Eric Olafson, Fleet Cadet (Vol 3) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Fleet Cadet (Vol 3)

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 27: Fornax Events Interlude

“Have we been hailed?”

Harris shook his head.”No not yet, but the sphere is transmitting genuine Union Transponder Codes.”

The screen changed and a hooded Narth became visible. The Comm. Officer looked at his console and shrugged.

The Narth spoke.

“This is the USS Narth. “There was a pause and the Narth moved his shrouded head as if he was looking at someone then he nodded and said.” One hopes to be forgiven, by the one who has command. One was uncertain of the correct address. It is the first time a Narth Sphere carries a name and is designated what you call a ship. One finds the designation ship quite confusing as it implies an artificial conveyance to be utilized upon a substance called liquid water.”

Another voice sounding exactly alike interrupted the Narth.” One disagrees with Narth, for ship could also imply a conveyance of goods and then there is the term space that can be used to further clarify what is meant and space ship is quite accurate.”

The speaker returned to the hail.” One again asks for apologies, Narth has limited experience in interaction and the Narth that is going to be a real Navy Officer has not completed his education.”

Stahl could not help but smile.” Never mind the formalities. The very fact to be hailed by a Narth sphere is of historic significance and it is us who are limited to communicate properly with Narth. Why don’t you come over and we can discuss and talk and I update you on the events here.”

“He who is in command has been on Narth Prime. He is not as limited as one would expect from...”

The graphite gray Narth sphere changed colors and turned to the same light gray of all Union ships and the Union Flag appeared next to the displayed ship name: USS Narth. While Stahl and his bridge crew stared in awe, two Narth suddenly stood on the bridge right before Stahl. One of them, Stahl could not say which said.” Your suggestion is accepted.”

Stahl bowed.” I hope you forgive my appearance. I had no time clean up, with great joy and truly felt honor I welcome you aboard.”

“An appearance can be forgiven? It would have to be offensive.”

“One needs to use his eyes; one has been given visual sensors. It is fascinating.” the other replied.

One of them sighed very humanly and said.” Admiral Stahl, as you see one is not used to interact with Non Narth. Until now only two of Narth have had prolonged exposure and while they both share all their experiences with Narth there is still much Narth must know and understand. However we have been dispatched by Narth Supreme as Union Citizens and thus want to open a new area of cooperation and Narth integration into this Union of Civilizations.”

Stahl had his chin on his chest what the Narth told him was truly historical.” I am humbled by this revelation and I know you can sense my true feelings and thoughts about this it will better convey the joy I feel than words.”

“Narth knows and understands friendship now and we are able to interpret your feelings much better and are equally humbled by them. One is here to assist in your stand against the Y’All or any other enemy.”

“I am not sure we are dealing with the same Y’All as we did before. They act different and there are physical differences. There are also Kermac that do not conform to our previous knowledge.”

“One agrees this is not consistent with previous encounters. One believes these Kermac are not associated with the ones of our Galaxy but have been made from DNA that had been taken 1500 years ago, during a time the Kermac had not achieved the whiteness of dermal tone they so desire.”

--””--

JUSTICE DONE

I was a bit disappointed that she had not come up with me, her dress and those fleshy globes under that thin velvet had excited me in a very ... male way, maybe there was hope for me after all. If I felt that way about women maybe all I had to do is get out a little more often.

The next day I had asked the Lobby manager of the Hotel about the attractions of this world and he pointed me towards a sparsely populated wall rack with brochures and said. “We do have a theater in town and a sports arena. There are a few Virtu show houses and a decent shopping mall. The locals go off-roading in wheeled vehicles and there are the water caverns under the city you can do a guided boat tour on, but if you really want fun and entertainment you can take the Inter-system shuttle to the second planet named Powell and they have casinos, clubs, amusement parks and a whole line up of sports and recreation attractions.”

I decided to stay, did an Off-road driving trip and learned to steer a four wheel drive vehicle, did the Water Cave tour and almost fell asleep doing it. I doubted even the tour guide believed the water filled caves very spectacular. There was nothing native alive on this planet, not above and not below. According to the local who had rented me the vehicle there were some abandoned ruins, but nothing mysterious, a collection of buildings belonging to an early colony that simply had given up and left a ghost town behind. Sleeping in and doing all this I managed to pass the day without getting to bored and most of all not in any kind of trouble.

Early the next morning I was summoned to the JAG building and when I reported in, a Lieutenant sat behind the desk and I saw the Ensign sitting in the chair where I had spent most of the day before. He glared at me but then resumed his study of the magazines.

Commander Gwen Hollow, this time in full dress uniform, instead of pants she wore a black skirt and heeled pump, greeted me with a smile and said.” The Admiral of the Fleet is here and we will proceed with the case as soon as possible. You cannot see the procedures until you have been called as witness and made your statement. After that you can remain in the court room and follow the rest of the hearing.”

She escorted me to an office and said as we entered in a quite tone. “Your friend Ensign Fainters was ordered to guard the rubber tree for a week.”

“An entire week?” I almost forgot she was now in uniform and a Commander and I added “Ma’am”

She didn’t react but her smile produced sexy little dimples in her cheeks and then she said.” You can wait right here until you get called.”

I waited for almost three hours before they did call me in. The court room was modern and sleek but still a court room, a panel of three High ranking officers, all Admirals sat behind a raised bench. Commander Hollow on the right side before them and Admiral Swybar and a Commander on a table on the left side. Commander Stone was there as well but he wore a bright yellow jumpsuit and cuffs and a marine stood behind him. He glared at me with open hatred. I resisted the impulse to show him my tongue; this would not have been seen as very mature.

The Admiral of the Fleet sat with a whole bunch of high ranking officers in the audience area.

I was called into the witness stand by commander Hollow. The Admiral in the middle instructed me to answer all questions truthfully and I was informed that a polygraph scanner was monitoring me.

I placed my hand as instructed onto the scanner plate and a computronic voice said.” Cadet Olafson Academy Rank Midshipman Captain, Eric. Service Number 10074999-EO-5643845633. Recipient of the Silver Star, the Bronze Star, the Iron Star, recipient of the Yaktnh, the highest military honor of the Yokuta, recipient of the Olive branch sixth class, honored with the Civilian Service Award by the Union Justice Department, Honor citizen of twilight, Honored as Special executive of Enroe Corp by Alex Enroe for bravery and High representative of a member species, the Narth.”

I felt humbled and embarrassed at the same time as the voice would list all that. Everyone including the panel of Admirals looked at me and I saw the Admiral of the Fleet, McElligott sitting in the first row leaning back with crossed arms, his naked gnarled looking knees protruding from under his red and green patterned skirt. There was a faint smile on his face and he almost unnoticeable nodded towards me and I could not help but feel as proud as a Tyranno Slayer, his little nod meant more to me than the medals and awards. He had kept word and I saw justice done.

Then I was asked by Commander Hollow to tell my side of the events. The presiding Admiral in the middle asked me several questions and I tried to be as vague as possible about the part when I found Narth dying. I recalled how I was arrested and what happened to me in lock up. A visual was shown of the actual hearing and also of my whipping. Seeing it from a spectators point of view made still made me feel every lash of the whip, but I felt a grim satisfaction of the fact that I had not screamed.

A Lieutenant who acted as court clerk stood and said.” Poly scan complete, system confirms that the statement made by witness Olafson was 98 percent accurate, allowing for system calibration it can be verified the statement was accurate.”

The Commander defending Admiral Swybar got up and smiled at me and it was the coldest smile I had ever noticed. He was human but had dark brown skin and black hair. With the friendliest tone he said. “Midshipman Olafson, it seems everyone wants to paint you as a genuine hero and looking in your file and the hearing all the awards and decorations you somehow managed to accumulate in such a short time seem to verify this picture.”

He gestured towards the Poly Scanner.” Who ever heard of a Poly Scanner result of 98 %? That is impossible.”

“Objection,” Hollow interrupted.” Commander Hammashannu is not an expert on Poly Scanners. The result was verified by the court appointed Poly Scanner Technician.”

The Admiral in the middle said.”Sustained, Commander Hammashannu you will abstain from making unsustainable subjective statements.”

The Defense Counselor kept smiling.” So we are here made to believe that a First Year Cadet managed to amass all these honors? His ribbon read out is more impressive than that of most senior officers. It...”

“Objection.” Hollow interrupted again.” The Commander questions the citations and honors received by the witness and besmirch both the meaning and reason these symbols are given.”

“Sustained. Commander do you have any evidence or proof that the witness received any of the citations listed in a questionable manner? I am just reading the text to the citations and they look genuine to me. The Admiral of the Fleet himself recommended three of these citations is present and can be called as a witness.”

The brown skinned Commander lost some of his swagger as he saw the stare he got from the Immortal Admiral and said.” Is it not true that you are not really the hero you pretend to be? Is it not a fact that you are a sick individual who pretends to be a female and likes to dress up as a little girl?”

“Objection.”

But the Commander kept going speaking even louder.” Is it not perfectly understandable that Commander Stone and Admiral Swybar wanted to remove such an abomination from the fleet? The so high decorated Cadet prances around in skirts and dresses and who knows what else he is hiding from us.”

I barely heard the angry calls of objection from Hollow. I felt as if I had been stripped naked in front of all these officers and I knew my career was over. I never felt more ashamed in my life, and I rather had received another flogging than feeling the pain and shame I felt right now.

My stomach knotted so tight I could taste the bitter bile on my tongue, unable to swallow.

I concentrated hard to retain my composure and not cry. That would give these men, Stone and Swybar the final victory.

McElligott got up with the sternest face and the residing Admiral slammed his gavel on a little pad and then pointed it at the Commander.” Only because I do not want a retrial and prolong this any longer I will allow you to finish, but I will charge you with disregarding direct bench orders after this trial. Should you continue this line of defense, I have you removed in irons.”

Mc Elligott growled.” I will have a word with you. I am wearing a kilt. So I am prancing around as well?”

The Judge pointed his gavel at the old Admiral.”Sir, I greatly respect you but you are just an observer, so please sit down and remain silent.”

Hollow was allowed to speak. “The condition of the witness is well documented in his file and none of the Psych experts have flagged it as anything but a private issue of the Midshipman. The Saresii are active members with many million serving in the Fleet and in the PSI corps making this condition a central part of their culture. There is no Navy regulation in place as what gender identity a Fleet member wants to display or feels.”

The Judge said to me.”Midshipman, you are dismissed from the stand.”

I got up and managed to get out of the court room with a steady pace. I had no desire to remain. The clerk who had summoned me said I needed to stay close by in case they would need me again.

I waited in that empty office and was certain I would be notified of my dismissal shortly. It was known to them. It was in my records. It should have not have been a surprise after all the tests, all the telepaths and all the evaluations I went through. If a doctor on Nilfeheim could identify the DNA markers and see the signs then the Navy specialists could too. I should have dealt with this curse before I even went to Arsenal.

I brooded and was in a miserable mood when Commander Hollow came. I got up and stood in attention as it was proper when an Officer entered the room.

She came close and said.”Don’t worry about formalities right now. Admiral Swybar and Commander Stone have been found guilty on all charges will be sentenced later today. Admiral McElligott sends his greetings but was in a hurry as there is a fire burning that requires his attention, those were his exact words.”

I didn’t even want to look at her and said.”He was most likely disgusted and appalled by what he heard about me.”

“He is around for over 3000 years, Midshipman. He has seen more of the human condition than all of us; he was upset because the defense councilor made fun of skirts. He wears his kilt everywhere and dare the soul calling it a skirt. Admiral Stahl is fighting dangerous Unknowns in the Fornax Cluster and that was on his mind and not you.”

“But everyone knows now.”

“Everyone always has and no one ever even thought of it as important enough to mention. This was a closed door court martial and the details of it are classified. Commander Stone and Admiral Swybar will be stripped of their ranks and executed. Commander Hammashannu right now wishes he had not tried his stunt. He is in serious legal trouble and more than just a little afraid after I told him you could decide to challenge him in a Gentleman’s affair. He knows of your duel on Maritime as it is part of your records.”

“This too is in my file?”

“It is not part of your official duty record but it is part of your security back ground file. No worries about that. It is all good.”

“I am not asked to resign?”

“I would not know why. What happened in there was nothing but court room tactics. In a civilian court and in front of a jury it might even have worked to some extent, but this was a Military tribunal.”

“Are there any other orders for me?”

“No you are done here and you are back on vacation for now. You can stick around for the executions or you can take the next space bus to wherever you like.”

“I had enough executions that last me a life time. What does the ‘for now mean’?”

“It means that I do have I orders for you. In four weeks from now you are ordered to go to Ross 248 and report to Gortha Docks. The details are on an order chip I am going to give you.”

“I am not complaining, but why is everyone else getting their full vacation and I am not?”

“Someone thought you might enjoy taking a brand new space ship from Gortha Docks to a Navy Base. It is only a Sturgeon Class courier ship, and does not really require a crew of more than one. It is a simple transfer, flying a little ship from point A to B. I am sure we can find someone else to do the job, if you rather have vacation.”

I actually snatched the Order chip out of her hand. “Commander you can tell that someone, these are orders I prefer over any vacation.”

She smiled.” It was anticipated.”

“Four weeks? That doesn’t leave me all that much time to get there. Isn’t Ross 248 real close to Terra?”

“Yes only a little over 10 light years I believe.”

“I would love to stay longer, Commander and get to know you better, but I got a ship to deliver and getting there by space bus, I better get started right away.”

“We will meet again Midshipman, I am sure of it and very soon.

“I sure hope so.”

The Starbase so I learned was serviced daily by Space Bus and I booked a passage for the next one to Blue Moon, it was leaving within the hour. From Blue Moon I planned to take a Fast Clipper to Alpha Centaury and from there it was not far to Ross 248. This would be my first trip into Old space as the fifty light year sphere around Earth was called.

--””--

WICHITA 4th Planet, Kansas System 264 LY to Terra

Almost a week had passed since I left Lorman’s Starbase. We were approaching Wichita, the last stop before the bus would reach Blue Moon.

The attendant robot made the usual speech.

“Dear passengers we are approaching Wichita Planet in the Kansas System. We will land at Topeka Port in 15 minutes. All passengers with destinations beyond Kansas System are asked to debark as well. This bus will terminate at Topeka Port for repairs.

“Passengers are asked to gather their personal belongings and prepare for debarking. Gray Lines Incorporate cannot be held responsible for items left behind. Passengers with tickets beyond Wichita will receive vouchers to the Holiday Inn Portel for free lodging until a new connection can be made.”

The bus was nearly empty, but one of the passengers barked angry at the machine:” Robot I have an appointment to keep. How long will we be stuck here?”

“This unit has not received a time estimate on the delay, Sir. Gray Lines maintains a staffed counter at the terminal. Please inquire there.”

While I wasn’t in a terrible hurry, I didn’t want to be late for the first navy Assignment I really looked forward to start. It was only a Sturgeon, but it was a real space ship, armed and shielded. Classified as a courier ship, that was exactly what it was mostly used for, to transport sensitive or important messages, passengers and small freight deliveries to places where it was too dangerous or too far for a D type long range shuttle. I had spent most of my flight time reading and downloading everything I could about that ship type. I wanted to know everything about my very first real command. While there was no crew, and technically you needed a Crew to command it was still considered a command in Navy Terms.

The Port Terminal was only slightly bigger than the one on Nilfeheim. The passengers of my flight numbered twenty four including me and when I reached the counter the human female behind it smiled with a bored expression in her eyes.” Gray Lines apologizes for any inconvenience this delay may cause you Sir. Here is your voucher for the Holiday Inn Portel. We expect a 26 hour delay.”

I smiled back.” No problem. I am not in a very big hurry.” I also thanked her for the voucher and went to the Shopping concourse where I went to Arthur’s for a burger. To my surprise the burger was quite delicious and tasted fresh. Since I was the only customer and there was a person server instead of a robot, I commented on the fresh taste. The young human grinned widely over his freckled face.” That’s because we don’t reconstitute here, we grill fresh on an old fashioned flame grill and no robots doing the cooking either. We’re quite proud of that.”

He pointed to one of the large windows. Outside beyond the space port where huge pens filled with brown animals as far as one could see. “What you see out there is only a month production out there. We ship ten thousand cows a day to anywhere in the Galaxy. That’s why our meats are fresh. Real beef not vat grown like they do elsewhere.”

He brought me a second burger on the house and after this short lecture on Wichita’s economy I went to the Portel directly attached to the port terminal and left my bag in my room and decided to tour the town, maybe they had something worthwhile seeing.

So I stepped through the automatic doors and a strong air curtain outside. After I passed through the down blowing air curtain the smell hit me like a hammer. The stench in the air took my breath away and I gagged.

Someone close by laughed:” It takes a while but you will get used to it.”

A man wearing a dark elegant business suit, holding a brief case had walked through the doors just like me. He looked extremely well groomed, wore dark eye glasses and had a little moustache above his lips. He looked a little out of place

“What is that awful smell?”

He pointed towards the animal pens. “Feedlots, hundred thousand cows, pigs and sheep. They all poop and pass gas. Most of the gas is used to generate electricity and most of the poop is shipped off planet, but the rest escapes and that is still a lot.”

“Why would they ship shi ... I mean animal poop?”

“Natural based fertilizer is highly valued by those farmers growing the high end food items”

I took that info and waved the hand before my nose. “How can people stand this?”

“They don’t even smell it anymore and for some it is the smell of home. For me it is the smell of money.”

“Pekunia Non Olet, eh?”

The man laughed. “It appears the academy still teaches classic Latin quotes. ‘Money doesn’t stink’. How appropriate.

“It teaches latin, because of the Pan Sarans.”

“Of course. So what is the Fleet doing here on Wichita? Opening a recruiting office or something like that?”

“No I am just a Midshipman with time to burn. The Space bus is delayed till tomorrow.”

“Well that explains it. I am Brian Solis, Argo-product purchaser for SII. I come here a lot. If you want, I show you the few things worth seeing here and if you can’t find a ride tomorrow, I came with a corporate ship and can give you a ride to Blue Moon”

“I am Eric Olafson from Nilfeheim. You don’t mind?”

He waved:” Heck no. I am always glad to break the routine a little. I even know Nilfeheim I have been there a few times to purchase sea weed and fish.”

He gestured me to follow and we walked past the taxi stand and underneath the Hertz Rental Project-a-Sign he pointed to a new Chrysler Land Speeder.” That is the one. Go get in, have you eaten?”

“Yes I had two burgers at Arthur’s.”

He swiped his ID implant under the reader and the Chrysler doors swung open and a voice thanked him for choosing Hertz. The Interior still smelled new and was upholstered with fine leather. He sat behind the controls and frowned. “Well Arthur’s isn’t bad here, but you should have waited. Cattle Baron Grill in downtown Topeka has the best steaks in the entire sector if not the galaxy and I should know I go to a lot of Agro producing planets.”

“Sorry.” Was all I could think of saying.

He laughed again. “I didn’t mean it like that Eric. You are going to be hungry later for sure. First I need to do some business. If you don’t mind tagging along you are welcome and I having someone to talk to”

“No I don’t mind. I’ve got nothing better to do.”

“Great. We’re going to Jesus Hernandez, biggest Cattle rancher on the planet. The Hernandez Hacienda raises free range cattle the old style. No growing vats, no cloning. His beef is in high demand.”

Brian steered the speeder to a higher altitude, skimming over muddy terrain and seemingly endless herds of brown animals. Robots and men feed them, guided them and wheeled carts of animal dung away.

“So what is it you do exactly? Buying those animals?”

“I am sure you heard about Schwartz Intergalactic Industries.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.