Eric Olafson, Fleet Cadet (Vol 3) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Fleet Cadet (Vol 3)

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 32: Interlude: After the Execution

He remembered the last moments of his life quite vividly. They had led him up to the scaffold, after they had removed all his rank insignia. Commander Stone before him actually collapsed and the marines had to drag him to his spot on the scaffold. It took all his will power not to do the same and set one foot before the other. The solemn beat of the drums stopped and the Executioner asked him if he had any last words. He had none, the night before he had written a letter to his son Swybin and urged him to forget his father and to undergo psycho adjustment treatment so he could try to apply again. Seven generations of Swybar had served the Union Fleet with distinction.

He had stayed awake the last two nights thinking about his life. It was too late to change things now of course. He shame he brought onto his family was more painful to him than thinking about the execution. Had he been able too, he would have saved the Executioner the work and committed suicide. He should have paid more attention to his son’s development instead of being blind to his faults. He had pressed his son to become an Officer without ever asking if he wanted to, or if he was indeed fit to be an officer. Wilson helped him to bend a few rules to get his son past the evaluation procedures. Just to find out he was caught by the Worm. Wilson revealed that he was working for the Worm and in return needed a few favors. It was a slippery road and he was sliding a little bit faster every day and it had led him right under the memory metal noose of the gallows.

They pulled a hood over his face, it was completely dark, he felt his own hot breath reflected by the fabric and only now he began to think about the afterlife. He had never believed in anything like that and believed that dying was the end and that there was nothing after it.

As they placed the noose tightly around his neck he started to panic. There had to be something he could do to postpone the looming end. He heard the voice of the Executioner whisper in his ear. “It will hurt a little, because it has to look real.”

Then the he heard the sharp hiss of the Hydraulics yanking the cross bar into the air and him off his feet. There was stinging sensation and that was the last thing he remembered.

He suddenly realized he was remembering things in the past. He had been hanged and he was remembering things. Now he felt that he was lying on his back in a constricting box and that he was breathing. He could feel his body; hear his heart beat and terrible dryness in his mouth. He was alive and he was in a coffin. Had they failed to kill him and now he was doomed to suffocate?

What did they do with the body of the executed anyway?

Something was over his mouth and nose and he could breathe easily. A line of light penetrated the perfect darkness and then the lid was removed and he had to close his eyes with blinding pain. A voice said.” To the world you are dead, but nevertheless welcome to the world of the living.”

As his eyes got used to the light, he noticed three dark robed men standing around the Coffin. All three appeared human, the middle one was taller and he was bald and had large purple eyes, slightly pointed ears and had a strange male face with distinctive female features. “I am Theobar the First Son of Darkness, Supreme High priest of the Church of Darkness. I can see you try to place my origin. I am Saresii and as you can see I am the only one embracing my true gender.”

Swybar coughed and sat up, a breathing mask was strapped on his face and he removed it, noticing that he was no longer shackled. He took off the respirator and touched his neck.” Where am I?”

“That is not important right now.”

One of the other men offered him a cup with water and it tasted like pure bliss. The male Saresii said.” It took much effort and much money to get you, but getting an Admiral with all the knowledge was an opportunity my associates did not want wasted.”

“The Worm?”

“The Worm has rescued you, yes, but we paid them to get you. Don’t worry we will take good care of you and you will find the rewards of your new career quite satisfactory, all we want is pretty much everything you know. Access codes, Fleet and Union Secrets, that sort of thing. You are not even a traitor, to them you are dead.”

Swybar got up. “I don’t care who or what I have to betray or to do. I owe you my life and I give you whatever you want. I have only one goal left in life.”

“Oh do tell me what sort of goal does a man have rising from the grave?”

“I am going to kill Eric Olafson. Without him I wouldn’t be in this situation.”

“Splendid coincidences then, we have similar goals.”

--””--

MAKING CALLS

The thrill of piloting my own ship was still there but not as intense anymore. There was really nothing to do. The course was across Union Space and the only contacts that occasionally appeared on the long range scanners were Civilian ships. I listened to GalCom chatter on both the civilian and fleet channels, but there was nothing else but some chatter between freighter pilots, space bus operators and the like. The biggest thing discussed was some event with aliens that looked like Y’All in a far distant Satellite Cluster.

After the third day I actually left the bridge and slept in the small Command officer cabin. I had a long chat with Elena, called Limbur and Wintsun and left a message for Olia and Galmy.

I learned that Limbur and Wintsun were already back on Arsenal II and I was technically late. Olia was on her way to the Brownstone Branch of the Academy in the Belarom System. She decided to specialize in Communications and on Brownstone was the Communication school of the Fleet. Limbur knew that Galmy was going to specialize as a Ship Computronic Specialist and went to the appropriate specialty school.

Wintsun surprised me with his choice of becoming a Logistics officer. While it was perhaps the most important part of fleet operations, I still wondered why Wintsun has chosen this path, but then maybe he had a talent for it and they suggested it.

After I had talked to Limbur for a while I called Narth Prime, as I had no specific GalNet Code for Narth. I was surprised to get a Human Communications Officer instead of a Narth, and he identified himself as a Simulation.” Thank you for calling Narth Prime, currently there are no civilian GalNet Terminals on Narth prime. If you are interested in Narth and the recent development please follow the links displayed below. If you have questions or suggestions or direct communication requests, please record your message at any time and it will be forwarded. Please note that Narth is still in a phase of adjustment and a response might not be imminent.”

I transmitted my ID Code and said.”I am Midshipman Eric Olafson; I have a personal friend on Narth Prime. Please relay this message that am thinking of him and hope he is alright.”

The Screen changed and Narth appeared.” It is the one that shared the Hughavh with Narth. Narth is sorry for not providing you with a direct call code. I am Narth Supreme, Eric and your friend is almost complete now. He will return to the Academy to complete his second year at the PSI Academy and hopes he will be able to rejoin you in the third year.”

I automatically bowed before the transmission and said.” It is a great honor to meet and talk to you, Sir.”

The hooded being had an amused tone in his voice.” You have a long way to go Eric, but you are Narth and wherever your path will lead you, you can end it here whenever you want. The one Narth that is your friend has received his new corporal body and his Hughavh is currently bonding with it, Narth has shared a new emotion with all Narth. He is missing your companionship and through him we all know what this means now. For showing Narth true treasures we have long lost or never known you have our gratitude.”

“Can you tell him miss him too?”

“Don’t you know that he is missing you? Can you not feel it? Narth your friend knows all you feel and think. Perhaps you need more time to develop your Hughavh but all you do is to consciously think and Narth will know whatever you want him to know.”

“I will try.”

“Then farewell Eric who is Narth. We will need to meet and I need to explain you many things, but the time is not now.”

“I look forward meeting you, Sir.”

--””--

SWYBAR

Swybar was led into a darkened room. A single spotlight shone on a raised seat and a single white skinned being was sitting on that raised chair. It had a black thing attached to his chin, was bald and had snow white skin, a Kermac. He believed to know now who was behind the Worm and the Church of Darkness and now he know just how deep his betrayal would go. He would not only betray the Fleet but the Union and even his home world, but then he was dead to them. They killed him without mercy so he would have none.

“It is so nice to finally meet project 12, I mean former Admiral Swybar.” The Kermac said.

“I do not know what you mean by Project 12, but I think you could be the one responsible for my rescue.”

“Oh yes I am. I am also the one responsible for you being executed in the first place, but how that happened has to wait. Do have a seat Admiral. I have a pressing matter I hope you can help me with.”

A chair appeared and Swybar sat down and said.”As I told your associate, I have nothing to lose quite literally and I will full cooperate without reservations.”

“You will find the Kermac can be generous, now tell me what you know about Koken?”

“It was discovered recently and it is believed to be the ... to be your original home world.”

“Yes, but do go on. How it discovered and what was is done about it?

“Because the Siucra attacked an Explorer in the region,”

“The Siucra were our first thrall species but that was over a million years ago. They still exist?”

“I am not up to date on the latest developments, but I am not sure if any Siucra have survived the final attack. They worshipped the Kermac as gods and considered it their holy task to keep the space around Koken sterilized of all sentient life that had the potential of defiling their holy place which was Koken.”

The Kermac made Swybar tell the entire events and then the Wizard said.” Amazing we did not even know they still existed. Yet there was a Thrall species worthy of our attention. Koken is far from Union space, does the Union have any plans for it?”

“I don’t know what the actual plans are, but I know it is considered Union Space now. The Tinkehel have become members.”

“Who are the Tinkehel?”

“A Sentient species that was almost wiped out by the Siucra and their home world is only 12 Light years from Koken. I seen highly classified reports of UNI technology caches both on Koken and especially on Koken Moon. I know Admiral Strother of Coreward Fleet Command requested four Gigamon Space stations into that area.”

“We must go to Koken and retrieve a few things. How would you suggest we do that?”

“That could prove difficult. I am dead and no longer able to travel freely in Union Space.”

“Ah but because you are dead you can. I was told from reliable sources, they have not yet deleted your command codes and the Citizen implant does not record the date of death.”

The former admiral rubbed his chin.”In that case there are several things we could do.”

They showed him to a GalNet terminal and he dialed in and could access his personal files without any problems. A plan formed in his mind, how he could accomplish what the Kermac wanted and to get his revenge.

--””--

PAULI STATION

I was less than a day away from my destination, as the Comm. Unit activated receiving a message from Fleet Central. I verified my identity and the main screen showed the Commander I knew to be Admiral McElligott’s new aid.” Good afternoon Midshipman Olafson, your Computronic verified that you have reached the coordinates necessary to brief you on your mission.”

“Aye Sir.”

“Switch to Secure Scramble 6”

I turned the Channel to the highest security settings.

“Proceed to Pauli Station and find Commodore Morgan. She is of NAVINT and she will brief you and instruct you in Clearance procedures and she will have the final instructions for your mission.”

All this did not sound like a simple delivery mission to me, but I verified and repeated my orders. The Commander gave me a sad grin.” I know you wonder what this is all about, and I couldn’t tell you if I knew, but you better get used to it. You are the only Midshipman I know of who is on the scanner screen of the Old Man. It is very hard to get his attention, but once you got it it’s even harder to sink back into obscurity. With that I mean once the Immortals have noticed you, your Career and life will never be the same again, I know. It happened to me.”

“I guess you have a point there, Sir.” I sighed and acknowledged.

Pauli Station was a Gigamon Class Space Station, of the same class as Arsenal Gate. While I knew the purpose of Arsenal Gate, I wondered why they had put such a large station more or less in the middle of nowhere. As far as I knew there was no important Navy installation or important System nearby. The closest occupied star system was Novak’s Sun and it only had one occupied planet called Novak One and according to GalNet its main export was Oranges and nuts, agricultural products and nothing spectacular or secret.

True Narth Prime was only 45 Light years away, but Narth Prime had its own network of space stations and a Gigamon Station called Narth Gate.

I could not find any particular reason for Pauli Station on GalNet either.

Even for the nearly inexhaustible resources of the Union and the Fleet, there had to be a reason for making such an investment. Gigamon Stations were the largest Standard Class Deep Space Stations, heavily armed and defended with enormous crews and material needs.

Traffic according to my scanners was light. I only noticed a big freighter and a Space bus in scanner range and then hailed the station. An Attikan with spotted fur and Lieutenant rank appeared on the screen. “Good evening Midshipman Olafson, I have received your flight plan orders and transponder codes, all is in good order. Please approach from Galactic North and release Landing controls once you are in the Green Zone. Traffic Control will take over from there. Welcome to Pauli Station.”

“Thank you Sir.”

“Say, Midshipman your name sounds familiar. Do you know Fectiv and Pure?”

I smiled.” Yes those are friends of mine I met at the academy.”

“I am Fectiv’s older brother, Factnav. He has told me a lot about you. If your orders leave you any spare time, give me a buzz after I am off duty and we have a drink together.”

“I sure would like that. I will let you know as soon as I received my orders.”

He disconnected and I smiled to myself. This was a pleasant surprise and I hoped I had a few moments to catch up with him and maybe get the GalNet Codes for Fectiv and Pure’s PDD’s.

As Pauli Station came into visual range, I noticed the huge station was partially attached to an asteroid or dark moon. Objects like this were called wanderers. Planets, Moons or large asteroids that have been expelled from their original solar system and floated through interstellar space, were hard to find but not uncommon. I wondered if that rock was the reason for the Pauli station.

I reached the green traffic control zone and landed remote assisted in one of the enormous docking bays. A mechanical arm took the entire Sturgeon and placed it in a parking rack on the side.

I secured the ship according to standard protocols, after I had put on dress uniform and checked my appearance one more time.

Pauli Station Port was just like any other Space port. This one was lively but not very busy. The Usual businesses and restaurants gave a sense of belonging. As long as there was an Arthurs one could be sure to be in Union space and no matter how far from home, some things were the same everywhere.

The Instructions I had received were specific and included an address. At an Info Bot station I learned that much of the asteroid was hollowed out and added to the station and the whole complex was enormous, but the Info-Bot transferred its instructions to my PDD and using the IST System I reached Level 175 Section 45, Corridor 14 in no time.

As I exited the IST I stepped into a lobby area inside that Corridor. A man in black coverall and no visible rank insignia sat behind a dark wood counter. The front of the Counter was decorated with a blue glowing stylized eye and the letters NAVINT. Which stood for Navy Intelligence, judging by his blond curled hair and the stern nose I figured him to be a Pan Saran, but he did not wear the polished brass chest armor they usually did. He looked up form whatever he was doing.” You must be Midshipman Olafson.”

“Yes Sir I am.”

“The boss is waiting for you. Please go down this corridor all the way to the end, there is a double door. Go right on in and welcome to the family.”

“Sir, what family?”

“NAVINT of course, this is Pauli Station and this is the NAVINT academy. Midshipman arriving here for his second year, I just wanted to be the first to welcome you.”

I nodded a little surprised and then went down the corridor as instructed. Now I knew what the purpose of Pauli Station was, but I didn’t really want a career in NAVINT. Was I not supposed to be able to make my own choice? On the other hand I had not yet made up my mind what career path to take. Maybe I had waited too long and the choice was made for me.

Nothing ever appeared to be simple. With a sigh I approached the door and it opened right away.

It was a sparse decorated office with a desk, before it a visitors chair and behind it an older woman with dark short cropped hair.

I snapped in attention and saluted her. “Midshipman Olafson reporting as ordered, Ma’am”

She had the same warmth in her eyes as a Rock shark as she eyed me up and down and then she smiled.” Welcome Midshipman Olafson. I am Commodore Morgan and I welcome you to Pauli Station.”

She waved and motioned me to sit down. “We are a little different than the regular Navy; we don’t flaunt ranks, or do much of the saluting and all that.”

I sat down and said.” Thank you Ma’am, am I correct to assume that I am to serve my second year here at NAVINT?”

“Well that would be your choice later on. If that is what you want. For now you are here to receive your new Security Clearance. It is very rare that anyone gets a Clearance that high and I never heard of a Midshipman getting it, but I am instructed by Fleet Command to instruct you for all procedures of the Blue-Blue Red Level.”

I was tested and memory conditioned for the next three days and received detailed instructions. No one knew why or if they knew no one told me. A Saresii Technician wanted to implant a Psi Shield, he explained that every Command Officer and every Navint Agent got one of these, but as he tested me he said.” I don’t think you need one. I never met anyone as perfectly shielded as you. I am a Level 20 telepath and I couldn’t even tell you are here.”

Just then the Commodore walked in and said to the Saresii Technician.” I hope you haven’t started, we have explicit orders not to implant him.”

I was still on the examination couch underneath a metal sensor ball while they talked. The Technician said.” No I haven’t started yet. It looks like he already has one and yet I can’t even localize the Implant.”

“He has Narth connections.”

To me she said.” Your Narth friends shielded you better than anyone could. Have you received your new code key yet?”

“Yes Ma’am it was implanted this morning.”

“You know how to get the day code?”

“Yes, Ma’am, I am to log on in the morning to the Security Network. Identify myself according to protocol and then listen to the day code.”

“Very good, now give the day code for today. This is an order.”

“I cannot give you the day code unless you have identified yourself according to Blue –Blue protocol to an independent official Computronic system.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.