Eric Olafson, Fleet Cadet (Vol 3) - Cover

Eric Olafson, Fleet Cadet (Vol 3)

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Chapter 14: Commander Letsgo's Office Interlude

The Commander still stared at the torn off rank insignia of the former Midshipman as his Desk, Then hisCom flashed with the top urgent icon.

He touched the screen and a Holo transmission from Fleet headquarters solidified. It was the Old man himself, Admiral of the Fleet McElligott. “Where is Midshipman Olafson?”

“Sir, the Ex Midshipman is just transferred to the brig. That subject has been dealt with swift and harsh. I doubt he is conscious. Thirty five lashes and off to Brisbane tomorrow.”

McElligott gazed at him with open contempt. “So you are involved as well. I never thought it possible.”Letsgo was confused. “Sir I am involved with what?”

Just then the door slammed open and Admiral Stahl entered he too seemed quite angry and Letsgo felt suddenly very small. Especially since he did not know what was going on. Behind Stahl, the General of the Psi Corps Lichfangh and yet another Admiral stormed in, he was the Judge Advocate General of the Navy and with him two Spec ops Marines with fully charged arm cannons at the ready.

Stahl was the first speaking and he repeated the question: “Where is Midshipman Olafson?”

“Sir I just told Admiral Elligott that he is in the brig. We contained this disgusting individual and have dealt with him.”

Stahl nodded to the Marines.”Find him. See that the Narth ave access to him at once.”

The marines responded by running out of the room.

“The Narth is dead. Olafson has killed him.” Letsgo said.

Elligott’s holo stepped forward.” He has done no such thing.”

Stahl raised his hand.

“I always considered you one of the finest officers and I felt some friendship between us. For the sake of that friendship I want you to tell me exactly what occurred. I expect from you nothing but the truth.”

Letsgo felt insulted by that.”Sir I live by our honor code. I never lie.”

“Then tell me.”

“Olafson was a Kermac Spy. We know that the Narth became aware of his subversive activity. So Olafson lured him and the other Midshipmen out of his dorm into joining him on a fake survey mission. Lt. Waltham believed it as he saw the falsified orders Olafson presented, because only with an officer could he get all of them off base. He thought he was safe on the other side of the planet. There he used a Kermac Duo Mine, smuggled in from his last R&R trip to disable the Crawler Cat, and killed the Narth with a terrible weapon of yet unknown nature, all that was left was a dried out corpse. Little did he know that retired Commander Wilson owns a little hobby farm there. Commander Wilson conducts botanical research there and heard the explosions.

He went straight to investigate, but Olafson trapped him, almost killed the old Soldier but Wilson managed to fight and restrain Olafson and call for help.”

“How do you know all this?”

“Commander Stone, a special CID investigator played the audio records of the Crawler and presented me with Olafson’s signed confession. Lt. Granger of my own staff witnessed it and confirmed the confession. Also we have the witness report of Commander Wilson.”

“Did it at no time occur to you to hear the witnesses present at those events, namely the Midshipmen? Did you as their commanding officer bother to check on Olafson and ask him yourself about these accusations?”

“No Commander Stone placed a gag order on the other Cadets. Because of the ongoing investigation into the spying charges and I was unable to interview Olafson because he was under CID lock. I did request to see him once, but my request was denied. Commander Stone was interviewing him at that time and I did not want to deal with a Kermac spy anyway.”

“I am not sure if I should court martial you or simply throw you out of office for incompetence.”

McElligott said.”I will arrange for both to happen. Even if all would have been true and Olafson did all this. You should have been involved, turning over every stone to see how this could have happened under your watch. If this tall tale would have been true it would be one of the most spectacular espionage cases in the entire history of our Fleet.

“Imagine an 18 year old Neo Viking that never really left his home planet prior to joining the Navy being an accomplished Kermac Spy.One able to fool all tests and checks on Arsenal to attend basic training, somehow able to smuggle a two ton Kermac Device unseen by all other Cadets aboard a small Leyland Space bus. Setting the device up all across the planet and falsifying academy orders to lure a Lieutenant into the Jungles. Every single detail of this incident should have raised red flags with you.”

Letsgo wished he could sit down. His legs suddenly felt weak. “Sir, the written confession, the Audio recording.”

“You can manufacture such a recording in five minutes on any Computronic along with the written confessions. Why was Olafson not seen by a JAG officer? Why did you not contact JAG”

“Because Commander Stone came from Perryton was from JAG CID and he took the case.”

“This base is your command not his. Commander Stone telling you he investigates the case could therefore not head the proceedings.”

“I see you are not directly involved but to be so gullible and so naïve and blind makes you just as guilty.”

--””--

Narth alive

I woke in our dorm room, all by myself. The room looked deserted and not because no one but me was here. A room that was occupied by seven beings showed signs of being lived in, even a place as neat and tidy as a military dorm room showed such signs. The bedding on all bunks was gone. The locker doors stood wide open and appeared exactly as we found them when we came here. The name tag fields empty. It hit me instantly my friends where gone.

I got up. My back was bandaged. There was no pain at the moment, but a tight sensation as if my skin was stretched to the limits underneath the bandage.

My own sea bag was standing next to my locker, already packed. A new uniform was laid out on the bed.

I held my head and whispered.”Narth?”

There was no answer and somehow I knew I was alone. But I was in the dorm and my uniform was laid out. I was not on a transport to Brisbane.

What had changed?

I all felt like in a bad dream but I intended to end it once and for all and quit. I got dressed and made my way to the Commander’s office. I remembered the alien device I had in my head and the prospect that I was going to commit suicide was frightening. Narth was never with me I just imagined his voice and presence, but suicide was not on my agenda right now. I was angry and wanted to vent my emotions at someone and then I would quit the Navy. My dream turned out to be anything but what I expected.

Just as I left the Dorm section and turned to the IST (Inter Station transport) to ride to the top, Lieutenant Aurellius came running in my direction.” Midshipman Olafson. I was just looking for you. We need you in the Command center.”

“Sir, do you know what happened? I am not a Midshipman anymore.”

“Commander Letsgo will fill you in, but now we must go to the Commanders Office.”

“So he can spill some more of his poison. I am going to tell him what I think of this place.

So I followed him, in my mind I already quit and did not treat him with the respect a superior officer expected. The Navy and its officers lost all credibility and respect in my eyes.

“Commander Letsgo got up from his chair and walked over.”Welcome in the land of the living Cadet Olafson. I am glad you are here.”

“I am not. I am here to tell you I am quitting. I was treated like a criminal and no one explained to me what I really have done to deserve all this. I was held captive, have been tortured, violated and whipped in public. I had it.”

His face became serious. “I know. I know what has been done to you. I must take responsibility for it as I failed to take action or open my eyes.

“The device that had been placed in your mind has been removed. Your friend Narth is safe, alive and back on Narth world”

“That does not change anything. All those speeches about honor and dignity, how officers have to behave is all a lie.”

I stopped, my eyes widened:” Narth is okay?”

Letsgo nodded with a smile. “Yes he is.”

Only now I noticed that there was another person in the office. I recognized the old man, everyone would have. It was the Admiral of the Fleet, Admiral Mc Elligott.I had met him before after all.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.