Summer Heat
Chapter 15

Copyright© 2018 by radio_guy

The four of us walked inside together. We were seated at a table and gave our drink orders for tea and a Coke. We looked over our menus.

Our drinks were brought and we placed our orders. We were sitting quietly when a noisy party left from a back room of the restaurant. They apparently drank a good portion of their lunch. As they came through the rest of the restaurant area, I noticed that the group was mostly older men and younger women. All the younger women were dressed scantily, though legally wearing exceptionally short, tight skirts and low-cut or somewhat unbuttoned blouses.

I had gazed that way since I was facing the way they were coming. Just as I looked back at my table from the initial noise, I realized that I recognized one of the women. It was Beth! I stayed low hoping that she wouldn’t see me or remember me. Dad had looked up, too. I saw his eyes widen as he also recognized Beth. He looked back down also.

Suddenly, Beth changed direction and came toward our table. I braced. Beth said, “Hello, Gerald.”

“Hello, Beth. I hope you’re doing well.”

“Quite good. My company was having a little party to celebrate a great sales month.” She leaned forward exposing her breasts to me and my father.

I said, “Beth, have a good time then. I hope you continue to do well.”

She shrugged and stumbled a little. She looked at me a moment and then went on her way staggering a little bit. I hope no one would be in her way when she drove unless she sobered up first.

After she left the building, Rachel looked at me. I said, “Beth was a former co-worker who I dated for a short time. We both were accused of being together and terminated. We went to work for separate companies. I hadn’t seen her in a few weeks when I met you. It had taught me two lessons. The first is not to date or be involved with someone who works with me. The second is not to date or be involved with someone who isn’t a Christian. I found that non-Christians live differently from the way I am willing to live.”

“Gerald, you seem to have left a trail of women.”

“Only one and a half other than Beth. I had dated Alicia. She broke up with me for someone else. Delores knew me from high school. I had asked her out a few times but was always turned down. She was never open to going with me but seemed to resent me being with any female. That’s the sordid story of my many women.”

“I guess that’s not too many.” She grinned.

We had finished our meals and walked out to my truck while my parents left for their house. We headed for the apartment.

I looked at her. “What about you? How many broken hearts have you left strewn in your path?”

Rachel blushed. “Me? None. I’ve never dated because my parents wouldn’t permit me to date anyone who asked. If Matt hadn’t set us up, I probably wouldn’t be with you now.” She grinned. “I do enjoy being with you. Your parents make me feel good. You make me feel good about who I am.”

“You are worthy of feeling good.”

“Gerald, sit down, please. I want to change clothes.”

“I could follow you in to your room and help.”

“Gerald, you would hinder and I would assist you. Stay here.” I sat down and waited. It wasn’t long before she came out wearing tight shorts and a halter top.

I whistled. “You look great again.”

“Would you walk with me, Gerald?”

“Gladly.” I had stood when she walked in the room. She took my hand and we walked outside. We walked in the bright sunshine enjoying each other’s presence. Neither of us apparently knew anyone in the complex and didn’t worry about that.

Rachel said, “Gerald, I get the sense that Beth’s presence disturbed you?”

“Yes, it did. Our relationship was short, though intense. She was starting to come to church and then left for a two-week training in California. She went off the deep end and quit communicating while she was there. Apparently, there was a lot of drinking and sex which has spilled into her situation here. We didn’t last long enough for me to know that for a fact.”

I shrugged. “She brought back a story of excesses suggesting she had been unwilling. She did make the decision not to communicate which ended things with us. After she had returned, she came to my parents’ house and apologized. I was already done. I forgave her actions but wasn’t anxious to put together a relationship again. She really wasn’t interested either.

“Rachel, I know I’m different from the current morality but it is who I am. I think that’s why I was a loser with Alicia, too. I hope you will tolerate me. I’m enjoying being with you.”

“Gerald, you’re quite easy to tolerate. I enjoy being with you, too. I’m glad that I finally moved out from my parents’ house. That had been building since Matt married. Your presence made it easier to contemplate. I’m not regretting it.” She hugged my arm as we walked on the sidewalk of the complex. It was enjoyable and comfortable. It was getting dark when we returned to the apartment. Matt and Irene were back. They had just returned.

When we walked in, Irene giggled and said, “Did you two enjoy yourselves with no one to watch over you?”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.