Eric Olafson, Fleet Cadet (Vol 3) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Fleet Cadet (Vol 3)

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 15: Nilfeheim

The Space bus came out of FTL and approached the blue and white sapphire sphere that was Nilfeheim. I had 6 month before I had to return to the Academy.

This was my home world and I was longing to take a long deep dive and feel the fresh cold water all around me, it was of course still Longnight. That I had left Nilfeheim just a little over a year ago was something I could hardly believe. So much has happened since then; it felt I had been gone for much longer.

“I wonder how Nilfeheim is like.” A young man asked, sitting in the next seat. He wore a gaudy looking bright yellow jumpsuit with holographic flames displayed on it. His skin had a deep tan and his hair was almost as yellow as his suit. He also wore black glasses.

“It’s still Longnight but it has just started, so I don’t think it will be too cold and it won’t yet drop below minus 60 degrees Celsius at night, and there will be lots of snow.”

The guy shivered.

“Sixty below and lots of snow?”

“You didn’t check on Nilfeheim before you decided to come here?”

He thumbed behind his back and when I looked I saw about forty more guys dressed just like the one next to me. “We’re the Solar Dolphins.” He said this as if this would explain it all.

“The Solar Dolphins?” I asked.

“You never heard of us? We are last year’s Galympic Gold Champions.”

“You are a sports team of sorts? I spend the last year at the academy and we did not have much time to listen to news and such.”

“We play Water polo. My buddies and I are from Sol Castle. You do know about Sol Castle, right? Anyway our trainer, Mr. Shallow heard that Nilfeheim supposedly has the best humanoid swimmers in the galaxy and we going to have our training camp there.”

I tried hard not to laugh. The very image of these brightly dressed boys training with grim Neo Vikings was very funny to me.

Perhaps things had changed on Nilfeheim while I was gone, but I didn’t bet on it.

He went on. “Are you a water polo fan? Is that why you go to Nilfeheim?”

“Sorry I don’t even know what Water polo is. I am from Nilfeheim. I am going home.”

He stared at me as if I told him I didn’t know what walking is.

“A water polo team consists of seven players. We play ball in a pool. There are goals and we try to put the ball into the other teams’ goal, at the same time we are to prevent them from doing the same thing to us.”

I was not really interested but I tried to be polite.

“I see.”

“If you Neo Vikings are such good swimmers, what sports do you compete in?”

“We don’t actually call them sports, but there is axe throwing, brawling, drinking, harpooning, Fanger riding and of course skull bashing.”

He sighed. “Maybe Mr. Shallow made a bad decision to go to a primitive planet populated with dumb brutes.”

“I wouldn’t repeat that in front of a Neo Viking if I were you.”

He snorted but kept anything further to himself.

The space bus broke through the cloud cover and descended towards the big island called Midgard. The largest town was Harstad Fjord and Freikstat Haven two clicks from town was the only space port on the planet.

The large duro-crete surface of the port had been cleared of snow; huge mountains of the white mass had been piled all around the perimeter of the landing field.

The Solar Dolphin next to me also stared out the window.” It even looks cold.”

After the bus had landed we all got up and moved towards the exits.

As I stepped through the warm air curtain into the fresh crisp air, I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. There was the distinctive smell of burning Tyranno Blubber and somewhere not too far away someone roasted Fish. I became instantly hungry.

“Move it buster. You’re blocking the slide belt.” Someone behind me barked with an angry tone.

I wasn’t here to fight or get agitated. I stepped on the slide belt, but I didn’t feel like apologizing either.

After a short slide belt ride into the Arrival section of the terminal, a big man in Union-Customs uniform, braided beard and hair glanced at his readout as I passed my ID implant under the reader.” Welcome home, Master Olafson.” He grabbed me by the underarm and I did the same, the traditional greeting.

I checked his name tag.” It is good to be home Master Leik.” He was from the Stavanger Clan. I knew of his clan, but it was on the other side of the planet and his family did not have all that much contact with mine.

“It’s the first time I see a Viking in Navy uniform. What a good thing to see.”

The angry voice behind me barked again:” Jeezuz, keep the local gossip for after hours. I am freezing my butt of out here. What a bunch of slow pokes.”

Leik’s face lost all friendliness and he raised one of his bushy blond eyebrows. I turned and looked into the face of a yellow dressed Solar dolphin.” It wouldn’t hurt if you say please and don’t call me names.”

“Oh just move it. I have no time to discuss the finer points of social interaction with a local slow poke.”

I really wanted to punch him but tried to remain civilized. Leik had fewer reservations and smacked his sledge hammer fist in the face of the irritated Solian and made him skid a few meters against the moving slide belts direction and collide with another Solar Dolphin. I simply smiled and went on, let them sort that out. I just knew nothing much had changed on Nilfeheim.

The Terminal was not very busy, but the shopping concourse was as lively as ever and still mostly women. I saw a gaggle of scantily dressed girls stroll down the main corridor and that reminded me of a time when I did the same thing. It also reminded me of Astrid Mossberg and I promised myself to visit the Halls of Hasvik and place a torch for her beneath the statue of Freya.

There was a new Mc Burger, a convenience store and a souvenir shop where they sold Tyranno Fin teeth carved into cups and similar trinkets. Two men held a sign reading “Solar Dolphins welcome.” waited next to the exit. Outside, beyond the slide doors was a row of five hover taxies the same five taxies that had been there when I left.

No one had come to greet me or to pick me up, but then no one knew I was coming. I wanted to surprise Elena and Uncle Hogun. I wished Tyr would be awake so I could tell him everything, but he was still asleep, most likely. I went outside and stood there for a moment, the sun was barely above the horizon and it would not rise much further during Longnight. In a few hours it would set again.

One of the hover Cab operators waved, but I shook my head, shouldered my bag and walked.

Halstaad Fjord was a city of about 500,000. No building was taller than five stories and made of local rock and concrete. Most buildings where connected with sub surface tunnels that was easier than shoveling snow, but small paths had been cleared at the sides since many liked to walk outside. Right before the entrance to the Space port was a large stone statue of an imposing Neo Viking, his hand resting on the hilt of a broadsword and around his neck the chain of a clan chief. The medallion hanging from it showed the falcon head of the Ragnarsson Clan. This was my grandfather. They made true on the promise and erected a statue in his honor.

From here I could see the collection of warehouses and next to it the administration building of the local Exchange. I wondered if Mr. Amundsen was still its manager. The Exchange was the largest employer on the planet. All the fish and everything else was sold there, processed, packed and shipped of planet twice a month. You could also buy harpoons there and entire boats.

Next to it was Miligards Harpoon and Axe, one of the oldest weapon shops and sword smiths in town. No matter what time of day it was on Nilfeheim there were at least two boys staring into the windows at the gleaming axes, knives and swords. This time I counted three.

Two women with long blond braids stood inside Camden’s Dry goods chatting away, wearing their long blue skirts, white aprons and puffy blouses. In their baskets I was certain would be either a bag of flour or a bag of sugar. There was not all that much else Camden’s sold but these items in enormous quantities.

Beyond the town the endless ocean, now covered with ice and on a cold clear day like today you could see the curve of the planet.

Here I didn’t need directions. I would have found my way with closed eyes.

I made it to Hogun’s Inn. A sturdy building not far from the shore made of big rough cut granite boulders with a steep roof (for snow to slide off) and stain glass windows. No holo sign nor any projection advertisement but a simple wooden plank suspended by a few links of rusty chain, long ago it had been painted, but now it was brushed blank by wind and weather carried the carved name of the inn.

It was still early in the day when I walked through the door and stomped the snow of my boots over the snow grating behind the door. The guest area was deserted; most men were at work or out on the ice. I sat down at one of the big table of polished stone oak wood.

A big man came from a door behind the counter and came over.” Welcome to Hogun’s, what can I get you, Sir?”

“How about a big bowl of Fin Stew, fresh steam bread and a big tankard of Halverson’s Dark warmed up a bit.”

“By Odin’s beard we don’t get many spacers here who know how to order.”

“I worked in that kitchen of yours long enough to know what’s good, Uncle Hogun.” I took my officers cap off and raised my head so he could see my face

“Eric.” He rushed over and gave me a bear hug, lifting me off my feet. Hogun was a very big man, even by Nilfeheim standards, where men reaching 220 centimeters where not all that uncommon. I was almost 200 cm tall; Uncle Hogan reached the lofty heights of 248. He could arm wrestle two man at once. I saw him do it many times. “Freya be thanked. Odin be praised. Thor be worshipped. The gods have kept you safe and you have returned.””I was homesick for ocean, cold water and decent food.” I hugged the man back:” Of course I missed you too.”

He let me go:” Let me get you decent food and drink then. You got to tell me everything, but you can do that while you eat.”

Uncle Hogun disappeared in the kitchen and came back after only ten minutes with a huge bowl of steaming fish stew, a giant Tyranno steak grilled to perfection and fresh hot bread. He slammed a tankard of meet next to the bowl and smiled.” Eat up. There is more where that came from. I was just making that fin-steak for me so it was ready. I put a few more on the grill, just in case”

The first spoon was like tasting heaven and I closed my eyes savoring the flavor.” By Odin this is fit for Valhalla and the Aseir.”

He sat down across me and smiled. “You have grown, not only in size but you appear more grown up now.”

“A lot has happened and the Academy is no picnic. How are little Exa and Aunt Freydis?”

“The little girl has changed our life and now she is getting a little brother or sister soon. Freydis is pregnant.”

His bright blue eyes sparkled with joy and pride and I congratulated him. I knew how much he wished for kids of his own.

He looked around to make sure no one was there to hear.”I did go to a clinic while we were off planet. They fixed things and now everything is alright. Exa is growing and she is at school right now. As for your aunt, you know her; she takes her midwife duties more serious than life itself. The Malmborg expect twins and she went all the way to Norbotten.”

Norbotten was a tiny island close to the permanent ice of the North Pole, exceptionally inhospitable and home to the Malmborg clan.

“Sometimes I believe Aunt Sonja delivered every kid on the planet.”

He laughed:” I don’t think that is far from the truth. We do have a clinic here, but you know Vikings, they rather do it the old way. I just wish she would take it a little slow right now, at least until the baby is here”

“As old Egill said, Uncle Hogun. She knows more about these things then most doctors.”

He spread his arms. “Yes you are right of course. I just can’t wait for it to happen.” He gestured at my uniform. “So what are you now? Did you make it to Star ship captain?”

I laughed. “No Uncle Hogun, I completed my first year. I am on the bottom of the ladder and they call that a Midshipman. I got three more years to go until I graduate.”

“Well you are going to be a Captain one of these days. You talked about that ever since you where this tall.” He showed me with his hand, barley reaching his knees.

“So how are things here on Nilfeheim?”

He shrugged. “Nothing much has changed here since you have left. We do have a female Elder now and that is about the biggest chance everyone is talking about. The bachelors of every clan running out to the burg in a hope to catch a glimpse of Elena, she is perhaps the most beautiful woman that ever walked this planet and she has a smart mind and your father adores her. Are you planning to take your rightful place as first born now, do you still want to kill him? He has changed somewhat, but he is always Isegrim.”

“No, I am an officer now and I still would be accountable for my actions under federal law. Have you ever thought of leaving Nilfeheim?”

He leaned forward.” I did. I stowed away on a Freighter. Travelled a bit, but nothing seemed to work out for me out there and I came back, then I married Freydis and her father left us this place. He too was a second son.”

He had never mentioned to me being off planet but a few things he said when I was living here, made sense now and it explained why he knew quite a bit about blaster weapons.

I cleaned the last traces of stew with a piece of bread and started on the steak. It was pure grilled heaven.

He got up. “I am getting me a beer, do you want some too? I got a few barrels from Planet Holstein. It’s the best Pilsner you ever tasted.”

“Sure I try some.” I pushed the plate away With two large glasses full of golden beer with perfect froth crowns and two shot glasses of Aquavit, he came back to the table and lifted his glass.” I drink to you Eric. May Thor protect you and welcome you into Valhalla when the time comes.”

I raise my glass as well.” May Thor welcome you, Uncle Hogun when the time comes so you may arm wrestle all the heroes at the great banquet.”

We drank. The beer was cold, had a crisp bitter taste and went down smooth.

Hogun didn’t leave more than mist in the glass as he set it down. “Those Germans on Holstein sure know how to make beer I tell you.”

“It is quite good.”

He pushed the empty glass back and forth between his huge hands and then smiled.”Your red flyer is still in my shed. If you want to take it out to the burg, I bet Elena will scream half the Burg down when she sees you.”

I got up and looked forward to see the Burg and my new sister. It was then my PDD chirped and I saw the Logo of the fleet rotating. I accepted the call quite surprised and looked into the face of a human with the rank of Commander. “Midshipman Olafson, I am sorry to disturb you on your first vacation, but your presence is required at Lorman’s Starbase

“I have to be at Lorman’s Starbase?”

“Yes Midshipman, I am unable to give you any details over civilian channels but you will be briefed as soon as you can make it there. Can I inquire your current location?”

The call and the seeming urgency caught me totally off guard. What was there a little midshipman could do, no one else could?” I am at home on Nilfeheim. The next space bus will not be here for a week.”

“We will organize transport for you. A ship will pick you up in a day or two.”

“Aye Sir.”

Uncle Hogun had heard the whole conversation and frowned. “That didn’t sound as if you were someone at the bottom of the ladder.”

I was still thinking about this mysterious call when I flew my old flyer out to the burg. Was this a trap of more of Swybin’s friends? I decided to try to call Admiral Mc Elligott. There was probably a snowball in hell chance to get through to him, but I had to try at least. I stopped the flyer and let it hover and asked the system to connect me with Fleet HQ and the Admiral. A black skinned Lieutenant took the call and after I identified myself I took a deep breath and said.” I would like to get a GalNet connection to the Admiral of the Fleet.”

“You reached Administration, Midshipman Olafson.” He made a face as if he thought I was a lunatic and said.”Let me see if you are on the list of those who can get through.”

He looked of screen and his expression changed and his attitude changed as well.” Yes Midshipman Olafson you are indeed on the list of authorized persons. One moment I am connecting you to Commander Quntillius that is his Adjutant. He will connect you if he can.”

The screen image went blank for a moment and the same Commander who just had contacted me appeared and he said.”Ah Mr. Olafson, you could have called directly using the call back feature. The USS Madrid has been rerouted and should arrive in 24 hours at Nilfeheim. Captain K’Tngnk is informed to take you to the Starbase with all due haste.”

He turned his head and said to someone I could not see.” Yes Sir, it is Midshipman Olafson. We were successful in contacting him and the Madrid is on her way to pick him up.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.