Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Midshipman (Vol 4)

Copyright© 2008 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Part 5: INTERLUDE: LONG TRIP (Aboard the Devastator)

The Devi dropped out of Quasi Space and one could almost hear the entire crew sigh in relieve. The huge ship and her crew was back in the Union Galaxy and was heading straight for Arsenal IV, her home port. The situation in the Fornax Cluster was not clear but progress to connect that cluster with a string of space stations was made in breakneck speed. The new 234th Fleet Command had taken permanent residence at Fornax Hub and several battle groups with battle hungry Attikan Crews patrolled and surveyed that cluster, eager to find any signs of Y’All Clones. Long range expeditions were sent out to find traces of the enemy as well, in other words the situation was under control as good as it could be. There was a mountain of intelligence reports to shift through and with a Narth sphere now operating under Union Flag easily able to reach any trouble spot in mere hours was quite reassuring to the Old Admiral.

Captain Harris got up from his chair and stretched.” I am the last one saying it but it will be good to have a little R&R. I truly love this big tub of ours but no Virtu Simulation can really replace open Sky and the warm rays of good ol Sol.”

Richard Stahl gave his old friend a knowing smile.”Indeed old friend. I too look forward to a little off time. I just might do the same and go to Terra. Bavaria is especially scenic this time of year and I might just make it in time to the Oktoberfest.”

“Don’t they have them all over the Galaxy?”

“Not like this, nothing is quite like the original.”

The Captain of the Devastator looked up to the tall Immortal. “So are the rumors true?”

“What rumors?”

“You and the General?”

“I had no idea there were rumors about that.”

“As big as this ship is, it’s a closed community and there are eyes and ears everywhere. You know that.”

“I have no idea what the rumors say but yes something might happen, not that I have any plans but she is a woman and I could be twice as old and not figure them out. Now I suggest you get this ship landed.”

Stahl left the bridge while Harris prepared the Devi for planet fall. It did not happen often and was a major task.

He reached his office and was greeted by McElligott’s Avatar.” Good to have you back old battle ax. The Nul and the rest of our enemies already starting to miss you.”

“Well they have to miss me a little longer then. I am planning for a nice little vacation and tend to take it.”

“I think it will do you good, but we do have a few situations I think you need to know about. Situations I have kept of the regular channels.”

Stahl sighed.”It never really ends does it?”

“I am afraid not, my friend. The situations are well at hand as much as possible but still I wanted your opinion.”

“Just get it off your mind and tell me already.”

“You do remember Admiral Swybar?”

“Yes but I never thought to hear this name again. Was he not executed?”

“Apparently not. His execution had been faked and he was rescued in quite a spectacular way. NAVINT believes it was the Worm acting for the Kermac.”

Stahl grunted a curse in his old native language. “Is our Intel asleep? We are preparing for a possible new Y’All invasionand don’t need any internal security problems. I have a good mind and taking the First fleet straight to Kermac Prime and end it once and for all. If we strike fast, it be over before they know give me the rest of the bad news, somehow I don’t think this is all.”

“No it is not. Swybin used his old contacts and his considerable insider knowledge to obtain a ship load of the finest Union Mil Tech along with a Ship that is second to none. He is in possession of the Red Dragon Prototype loaded to the max with weapons, including a Translocator canon. Thankfully a heroic Oromal technician, destroyed the weapon. He paid with his life doing it, but we are sure he has full control of the rest.”

There was no sense crying over spilled milk, but Stahl was still angry. “And what is done about it?”

“We aree currently overhauling the security on our Bone Yard planets and revising the material acquisition procedure, Cherubim went under cover to hunt for the rouge Admiral and to find out who or what is behind. Initial reports have him with two unidentified accomplices, we think at least one is Kermac.”

“There is little I can do. The Devi is a battle ship, I am a Soldier. Despite all this I am no spy, no counter intelligence expert. This is nothing I can solve with Exo canons and Space marines, unless the Assembly finally sees the light and declares war on the Kermac.”

“It is not all as bad as it seems. I think considering it all our system as big as it is had reacted quite fast to the situation and it has shown us weak points in our armor. The Union is simply to big for us to keep it all water tight. Nelson II will be online in a year and Narth Supreme promised us 200 Narth to boost the numbers of our PSI Corps. With these assets we can start sweeping and exterminate the worm.”

Stahl had calmed down and actually began to pack a little suit case. Not that he needed to, but he was old fashioned in many ways and unlike other Admirals he didn’t even have a personal assistant or a big staff of Adjutants. “Anything else?”

“It never made the big news, and I think you know much more about it than I do, but the Coven have joined the Union.”

Stahl did stop packing and turned to face his ancient friend. “From what I know about them this is perhaps as significant as the Narth’s decision to become more active.”

“Well the Narth and the Saresii delegates immediately embraced the new Coven representative and that indicates that much to me, what are they Richard? And why did you send that Cadet there?” “I actually don’t know much more about them than you do, but I know they are not home in our Universe. They are very old, control powers I don’t understand and have deep wisdom and knowledge about the greater scheme of things. I know the Narth respect them and that should tell you something. I do know one of them very personal and I trust her blind. It was her who rescued me during my exile and it was them who helped me to find and access this ship.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.