Eric Olafson, Fleet Cadet (Vol 3)
Chapter 31: Interlude: Aboard the Devastator

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Richard stood by the view port in his office aboard the Devastator. The Ship was still on its way back to the LMC. The Narth were certain that the next Y’All invasion would come from this direction. He had seen the Narth Sphere during the last Y’All invasion and now that the Narth Supreme had personally told him that the Narth would be on the Union Side and hinted he would share some Narth technology with the Union he was far less concerned as he was before.

He smiled at his own reflection, how did the Narth Supreme put it? “It is conceivable that Narth will allow some minor adjustments to the Union technology.” Whenever he talked to the Narth Supreme he felt pretty small and primitive, even aboard the Devi. It was like a Caveman proudly showing off a Flintstone hand axe to someone who used directed energy weapons.

He turned and looked at beautiful Alycia she had fallen asleep on the visitors couch after briefing him of the latest development. She was not human, not even Saresii. He had only glimpses of her true power and form and yet she too could get tired. She had interrogated the prisoners for the last twenty days and that in addition to all the work she had to do as the lead officer of the PSI Corps.

He went over carefully lifted her legs onto the sofa and covered her with a blanket.

As he was stepping away she blinked and smiled at him.” There is a soft and caring heart under all that steel armor of yours, after all.”

“Just don’t tell it around. I worked hard on that reputation.”

She sat up but kept the blanket wrapped around her.” No worries, Warrior, come join me. It is quite nice right here.”

Just as he decided that this might be a good idea, his personal Terminal played the first notes of the Old Marine Hymn. Since it was piped directly to his terminal it could only be the other Old Admiral. He sighed and Alycia nodded.” He has impeccable timing. In moments like this I wish I could turn him into a toad after all.”

Stahl grunted.” The real scary part is that I think you actually could.” He then told the terminal to establish the call. Elligott’s avatar appeared and he was in the process of stepping out of a Destroyer suit. Stahl’s left eyebrow shot up and said.” Lieber Gott, what happened that made you suit up?”

Elligott grinned like the Cheshire cat.” Once in a thousand years I was able to have a little Adventure and its conclusion could easily steal your thunder just once, and I can’t really publicize it.”

Stahl walked over to the sofa and sat next to Alycia.” I have no idea what your obsession is with this stealing thunder theory of yours. I am not doing this for glory or fame.”

“I know, everyone knows that and you know I am not really out for fame and glory myself, but every school kid knows about the Warrior and even our enemies shake in their boots when they hear your name, given that there are some that wear boots. Ah well I am old enough to have my own little idiosyncrasies.” He struggled getting his left leg out of the Armor.

“You certainly won’t steal my thunder when it comes to get in and out of a battle suit. In the time it takes you to get out of it, I take a shower have a beer and watch the first half of a football game.”

Alycia giggled.” I think you almost made him a little angry and now he is really stuck, but I bet he is the only one wearing a Kilt while inside a Quasimodo.”

McElligott cursed like a medieval highlander but finally managed to get his foot out and his smile returned.” We just solved the Wichita Bone mystery uncovered an old Pree chamber full of alien weaponry. We discovered a new species of Terrans and solved the Human Mystery, pretty much.”

That did have the expected result and both Alycia and especially Stahl sat straight up. Richard said.” Are we sure it’s Pree? We know even less about them than about the Uni.”

Elligott nodded.” I activated the Pree Sphere myself.”

“I am sure you did not call to end your story here. Would you please elaborate?”

Mc Elligott retold the events and when he was finished poured himself a glass of whiskey sat down and lit a pipe. The blue smoke wafted only a few inches and then disappeared as it left the Avatar projection radius.

Neither Stahl no Alycia had interrupted him while he was talking but now Richard said.” I wonder if the Uni were the ones that left the Guardian behind on Earth then.”

Mc Elligott answered.” It certainly is a possibility, but somehow I don’t think so. I am sure the Uni have an important role in that and perhaps they did seed human life. We found that the Hanglers, a species of semi intelligent primates also found on Planet New Place came from Saran and were taken by the Uni, but then there is an amphibian Snake species there that has the same DNA structure as life from Ulta. The Ult are not Humanoid or Human.”

Stahl said,” but their DNA is not so different from us and who knows how Humans would have developed on a Water world like Ulta.”

Alycia spoke.” I don’t think the Human Mystery has been solved at all, the mystery has deepened.”

As it was his habit. Stahl used an old fashioned pencil he always carried in his left chest pocket and jotted down a few personal notes on a little paper note pad. Of course he had a PDD and could dictate any notes to it or using the ships computronic, but like Mc Elligott he liked old fashioned paper.” That Midshipman is going to serve his third year aboard the Devi for sure.”

“God help us.” Elligott groaned.” You and him on the same ship, I am not sure the galaxy is ready for that. If I wouldn’t know better, I’d say he is related to you, perhaps a distant nephew.”

Stahl didn’t get into that and gave Mc Elligott a short report on the events and the situation in the Fornax Cluster.

Mc Elligott finished his drink bade his fare well and disconnected.

Alycia took the hand of Stahl.”You trust me don’t you?”

“If a woman, especially you ask that question I should be inclined to say no.” He smiled at her.”Of course I do.”

“You are the only living being outside the Coven that knows who I really am and it is very important that this Midshipman goes to the Coven. The Circle wants to talk to him; this conversation will determine if we join the Union.”

“I would lie if I understand what you are, Alycia. When I first met you, you were the closer to a demon than anything else.” He held up his hand.”You know how I feel about you and I know you are some sort of a female entity from another plane of existence. Heck you are as mysterious as the Narth, perhaps even more so, but you have saved my life countless times and you are the only one I ever considered to marry, bit could you explain to me what you want with that Midshipman?”

Her big purple eyes shimmered as if she was close to tears.” I love you Richard more than life and more than the Coven and I will tell you know secrets that we have shared with no one.

He said nothing but paid attention to every word she said and so she begun.” You know there are many other realities, dimensions if you will. You humans use Quasi Space to escape the physical boundaries of your own reality so you can travel faster than light and use that marvelous communication technology that allows you to exchange conversations over incredible distances. All the members of the Circle are survivors of a terrible war that raged in our universe for a very long time. That war was fought with means you would call magic, but it is just another way of channeling higher energies. Just as a psionic talent uses its brains ability to tab into trans dimensional energies to do these incredible feats. The Saresii for example are physically not stronger than Humans but there are some that can move many tons of weight with their telekinetic abilities. They are not doing this with their own energies, their minds are able to act as a conduit and just as there are humans that are physically stronger than others, there are Psionic talents with greater control than others.”

He nodded.” I think I understand the principle behind Psionics. Even before the ascent some physicists on Earth theorized that some of the functions of the human brain could not be explained with normal chemical electrical triggers but that there had to be something that acted faster than the speed of light. Something we thought was an absolute and could not be exceeded. They called it exotic matter and now we know that these particles like Tachyons were used by the brain of sentient beings. This faster than light radiation of a human mind is what a telepath can hear and use to read another beings mind.”

She nodded.”Exactly, it is not magic or unexplainable. Once you have the right tools and knowledge you can explain it and even base technology on it, just like our Para Dim Shields, PSI tech and Life sign scanners.”

He said.”Or Neuro Rippers and Paralysators.”

She sighed. “Of course you are Terran. The first thing you guys did when you discovered this technology was making weapons.”

He looked a little guilty. “I guess we tend to see weapon potential in some things.”

She waved her hand.” Anyway I am getting away from my story. In that universe of ours we called it magic and we channeled similar energies to fight each other. Our war reached a climax and it became clear to us that no one would survive and so the Coven, a circle of female wizards or if you prefer the term witches searched for a way to escape the imminent doom. We found a way to cross the normally impenetrable veil that separates these Universes and we came here to this your Universe about 5 Million years ago. It took us a very long time to get adjusted to this universe, to be able to think and manifest ourselves completely.

At first we had no agenda here. We simply wanted to stay hidden adjust to this Universe and perhaps find a way to take the next step in our evolution, but by coming here we had to make many sacrifices and we lost much of our knowledge and developmental gains. All this is very hard to explain and even more difficult to understand, even for me.”

“What should I say? You basically lost me ten minutes ago but do go on.”

She sighed.” We observed many civilizations here, we saw the Celtest rise to prominence and when the Dark Ones came, we thought they could be the enemy of our Universe and that some also found a way to escape the final battle and we went into hiding much like the Narth.”

“Everyone in our Universe knows about the legends of the Dark Ones but nothing of them has ever been found, no artifacts, no records no ruins and none of the old species that were around back then can describe them. Some went in hiding like you and the Narth and those who choose to side with the Celtest were severely punished or completely wiped out. But they had to come from somewhere and if your kind made it across these Universal barriers why not others?”

“We lost the knowledge how to cross these barriers and it might take us millennia before we gain it again.”

“So what has all this to do with a Neo Viking from Nilfeheim?”

“It is not entirely true that there are no artifacts of the Dark Ones. We know the Narth guard such an artifact on Narth Prime and the Coven guards another. There is an old legend, a prophecy if you will that tells of a human that comes from a cold world. That human will have to face the returning Dark Ones. We know not when this happens or if it will happen at all in this universe and this time, but Eric meets three of the criteria. He does come from a cold world, he is the only Human that could ever set foot on Narth Prime and maybe see or touch that artifact. He has shared the Hughavh with a Narth and if we understand the Narth Supreme correctly this will turn Eric eventually into a Narth. Also he has this female duality in his being that would allow him to set foot on Coven and learn our secrets and see the other piece. We think that there is a slim chance that he might be the one that must face the Dark Ones. The legend says also, that this Human would have the means to defeat them forever. This prophecy is anything but clear and it is very vague. Eric might not be the one. It could be that he will father that human. Maybe he is just a necessary piece in the puzzle so that Defender can be born. That prophecy was made in a Universe before this one.”

Stahl had a dry mouth.” We do not know what the Dark Ones are, but we know they had been here at least once before. I never told that to anyone but I think the Guardian who made me and the others immortals had picked us to form this Union to take the place of the Celtest the next time the Dark Ones come and this is the real goal of our task, to make this Union strong enough so we do not share the fate of the Celtest. Only a blind man would not see that this Neo Viking has some sort of destiny.”

She took his hand.” The future is not set in stone and our actions and decisions shape the way it will turn out, but I too believe the Dark Ones will return. The Celtest were not the first who had to face the Dark Ones. The Uni had to face them before, but unlike the Celtest they did not stand and fight but fled and left this galaxy. The Pree who were as advanced as the Uni and had a very deep sense of justice and love for life disappeared as well, and no one knows if they perished fighting or if they too decided to flee. We think the Uni were human and they seeded the planets with their own DNA in the hope to be reborn that way if they failed to run from the Dark Ones.”

“I trust and believe you, and I hope we still have a few thousand years before the Dark Ones return but if there is a chance that this midshipman plays a role in this then we must not stay in the way. How do we get him to Coven? Not even I know where it is and I think I you brought me there after I had to fight the Malag and was near death.”

“We had planned to have the Midshipman pick up a small space ship that will malfunction and send him to Coven, but I did not want to abduct a Union citizen and Union Officer, I wanted you to know about it and maybe simply order him there.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.