The Gutenberg Rubric - Cover

The Gutenberg Rubric

Copyright© 2018 by Wayzgoose

Chapter 32

“Joey!” Maddie screamed. Fry charged into Keith and Maddie, knocking them to the floor behind the door as the explosion rocked the outer chamber and the shockwave extinguished the torches. Absolute darkness claimed the space.

“Maddie! Maddie!” Keith called frantically as he groped for her hand in the darkness.

“Joey, no!” she wept. “Why? Why?” Keith caught her hand and soon had her cradled in his arms.

“Maddie, are you injured?” A flashlight flicked on and Agent Fry swept the area toward them with the beam.

“Are you two okay?” he asked at the same time.

“No. Yes.” Maddie said answering both questions. “My baby brother.” She turned her head and wept into Keith’s shoulder.

“I think we’re all right,” Keith said to Fry. “Shine your light over here. I dropped my flashlight.” Fry’s beam crisscrossed the area near Keith until it lit on Keith’s flashlight. Keith grabbed the light and turned it on. Rubble was sprayed across the floor in front of the door and dust still hung in the air.

“Do you have matches?” Fry asked. When Keith nodded, he continued. “See if you can get a couple of torches lit. I’ll take a look at the damage.” Fry’s left arm hung limply at his side as he moved toward the entry. Keith helped Maddie to her feet and she pulled the flashlight from her belt and helped to look for her lighter. In a moment they had two torches lit. Keith turned off his flashlight and took the torch from the bracket and lit three more to fully illuminate the room. Fry appeared in the doorway once more.

“Ms. Zayne, I’m sorry to say this, but you need to come out here.” Keith put his arm around Maddie as they made their way into the outer chamber. He lit more torches as they came. Half way across the chamber, Fry was kneeling beside Derek Zayne.

“Madeline?” Derek whispered. Maddie knelt beside the agent and her ex-husband. “You know what’s funny? I never changed my will,” he whispered when she touched his hand. “It’s all yours now. Everything I built. You won’t need this anymore,” he said, reaching for the locket that hung from Maddie’s neck. Grasping it tightly in his hand he pulled, “I know right where you are now.” The chain broke and his hand fell to his chest.

He was no longer breathing. She stood and backed away. Keith caught her as she nearly fell sideways.

“He can’t have my sympathy,” she said quietly. “He never understood. It’s his fault Joey did this.” She looked at the entrance to the cave. Rubble filled the opening. Somewhere under the rubble her brother’s remains lay buried. With all the people he believed were chasing him, it was his own hand that had proven fatal.

“We’re trapped,” Maddie said flatly. “There’s no way out.” She fell to her knees in front of the rubble that blocked the chamber entrance and covered her brother’s body.

“Not necessarily so,” Fry said. He staggered as he stood and Keith steadied him.

“You’re woozy from the blood loss,” Keith said. “There’s water in my pack.” Fry took the offered canteen and moved into the inner chamber. “What are you thinking?” Keith said. He picked the second backpack out of the rubble and dragged behind Fry into the room.

“Look at the shape of this room,” Fry said. “You said it wasn’t big enough to hold all the books. The wall slopes in from the doors, the back wall is flat. I’d say we are only in the foyer.”

“But where is the entry?” Keith said. “Maddie?”

“Could I just have a couple of minutes to deal with my brother blowing himself up?” Maddie yelled at him. “Just a couple of minutes before I have to pretend that I’m all right and here to solve the great puzzle of some ancient practical joker who got us all trapped here.”

“Maddie,” Keith began.

“Just give me a minute!” Keith started toward her, but Fry caught hold of his arm.

“We can wait,” the agent said.

The two began surveying the walls of the room for any sign of a hidden doorway. They were intent on their task and did not hear Maddie re-enter the room. A rock hit the floor outside and both men turned to the doorway. Maddie was scraping the floor with her boot, tossing the larger stones that were in the passage out of the room.

“Maddie, darling, I’m sorry,” Keith said going up to her. She leaned against him for a moment as if to accept the apology and then kept sweeping the floor with her foot.

“You could help,” she said. Keith began scuffing the rubble out of the doorway.

“What are we doing?” he asked.

“We’re getting ready to close the doors,” she said.

“If we close the doors, there is no guarantee that we could ever get out of this chamber and no one would be able to get in without the key,” Keith said. “If Agent Fry’s men come in hunting, they’ll try to dig us out.”

Maddie pulled her grandfather’s key out of her pocket along with the cut leather thong. She re-tied it and hung it from the braided handle.

“There, now they’ll have a key. They’ll figure out how to use it,” she said.

“But why?” Keith asked again.

“Airlock,” Maddie said. “Something my grandfather used to say: ‘You can’t go on until you can’t go back.’ The chamber can only be opened from one side at a time.”

“That’s part of the mantra for the Guardian’s Ritual,” Fry said. “At every stage of the steps, the initiate recites words that roughly translate, ‘the only way out is in.’”

Once the floor was clear, they began sliding the doors back closed. They were completely silent when they opened, but now the gravel grated between the bottom of the doors and the floor.

“Well, here goes,” Keith said and pushed the door into place. Nothing happened. The back of the door was as ornately decorated as the front had been, however, and Keith explored the carving near where the handle was. Three stars crossed the seam, one split between the two panels. Keith grasped both the outer two and tried turning them left then right. They moved and he could hear the locking mechanism drop into place. A moment after the door had sealed, they heard a second hissing. The torches flickered. On the other side of the obelisk, stones in the wall slid aside. They each took a torch, their backpacks, and flashlights and crossed the room to the darkness beyond.


As soon as they crossed through the passage between the chambers they could hear a difference in the echo of their steps. All three shined their flashlights ahead and could see the beams pick out massive pillars on either side. They glowed, ghostly in the dark, even when they turned off their flashlights.

“I think this room would be big enough for your library,” Fry said. His voice echoed in the hollow chamber. As their eyes became more accustomed to the dark, they realized the room was dimly lit. Pillars a yard across and at least 50 feet high stood in rows at least 30 feet apart. The pillars glowed softly. At the end of the central corridor was a colossus figure.

“What are these columns made of?” Keith asked as he approached one and laid his hand on it. Now that their eyes were adjusted to the dim illumination, the three turned off their flashlights. Surprisingly the pillar was not as cold as Keith expected.

“How deep are we?” Maddie asked.

“According to the topo map,” Keith said, “the spring where we entered is about 200 meters lower in elevation than the terraces on the mountain. I couldn’t tell if we gained or lost any elevation in the darkness between the spring and the first doors.”

“Gained,” Maddie and Fry both said at once.

“Drainage,” Fry said. “The entrances slope away from the main pyramid.”

“Pyramid?” Keith and Maddie looked at each other.

“Look at the walls,” Fry said. On all four sides of the square chamber, the walls sloped inward. It’s what gave me the first clue about the entryway. That wall only sloped in one direction.”

“Wait a minute,” Keith said, calculating in his mind. “If this room is about 300 feet in each direction, and we are on the ground floor, that would mean that the top of the pyramid is still 200 feet above us. It’s not as big as the Great Pyramid of Giza, but that’s pretty impressive for an underground structure.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.