see another upgrade for a long while.”

“Did you have chance to go home to Klackt as you had planned?”

“Yes, I went to celebrate the birthday of our dear queen, but I got enough of Klackt moisture and Klack ceremonial culture to last me a life time, Captain.” The Insect spread its feelers.” And it is right here where I feel at home.”

Captain Zezz padded the Klack on the torso.” I hear you.” Then Zezzh walked me from station to station and introduced me to the other officers present on the bridge. I was surprised by the relaxed, friendly atmosphere on this bridge. Those where high ranking officers I always thought would not give a second thought to a lowly Midshipman. It was a completely different atmosphere than on Captain McKenzie’s bridge or Captain K’Tngnk style of command. McKenzie appeared to be removed from her crew and her style was not so different from the parade ground. The Klack Captain of the Madrid was very efficient and experienced and his Bridge Crew respected him, but here I could feel comradeship, and an atmosphere of more than just respect but deep friendship.

He began on the left. “This is the Communications Console and currently occupied by Lt. Miglar, he is a Takian but don’t let his rocky exterior fool you he is an excellent linguist and intelligence officer.”

Takians came from a very hot planet and had a rocky scaled skin that made them look somewhat like walking pine cones.

“Don’t listen to the Captain, Ensign. I even have problems with standard.”

“But am sure it helps to have three brains to remember all those different linguistics.” I said smiling.

Miglar laughed. “Indeed it does.”

Zezz went on to the next Console.” This is the tactical station. Weapon and shield control. It’s the domain of Lt. Rider and he is from the Sol system and a dirtball called Pluto. He is always here, even when he is supposed to be off duty, except perhaps when he crawls through gun turrets or torpedo tubes. You won’t find a better ship weapon expert anywhere, not even on the flag ship, the Devastator.”

He nodded towards the next station.” We are missing OPS right now. The Gentleman usually heading this department, missed his spacebus and is still stuck 122 light years waiting for a transfer.”

Zezz crossed his arms. “Now let’s get this show on the road. Since we are missing this vital station, I am going to take OPS. Ensign you have the Conn. Take her out.”

“Sir?”

“You are to take the ship out, Ensign.You did it with the Scorpion.”

“Sir you want me to take the ship out from the Con position and sit in the Command Chair?”

“I want you to take the ship out. It makes no difference to me where you are sitting or standing. It is practical to do it from that seat, but can be done while on the John. So go where ever you want. I am at OPS and right here in case you need help. Consider this hand on training.”

I swallowed and climbed into the Command chair. The Lizard Captain must have talked to Stokes.

I sat down into the soft pseudo leather, the chair immediately adjusted to my body. The master command console swung under my right hand and the direct access panel under my left. A bank of smaller screens lowered from the ceiling. As before, sitting here felt right. This time I was not at helm and this time I was not alone on a small ship. This was a full size battle ship, but I knew what I had to do.

“Mr. Miglar contact Port control and ask for the earliest departure window.”

“Aye Sir.”

“Captain, Sir OPS, inform all personnel of our imminent departure. Can I ask you, Sir to give me a crew completion count and a cargo transfer status, please Sir?”

“I am on it, Mr. Olafson.” He turned. “Forget that I am the Captain. Don’t give orders and then ask with a please. Just tell me and the others what to do.”

“Aye, Sir.”

Miglar said:” Sir, Arsenal Control gives us a departure window for 1200.”

I glanced at the chronometer. It was 1105 now.

“OPS here. Crew count complete. Ground crew will complete all cargo activities in 2 minutes.”

My left middle finger moved the direct access slider of the board communication system to Main Engineering. A bearded face appeared on one of the smaller screens above me. “Lt Commander Woodstock here, Engineering.”

“Engine Status, Mr. Woodstock?”

“We are ready to go Sir. All tanks are max and all reactors are on ready for standby.”

“Cut all umbilicals and go to full standby. Make her Space-worthy Mr. Woodstock and button her up.”

“Aye Sir, Full standby in 3 minutes.”

“OPS sound final boarding alert and secure all hatches airlocks and run a level 5 hull integrity test.”

“Aye Sir.”

I glanced at the chronometer and at 1135 I said:” Sound General Quarters.”

The hull integrity board showed green, meaning the ship was hermetically sealed and space worthy.

The regular bridge lights dimmed away, replaced by the eerie red light of the Battle station lighting.

The Klack responded at 1142. All stations report battle stations sir.”

I acknowledged with a nod. “OPS sound external lift off warning. COMM contact Port Control we are at T minus 18.”

“Port Control contacted.”

“Helm activate Grav at neutral zero. Stand by for position adjustment and retract landing gear.”

That command would activate the ships Artificial Gravitation field and hold it hovering. Battle ships were to usually too big for port tractor fields. The Arti-Grav effectively neutralized the ships weight to zero, but not it’s mass and a slight wind could push a zero grav ship to the side. The Hyperion was a 3500 meter battle ship and even few meter moves to either side could make us collide with ground equipment or buildings and cause damage. That is why the helms man had to keep station with reaction thrusters and Arti-Grav Directional fields.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.