Eric Olafson, Fleet Cadet (Vol 3) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Fleet Cadet (Vol 3)

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 18: USS Madrid

I kept my own promise and went to Hasvik and lit a torch for Astrid, Elena did the same and we didn’t talk much on our flight back. I didn’t know Astrid as well as she did, but she was a friend and she saved our lives, paying with hers.

I still feel stuffed from breakfast even though it was close to five as we returned to the Burg. Midril had prepared what must have been the most calories laden and without question the biggest breakfast of Nilfeheim history. Rodney turned out to be the very definition of a Neo Viking. Tall, strong handsome and perhaps a little more open to things from the outside than others. He barely took his eyes of Elena and he tried his best to impress me and I was as social and friendly as I could.

As we landed little Exa and Uncle Hogun were there waiting for us. She had grown quite a bit and was no longer as thin, and I knew it would not be long when she was going to turn heads.

She ran over with flying braids and gave me a long hug.” Thank you, Eric. Meeting you was the luckiest day in my life. I am even getting used to the cold and Papa Hogun says I am becoming a real Nilfeheim girl.”

“How they are treating you in school?”

“Oh at first it was a little odd, me being from Off World and all that, but I told them I am an Olafson and if they want trouble I get my dad.” She grinned widely.” No one wants to mess with Papa Hogun, no one. Now I don’t think they really remember I am from off world and I got good friends too.”

Hogun’s eyes were full of love and pride as he said.”She’s also quite a good student and hasn’t stolen a thing in over six month.”

She giggled.”I gave up on that, besides if Papa Hogun isn’t getting it for me all I have to do is ask Uncle Isegrim.”

Hogun threw his big hands in the air.”That is the greatest miracle of all; my evil brother adores that little girl and spoils her rotten, every time she is out here.”

We talked a little longer and then Uncle Hogun had to go as he didn’t want to leave the Inn just tended by Jan and his helpers. In another hour the Inn would be filled with drinking and eating guests.

Elena gave me a little tour around the Burg to show me what had been done. The Tanneries far below were completely transformed and the revolting process was now done by machines and robots. The stinking vats and the slick gray Duro-cretewere gone, replaced by stainless steel tanks, and tiles. Elena explained that the fine leather produced on Nilfeheim and especially by the Olafson clan was in high demand and fetched good prices. She told me that Isegrim hung by tradition on the Tyranno Fin hunting, but it was no longer the main source of income for the clan.

Elena smiled proudly and said.” The Leather you wear I have selected of the finest grade.”

I told her how much I like it and then added.” It looks especially great on you, Sister.”

There was something about tight leather and female curves I found especially alluring.

After the little tour we ended back in her chambers. She served us Midril’s famous crumble cake and coffee.

“So are we still on for tonight?” She asked me glancing over her cup.

“I would like to, but I made a promise to the Ancient not to do it here no more. Last time it caused a whole lot of trouble as you remember.”

“Ah what could happen? Anyone wanting you ill is gone or dead.”

“And yet I killed Sigvard last night in our own burg. When I come back we will have time to go off planet. Twilight is not far away and there is a big city and we can do whatever we want. Freya wants to get out so bad, but I made a promise. I hope you understand.”

She sighed.”You are right, I was there and no I don’t want you to break the promise you made. You have grown in more ways than one.”

“I still get in plenty of trouble and even if I am careful trying to avoid it, but yes I think the Academy has changed me somewhat.”

I was contacted by the Comm Officer and the Madrid, a full size Battle ship came down homing on my signal.

The huge ship landed right next to the burg smashing the ice and sinking into the water below. The ocean was only 500 meters deep and that meant little to a 3500 meter battleship.

Everyone at the burg however had assembled to see the spectacle even though it was very early in the morning. The gleaming almost white giant dwarfed the burg and the island to insignificance. Father tried to hide his feelings but I knew he was in awe just like the rest.

I once more wore my uniform wished them all farewell and boarded the Landing tank that was sent to get me to the ship.

While I would have liked to stay a little longer, the ship next to the burg was like an omen, a sign to show me were my real home would be in the future. Nilfeheim was the place I had grown up, and as much as I was a Neo Viking I was no longer really home there. My home was now the Navy.

The Klack Captain greeted me himself as I debarked and I saluted as crisp as I could.”Midshipman Olafson, Sir, requesting permission to come aboard, Sir.”

“Permission granted.” The Klack was insectoid and about as alien to a human as can be. I never had any close contact with a member of that species, even though there were quite a few at the Academy with me.

I assumed he was a he as most Klack were male and only the queen and her princesses were female. He eyed me up and down with his almond shaped all black eyes.” I always follow my orders and usually they make sense, but why the Madrid is playing taxi for a first year cadet, by direct orders of the Old man himself is a mystery to me.”

I was still standing in attention and therefore was unable to respond. He glanced at my ribbon display and wiggled his antennae.” Another mystery is why a First Year Cadet has a bigger collection of citations than some twenty year fleet officer. At ease Cadet, we will get you situated and we have you at Lorman’s Starbase in four days.”

“Thank you Sir.”

I was not sure if he wanted an answer to his questions before as he turned and a human Commander who had been standing silently behind the Klack motioned me to follow him.” I am Commander Vasco and I am going to show you to your quarters.”

“Thank you Sir.” I repeated and followed him.

“Is it classified or can you help us shed light on the mysteries the Captain spoke off?”

“I do not think it is classified. I was home on my first leave after first year Academy and was summoned to appear as witness in a court martial procedure that will take place at Lorman’s Starbase, if I understood my orders correctly.”

“That makes sense. Lorman’s is the JAG Center for this sector and has several military courts, usually only really high profile cases are handled there. You must have witnessed something quite extraordinary.”

I was about to say why when the Commander said.” I am not sure you should tell me about the details of the case. Such information is for the court and could very well be classified.”

“Speak for yourself.” Snarled the Klack captain several steps ahead of us,” I want to know. Have the Cadet attend Captain’s table at 2000 hrs sharp.”

“Aye Sir.”

The Captain disappeared into an IST shaft and was gone. The Commander grinned at me.” Our old Ant is a very good captain. It is usually completely impossible to predict what is on his mind, and not only because he is a Klack and he is a stickler for Fleet formalities. So it is Dress Uniform for dinner, Midshipman.”

“Yes Sir.”

He was a Commander but he did not seem to be stuck up or anything like that and he smiled.” There is something on your mind, Midshipman. Go ahead and ask it.”

“I was wondering why the Madrid landed on Nilfeheim instead of just sending a shuttle down.”

He kept grinning.” There is an ancient standing order for Nilfeheim, that whenever a Union Battleship has business near this planet we are supposed to land, just to remind you Neo Vikings the Union has not forgotten about the time you decided to be pirates.”

“But that was so long ago and we are Union Members for a very long time.”

“The Navy is just as old and the order is on the books and no one ever bothered to take it off I guess.”

I grinned back at him.” Maybe it is a good order after all. I know of Old clan lords who still dream occasionally about the old days, my father is no exception.”

I had received spacious and quite luxurious quarters, most likely reserved for traveling dignitaries and not how a Midshipman would usually be situated. It had a Navy issue Auto dresser. Since it was still very early, I had an entire day ahead of me before it was time for dinner. This was not a civilian craft where I could simply go for a stroll. I was sure the Madrid had extensive recreational facilities but I was not part of the crew, besides I could easily end up in some restricted area and get into trouble.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.