The Gutenberg Rubric - Cover

The Gutenberg Rubric

Copyright© 2018 by Wayzgoose

Chapter 17

“Before you even ask, she’s fine,” Derek said into the phone. He knew Yousef would be calling when his plane landed and that his first question would be about Maddie’s safety. “She’s safe and sitting in her hotel room. How about you? Did you have any trouble?”

“I don’t know,” Yousef said. “It was too easy. What if they are following me? It always makes me nervous to travel with my Iranian passport. They wanted to know why I didn’t have any luggage.”

“Relax. There’s no need to worry.”

“Someone must be looking for me. They were at Sophie’s apartment before I left. I know.” Yousef was breathing heavily. If he wasn’t being followed, it was a miracle. He inspired suspicion.

“You thought they were at Sophie’s before you left, Joey,” Derek said. “You thought there was a bomb. But nothing happened, right?”

“I know someone was there,” Yousef answered.

“Now look,” Derek calmed him. “Have you picked up the package I left you?”

“I came to a quiet place to call before I caught a taxi,” Yousef said. “I didn’t want to make a call where anyone might hear me.”

“That’s very smart of you, Joey,” Derek continued to soothe and encourage him. “But you don’t have anything to worry about now. You can check into your hotel, pick up the package, and deliver it to my associates. It’s time to throw a monkey wrench into the works. We’ll have a little diversion in Alexandria and they’ll have to go investigate it while we get to the real treasure. It’s close now, Joey. This is what you wanted all along, isn’t it? You wanted to find the treasure your father died searching for. It’s all going according to plan. I’ll send you the coordinates soon as they move and you can meet us.”

“You ... You’re sure she’s all right?” Yousef asked.

“Absolutely positive. Don’t believe what you read in the papers either. I’m seeding the news the way I want it heard. Now go make the delivery and then get some sleep. You’ve been traveling a long way. You must be exhausted.”

Derek disconnected and dropped his chin to his chest to stretch his neck. Yousef was sometimes a pain in the ass, but he’d brought some of Derek’s greatest treasures to him, including his sister; but it was going to be hard to tell him about Sophie. I should be feeling relieved, Derek thought. She’s gone. But the sudden feeling of emptiness dragged at him. He didn’t realize how much he had come to depend on her to anchor him. How could she be so stupid? The manipulative little whore now had her brains spattered all over Mainz. Well, that couldn’t make much of a mess. Blowing herself up wasn’t in the plan. He’d told her no one was to get hurt. Why would she do this?

He watched the video feed of the event again. The cameras had been hidden the day before, far enough from the museum not to draw attention. But Sophie had not been able to get near enough to the museum/library to set charges. The Germans had buttoned up the area tightly. Sophie had steamed when Derek suggested they set off the decoy in Alexandria. Once she had her head around an idea, nothing would shake it loose. She insisted that he monitor the feed and see how clever she would be about succeeding.

He should have known something was wrong when she kissed him. There was something more extreme in the passion of that kiss than he had experienced from her before. She had used her kisses and her seduction to control him for years, but this was different. She was kissing me goodbye.

At almost any other time of his life, Derek would have welcomed it, but now that bit of initiative on her part could cost him. Joey liked her. Maybe even loved her. She had carefully explained to Derek how important it would be to keep Joey in line and how she intended to go about it. Derek couldn’t believe she’d blown herself up. He watched the recording from the remote camera they planted yesterday. It made him sick. Crap!

Derek had seeded his first news stories before the dust from the explosion had settled. Now it was time to send the messages claiming credit. His lip quivered ever so slightly as he hammered out the words. If Sophie was going to raise the stakes, so was he.

If the books are in accordance with the Tree of Knowledge, they are superfluous, for the Gospel more than suffices. If they contain matter that is not in accordance with Holy Writ, we need no key to their heresies and false prophets. Therefore, burn them all and there will be a great conflagration.

Derek smiled at his deliberate twisting of the words. Someone would figure it out. But they would be too late. It was time to begin the next phase of the plan.

For Sophie.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.