Eric Olafson, Fleet Cadet (Vol 3)
Chapter 19: New Y'all Interlude

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

The Devastator had made it. No one aboard knew very much about the old Celtest engines, except Centron the Ships AI that was also not a product of Union Tech but the ships original AI, utmost loyal to Stahl. Centron warned that the old engines would need serious servicing before they could be used again at these speeds. That would mean the way home would take much longer, unless the Chief Engineer could figure out how to service the alien engines.

However this was a problem, they would face when it was time to return.

Fornax Hub was on the scanners. The base was a Kilomon Class space station, 20,000 meters sphere with Gravo anchor at the bottom and a wide equatorial hangar ring. His scanner operators confirmed there was still some energy but the station was dark and did not respond to hails at all.

“Sir, we are detecting the debris of a Union Starship, it conforms to the mass and materials specifications of the Barracuda Destroyer that was detached to the station. No intact hull compartment, no energy and no life signs.”

Stahl remained silent. This was Harris show and he would not interfere, but that did not mean he was completely out of things to do.” The Barracuda was armed with Translocators; can you confirm the destruction as well?”

If this was indeed a Y’All attack he did not want them to get a hold of Terra’s most potent weapon. The only one that had any real effect on the Y’All invasion so long ago.

“Unable to confirm, Sir. I cannot detect the log drone anywhere and there is not enough left of the Barracuda to make sure otherwise.”

The Devi was under full battle mode, with raised shields and extended cannons. The sensor operators scanned every centimeter of space for any energy signature or anything out of the ordinary.

Harris ordered the launch of two Bison and a wing of Wolfcrafts to retrieve what was left of the Barracuda.

Still the sensors showed nothing.

Of course there was cloaking technology, the Devi could fully cloak and appear invisible to any known sensors, but that was Celtest technology. Did the Y’All master this tech? Or were they up against a new unknown enemy with abilities far beyond the Y’All?”

Harris was well aware of his old friend’s dilemma, being the Old Warrior and as Admiral beyond the command ship of his beloved Devi.” Admiral, what would you recommend?” He was not too proud to ask this legend for advice.

“They are here someone is still here and watching us. I can feel it.” Stahl stared at the main viewer and Harris nodded and symbolically stepped back. It was to signal the crew that Stahl was in Command now and to make sure his friend saw it. Harris main concern was the ship and he had no qualms to hand it temporarily over to a man with almost 3000 years of battle experience.

Alyica had her eyes closed and her mind scanned the space around the ship for any coherent thought, or nerve impulse. She was deeply in love with that old Admiral, a real Terran with no particular Psionic abilities, yet his ability to sense and feel trouble was something she admired greatly.

Just as she sensed it, he said.” Tactical, lay a spread of ten Exo loads in a fan pattern spaced on that moon.

Fornax Hub Station was in a White Dwarf Star system with only one planet, that was tectonic so active that locating the star base in deep space was simply easier. The planet also had a moon, the moon would one day be mined but right now there was no cost effective way to ship ore and minerals to where it was needed.

The Devi shuttered ever so slightly as ten of the largest Anti Matter bombs left the dematerialization breeches. Ten loads would be enough to obliterate the entire moon, and just as the bombs exploded five strange potato shaped alien ships left its surface. Each about 5,000 meters in diameter. There had been two more but they had been destroyed before they could lift of and activate their shields.

Stahl knew the shape of the ship only too well. These were Y’All Armada ships.

--””--

LORMAN’S STAR BASE

The Madrid reached Lorman’s Starbase and I had spent the entire four days at the Helm position. I was at the Helm Controls as we dropped out of Trans light. Captain K’Tngnk had us drop into real space, a full light hour outside of Lorman’s System.

He explained to me.” Even though this is Union Space and we are not at war with anyone as far as I know, but I find it always a good idea to approach any target or star system with a little caution.” He had explained to me the reason for his orders and the thoughts behind them during the entire time and I soaked it up like a dry sponge. He continued.” You rarely run into any trouble in deep space. Space is so vast and so big; the chances to actually run into another ship even on the main traffic lines are pretty slim. Everyone travels at Trans Light speeds and it is almost impossible to intercept a ship that is traveling Trans light. Star Systems on the other hand are the destination and if there is any trouble it is usually around a sun where you find it.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.