The Gutenberg Rubric - Cover

The Gutenberg Rubric

Copyright© 2018 by Wayzgoose

Chapter 21

Keith and Maddie were awake before 8:00 in the morning. It was only an hour time change, but they had slept little the night before. Unfortunately, their stay in the luxury hotel was to be short. Keith called the driver and gave instructions.

“We’ll be ready to depart at 9:30. We need a store that sells mountain gear and cold weather clothing. Can you be ready?” He waited while the driver gave him instructions and then hung up.

“Cold weather clothes and mountain gear?” Maddie asked. “Adana is beautiful and balmy. Where are we going?”

“Northeast into the mountains,” Keith answered, “and our driver is impatient to get started. He says he only wants to drive during daylight hours and it’s at least five hours to our next stop.”

“Can’t we stay here another day?” Maddie asked.

“No, but I have a nice hotel reserved for us tonight,” Keith said. “Maybe we can stop here on our way home.”

“What did you tell the man at the desk last night that got us this incredible suite?” Maddie asked. “Are you suddenly made of money?”

“No,” Keith answered. “I told him we were newlyweds on our honeymoon and could only spend one night here. He did the rest.”

“I like that,” Maddie said, tying her robe and opening her suitcase. She tossed the remaining items from her planned trip to Jamaica onto a chair then pulled out wool slacks and a shirt. “I miss having my cell phone. It’s how I check the time.”

“You can use mine if you need to make a call,” Keith said. “It’s a satellite phone and where we’re going there isn’t much cell coverage.”

“Why did you send our phones to Cairo?” Maddie asked.

“For the same reason I sent Granddad to Cairo,” he said carefully. “The terrorists have been tracking us through some means. It could have been your calls to your brother. It could have been someone inside the Guild. I’m sorry to say, it could have been Granddad. Or maybe they just were tracking our phones. In any case, I had to get rid of anything that might give our location away.”

“You didn’t dump me,” Maddie said flatly. “I haven’t called anyone since we left the country. I don’t even know who I’d call.”

“Maddie,” Keith said softly, “your brother was in Indianapolis when the bomb went off there. We’d just left. And he knew we were coming to Mainz.” Maddie was silent—near defiance. A tear trickled from one eye down her cheek.

“Joey is a good kid,” she said, shaking slightly. “He wouldn’t do anything like that. He’s always afraid someone is chasing him. Maybe he thinks ‘they’ are after me now. Keith, do you think we—I—would do anything to hurt you or a library? Joey read every issue of The Printer’s Devil, just like I did. He should be in the Guild. How could you think that of him? How could you believe I would... ?” The tears flowed freely with the outburst. Her sobs became so violent that she pushed Keith away and rushed to the bathroom. Keith could hear her throwing up. He went to her and wiped her face with a cloth and warm water. He sat down on the marble floor with her and held her in his arms.

“I wasn’t accusing you of anything,” Keith said. “We promised to be honest with each other. Ditching our phones and keeping our destination secret was a condition for getting Agent Fry’s help.”

Both Keith and Maddie were drained by the sudden outpouring of emotion. They sat on the cool tile of the bathroom and held each other. When Maddie spoke, it was scarcely above a whisper.

“I didn’t know my dad was hunting for a hidden treasure at the time. He never told me about it before he died. Aunt Virginia told Joey and me the story just before I left home for college,” she said. “I was born near Cairo during the Egypt-Israeli 7-Day War. My mother was killed in an air raid. Aunt Virginia raised me, but Dad went back to the Middle East—first Iraq and then Iran. That’s where he met and married Lily. He brought her back to the U.S. where Yousef—Joey—was born. He parked them with Aunt Virginia, too. But Dad went back to Iran. He was in the far north of Iran during the revolution in 1980 and was killed as a decadent western infidel. With the hostage situation in Tehran, no one officially even recognized he was missing. Lily’s cousins brought word when they escaped.”

“And you didn’t find any of this out until you went to college?” Keith asked gently, petting her hair and holding her close.

“I knew the basics, but not the why,” Maddie responded. “Dad was following some kind of clues he’d found, but Virginia didn’t know what they were. I asked Errol, but all he would say was that it wasn’t Dad’s to find and I should never think of it again. As Joey reached his teens, though, he became more and more convinced Dad was killed because of the treasure, not because of the revolution. ‘They’ were coming to get us next.”

“I hate to even suggest this,” Keith said, “but do you suppose your father and brother were trying to follow the clues in the Gutenberg manuscript we found?”

“How could they do that?” Maddie asked.

“The page of Guild ritual we found in that manuscript could only have been removed by a third degree master. Errol was the last person before me to undertake the ritual. Of course,” Keith hastened to add before Maddie could respond, “the page could have been removed a hundred years ago. We wouldn’t know without asking your grandfather. But something Frank said has been puzzling me ever since I examined the documents. He said that Errol just disappeared from the Guild after his elevation.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.