The Gutenberg Rubric
Chapter 13

Copyright© 2018 by Wayzgoose

On the 100th birthday of the Gutenberg Museum, 600 years after the birth of the inventor, the museum opened a new, expanded space and exchanged the old stone façade for one of glass. A sculpture fountain in front of the building was a welcoming sight to Keith and Maddie as they approached. They had met the police contact in the hotel and he preceded them to the museum so they arrived alone. Uniformed police patrolled the central square with muzzled dogs, circling the block and the open square on which the museum was located.

“Nothing subtle about German security, is there?” Maddie asked.

“It’s okay with me,” Keith said. “This place is like home to me and the more secure it is the better. We wouldn’t have risked as much by entering from underground.”

“We could enter from underground?” Maddie asked.

“It’s something that I couldn’t reveal to Fry. I don’t really expect to spend six hours in the few rooms of the museum, though an hour showing off the display to you is certainly in order.”

“Then we are going to the vaults?” Maddie asked.

“In a matter of speaking,” Keith said. “You might call it visiting the catacombs.”

They made eye contact with the police officer assigned to watch the entrance and then proceeded to examine the exhibits that include three copies of the Gutenberg Bible in light-controlled rooms and ultraviolet filtering glass cases. After an hour they reached the Gutenberg workshop where a demonstration of the huge screw-press representative of 15th century printing had just been held. After the room had cleared, Keith took Maddie’s hand and ducked under the rope barrier separating the area from the rest of the museum. In a moment they had slipped behind the painted scenery depicting the print shop and stood before an unmarked door. The door was unlocked and Keith and Maddie stepped through into a stairwell.

“Is this like the stairs in Rolf’s home?” Maddie asked.

“Exactly,” Keith answered. “One of the reasons the museum is as vibrant as it is today is because of the catacombs. In World War II, the museum was actually bombed repeatedly by Allied forces. It is really a maze down here,” he continued. “It connects all the way over to Rolf’s house and down several more levels.” After 15 minutes of twisting through low-ceilinged tunnels, Keith opened another door and Maddie found herself facing Frank and Rolf in the lab.

“That’s amazing!” she said. “You could pop up anywhere.”

“Only if you happened to know that four stories under the city of Mainz there is another city,” Frank said. “I was beginning to wonder if you were showing up this morning.” Keith quickly related events with Agent Fry and how the square was being patrolled. Maddie added that they did not have cell phones as the agent was holding them to prevent calls to unknown parties.

“It is of no concern to us,” Rolf said. “Unless you were followed into the catacombs from the museum, you are far removed from the dangers above.”


“The Black River may mean more than the literal ink,” Maddie insisted. “Maybe it simply means the line of type. The rubric could be just what rubrics have always been, the key to the message, not the message itself.”

“But how do we find the message?” Rolf asked. “We do not know what kind of key it is.”

“What if the rubric is actually a grille,” Maddie said. “There must be some reason it was in the bound copy of the Gospels. If you lay it over the pages of the Gospel and poke holes through the nicks maybe they point to the letters that spell out Gutenberg’s secret.”

“Poke holes in a 500 year old printing?” Dr. Schneider exclaimed. “That’s vandalism!”

“Biblio-terrorism,” Keith said chuckling. “But we don’t have to literally poke holes in the text. We have technology now that Gutenberg didn’t even imagine then.” He called up the pages on the computer screen and created a mask for the image that showed only the position of the nicks. Then he called up a high resolution image of the Bamberg Bible and laid the mask over the first page. He began reading out the letters that were below the mask. The result was gibberish.

“It seems that this could take a long time,” Keith said. “If it is a grille, we don’t know which page of the rubric is first, second, and third. And we don’t know what page of the Bible to lay each page of the grille over. I can write a program that will capture the letters from every page of the Gospels under each page of the grille and read out the results, but it could take a long time.”

“You’ve all spoken of Gutenberg’s other book,” Maddie said. “Where is the reference to that?”

“We don’t have an actual reference to it,” Frank said. “It’s more like a legend that has been handed down through the ages in the Guild, that someday we would find his other book and then we could discover the secret.”

“So we won’t actually know the reference unless we read the whole letter that our fragment came from,” Maddie said. “Can’t we look at it?” Frank looked at her thoughtfully and then nodded his head.

“I confess, I’ve been thinking the same thing,” he said.

“Impossible!” Dr. Schneider exclaimed. “The letter is locked in the strong box and only a third degree master can open that lock.”

“Exactly what I was thinking,” Frank said. “Keith, can you and Madeline set up a program to run the grille. If it takes a long time, we’d better get started. Rolf, would you join me?” The old man rolled his chair behind Frank into the next room.

Maddie pulled up a chair beside where Keith had the image up on screen and was adapting a standard application—commonly used for comparing two versions of documents for authentication purposes—to collect the data beneath the photographic masks that Keith created from the rubric. If the grille was laid over a text document it would be a fairly simple process that wouldn’t take more than a couple of hours to run. But they were dealing with images of printed pages. Each time the grille hit a character, it had to identify the character from its shape. This was fairly well-tested optical character recognition, but there weren’t any plug-ins for German Fraktur-style type. Added to that, there were sometimes three or four similar designs for a given character and the optical character recognition algorithms could be comparing letters for hours. When it was done, there would still be errors that only human eyes could resolve. Maddie was right. Someone needed to look at the whole manuscript and not just the fragment that had been recovered. The only person who could look at the rest of the letter was a third degree master alchemist.

“This was a brilliant idea, Maddie,” Keith said. “What made you think of it?”

“I had a lot of time to think last night while you were talking to Agent Fry,” she said. “I just figured that the most common form of code in the Middle Ages was sending a grille that could be placed over a known text. It seemed like it would work here. How are you feeling?”

“Running on adrenalin,” Keith responded. “It’s probably time to head out of the museum. And now that you mention it, my body’s starting to beg for more painkillers. If I take them down here, I might collapse and go to sleep like I did on the plane. I don’t want to miss something important.”

“I’d wake you for it if it came up,” she said seductively.

“Oh, I certainly hope so,” he said kissing her. They reluctantly broke the kiss and Keith went back to the program.

“Keith, does it make any difference what order you compare the pages in?” Maddie asked.

“Not to the program,” he responded. “I usually start from the front and go forward unless there is a reason to examine a particular part first. Why?”

“I was thinking that we should start with the fourth Gospel.”

“Why?” he asked.

“It just struck me that if we are looking for Gutenberg’s other book, we should start with the Gospel of Johannes.” She looked at him as he turned to stare into her eyes. Then he swept her into another deep and passionate kiss just as Frank and Rolf came back through the door.

“Entschuligen Sie!” Rolf exclaimed when he came through the door. He glanced at Frank who chuckled to himself.

“Herr Doktor!” Keith exclaimed.

“I take it you have found the meaning of the code?” Rolf asked.

“Not yet,” Keith explained. “But my beautiful, charming, and brilliant partner came up with another idea that may help make the process a little shorter.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.