Eric Olafson, Fleet Cadet (Vol 3)
Chapter 7: Distant Events Interlude

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

Carl Kerry leaned on his staff and let his gaze wander over the peaks of the mountains and the alpine meadows before him then he looked over his flock of goats grazing on the herbs and grasses. The orange sun in the sky migt eventually be fixed by Wurgus engineers, but there was no hurry. The local star would last a many hundred million years before it begun to expand, reach the next stage in a suns life and become a red M Class star. In the process of this development swallow the Planet Annapurna he was standing on.

Annapurna was a lovely world very earth like with slightly more land than water and lots of high mountains. The fact that the planet had two large moons that pulled on the magma and lava and caused much tectonic activity especially in the planets early existence was the reason for the many mountain ranges.

There were eleven planets in the Buonanno System, Annapurna was the second closest planet to the sun. None of the other planets were settled or even much surveyed. The planet was about as far from Pluribus as you could be and still be in Union Milky Way territory. This was the Fornax Dwarf a so called satellite galaxy to the large Milky way Galaxy and the Buonanno System belonged to the Fornax 4 cluster. Almost 46,000 light years to Blue Moon. Sixty five star systems were utilized and colonized in the entire Fornax Dwarf.

So far no sentient life form had been found native to this cluster. Even though Fornax was considered a dwarf galaxy and a satellite to M-0, it was still a galaxy. There was no real reason for the Union to be out here, but ever since the Attikan Commonwealth joined the Union there was an increased interest in these satellites.

When Fornax Four was surveyed by a Union explorer, they found a great number of star systems with beautiful garden worlds, just like Annapurna. Moderate climates, water, rich local fauna and flora but nothing sentient claiming it as their own. Sixteen light years from Annapurna was Hubble System and Fornax Hub. A Fleet Outpost and one day would be the traffic hub of this region.

When Carl’s group, the Simples looked for a world they could colonize and live away from the rat race of the galaxy the Colonist Bureau suggested Annapurna. The planet was surveyed, but because it was so far from everything. No one had claimed it so it was free for the taking. That it was not served by space bus was just what they wanted. A courier ship with mail would come once a month from Hubble and they were able to keep contact with the rest of the Universe via GalNet.

Now the colony was in its second generation and existed for 48 years and all went well so far. The local fauna and flora was of consumable and nothing really terribly dangerous existed. Yes there were a few predatory animals but nothing more dangerous than a Terran Lion or Tiger.

The main settlement was twenty five kilometers from Carl’s hut. A small town of about twenty thousand colonists. The rest of the about ten thousand settlers were spread all across this globe.

Carl used to teach prehistoric agriculture and husbandry at the University of New Cambridge and was considered an expert in his field. He heard of the Simples movement and joined the society and never regretted his decision.

He made goat cheese and every two weeks he would take his rumbler and drive it down the mountain to sell his cheese at the local Xchange. During the first twenty years there was no space bus, but now it would come once a month. Annapura was a Union Planet and as such had a Union school, a Post office, an Xchange and space bus connection.

Technically you could travel all the way back to M-0 and Upward, however the trip took many month. You would have to do this trip in many stages and aboard one of the long range freight trains, pushed by slow long range freight tugs, doing the trip once a year. Of course no real Space Bus connection existed connecting this collection of distant colonies with M-0. The existing connection was to to Fornax Hub seventy light years away and via that hub to the other colonized worlds of this distant little bubble of Union space. There was however a relay chain of GalNet buoys that allowed these truly remote colonists to keep abreast with news and developments. Not that many really wanted to, they had chosen this remote location for a reason after all.

The Simples had no real rules, technology was not prohibited. The whole philosophy of being a Simple was to have the right to live a simple life style and do what they pleased away from social norm and pressure and free of violence. Weapons were considered the seed of evil and scorned. Carl was a fervent believer in pacifism. He believed that nothing ever justified war. When one of his students signed up for the Union marines, despite all his preaching and month of anti war sermons.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.