Eric Olafson, Fleet Cadet (Vol 3)
Chapter 4: Alcohol

Copyright© 2018 by Vanessa Ravencroft

We watched him leave and as we left the training hall, Narth asked. “Lying can be polite sometimes, is that so?”

I was thinking for a moment what he meant and then said. “We humans always say we prefer the truth, but in certain cases we rather not want to hear or tell the truth. Especially when dealing with others. Why do you ask?”

“You said to La Lupe that you are a ruffian at best, and yet you are the best fencer and I am not certain our instructor is much ahead of your skill level, but I think I begin to understand.”

“I had a lot of practice before I left Nilfeheim, but when it comes to style I am not very refined.”

“When we have time I would like to learn how to throw the knife like you do”

“I am sure glad there are a few things I can show you, but why would you want to? You can throw knifes with those Telekinetics of yours, better than anyone.”

“Like Aurelius said, there could be situations when I am unable to use this ability, besides I find it quite fascinating how you do it.

“I make a real Neo Viking out of you yet.”

While we walked down the hallway he said after a few moments. “That is an an interesting goal indeed.”

I elbowed him in the side. “I am just not sure this galaxy is ready for a Barbarian Neo Viking Narth.”

He looked at me from the side.” The galaxy is ready for a very long time, Eric. However I think we should postpone the goal for me to become a Narth Barbarian amalgam.”

Then I remembered. “I do not have anything civilian. All my effects were taken at Academy entry.”

“I can give you one of my robes.” Narth offered.

“Why did they let you keep your robes anyway?”

“My robe is more than just a garment to me Eric. It protects all Non Narth from our true form. Humans cannot look upon us without getting mentally injured, weaker minds often cease to function and die. I am the first Narth ever to join the Navy and nothing could be found that gives an equal amount of protection. The Navy however insisted that I would wear a robe in cadet green, instead of my usual black”

“Is that why your eye slits glow and there are no real eyes behind them?”

“I would say they are real eyes, just quite different from yours. The light my eyes emit is not visible light at all. It is seen by your mind not your eyes.”

“So a robot would not see that glow?”

“No a machine without bio-neuro components would not register it.”

“One of these days I still like to see how you really look.”

“One of these days I shall take you with me to Narth. Narth Supreme is eager to meet you. The Narth Supreme will find a way so you can see me as I am.”

“I look forward to it. Meeting your folks and your planet and see how you live.”

We had reached the showers and we disappeared moments later each in a shower stall. I thought how honored and touched I felt by Narths invitation and I promised myself to learn everything about the Narth so I would not make a fool of myself. While I showered I was trying to imagine how his Planet would look like. I was certain that whatever I was thinking was completely wrong and perhaps I would not even be able to understand what I was seeing. As I left the stall, he was already done wearing a black robe. The eerie glow behind his eye slits appeared more intense.

He handed me a dark red colored robe.” Here, I choose this color so they can tell us apart.”

“I doubt anyone would mistake me for a Narth.”

“All you have to do is do the spooky thing and let your eyes glow.”

I laughed as I slipped into the robe.”You know what Aurelius is right; you did develop a sense of humor. Do the spooky thing. That does not sound like you at all.”

“No perhaps not but Olia is saying it all the time.”

The robe material felt almost like liquid metal. It felt smooth and not at all like a fabric. It was also quite cool and that I thought was worth it, on a humid and hot world like this. A darker metal like belt appeared all by itself and girded the garment around the waist.

“Hey that isn’t bad at all I could get used to it, even though it reminds me of a very dark episode of my life.”

“One is pleased that you find Narth garments acceptable.”

I laughed at him.”Now that’s how you supposed to sound.”

He handed me a pair of gloves and I put them on and I liked the feel of them quite a bit. You knew you were wearing gloves but, just barely. I thought how practical they would be in a fight, when you never get sweaty hands and always keep a good grip.

“You are welcome to keep them, of course.” Narth answered to my train of thought. I was so used to him answering to my unspoken thoughts that I didn’t even bother to ask my next question out loud, because I wondered where he kept all those things. Since he, like everybody else had only a small locker. It was forbidden to store anything in them except issued standard items.

“I utilize a subspace pocket inside my left sleeve. I can store any number of items there, only limited by the size that fits trough the subspace hole.”

“Wow. That sounds quite practical. I doubt even Fleet has anything like it.”

“I am certain they do not. It requires a different tech level as Humans say.”

I somehow knew he didn’t want me to tell anyone about it and he only told me because I was his friend.”

He simply nodded and changed the subject. “Will you tell me about that dark episode of your life?”

“Yes of course, but this is a longer story, it might be better I simply think about it and you check out my memories.”

“You will let me do that?”

“You know how I feel about you and that I trust you.”

He fell silent for a little while I was recalling the hanging and being the Assistant executioner. Then he said. “This is a complicated matter and I must process the information, but I will have many questions about it.”

“Ask anytime.Not that I am very proud of my participation in these sad events”

I went to the door and Narth followed and then he said. “The entire situation with Lt. De La Lupe makes me consider this an unusual event as well. It does not appear that way to you?”

“It’s another test. I am sure of it. Whenever something seemingly odd happens it ends up being a test. Besides I think the Lieutenant is trustworthy if he thinks we can do it, let’s make him proud and do our best.”

As we left the showers Narth said. “It does sound logical.”

I actually had no idea where the Officers Lounge was. We stopped at the next Inter Base Transport Unit and stepped into the transport cabin. “Officers Lounge, please.” I said to the voice pick up.

“Identity scanned. Cadets are not allowed to access.”

Narth said.” I can sense La Lupe. Let’s go the other way.”

The IBT cabin vanished and the world changed before my eyes as if someone switched a holo-program. I unexpectedly stood in a softly lit room with low ceiling and comfortable looking seat groups around small tables. There was a bar on one side. Amuse-matics lined up against the facing wall along with a few GalNet booths. The most striking feature was the large transparent wall across the room, showing a greenish underwater landscape, submerged Tree roots and plants. We saw a scaled lizard swimming past, of the same huge kind that greeted us on our first night. The officer’s lounge so it became apparent was under the nearby lake.

Letsgo and Lt. La Lupe jumped out of their seats, even more startled than I was, because of our sudden appearance.

“Holy mother of God.” The Lieutenants’ hand darted to his sidearm, but stopped before pulling it.”You need to warn others before teleporting like that, and dressed like that.”

I nudged Narth and grunted. “That includes me.”

But Narth acted as if he didn’t notice. Despite the fact that I just knew he was grinning behind his hood. He snapped in attention and I followed his example an eye blink later. “Cadets Narth and Olafson report as ordered at 1900 hrs at the Officers Lounge wearing as requested civilian attire.”

Several officers most of them Instructors we knew, but also beings I had not seen so far turned to us and a few of them looked as if they disapproved our presence and then continued with whatever they were doing.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.