Summer Heat - Cover

Summer Heat

Copyright© 2018 by radio_guy

Chapter 12

We motored off. I followed her instructions to her church and parked in the lot. I got out with my Bible and went around to help her out. She had her Bible also. She took my hand and we walked into the building with me following her guidance into a Sunday school class. There were four others there, three girls and a guy. Rachel was the best looking of the four of them. The one guy saw me holding Rachel’s hand and gave me a dirty look.

Rachel said, “Good morning, everyone. I want you to meet Gerald Addison who works with my brother.” I received polite greetings from the three girls and a barely polite one from the guy. I decided there was a story there or that he wanted there to have been one. The teacher entered. He was an older man in his fifties and class started.

It was a straight Bible study of Romans. I was comfortable with it. I was the only one who wasn’t using a King James version Bible but didn’t mind. The teacher didn’t have any of us read from our Bibles. I just followed along in mine. He closed us with prayer.

We talked a little bit with other members and the teacher. The other guy had left quickly. Soon, Rachel pulled me away to head for the sanctuary. She had grabbed my hand and kept her hold on it. I didn’t mind at all. We entered the sanctuary and sat next to her parents. I was introduced to them as just Mister and Missus Stevenson. I shook hands with her father. We all sat down and I said a quiet prayer for the service. Rachel was still holding my hand.

The piano started a prelude though there was no program given to anyone. We stood as directed for the first hymn which had the words projected onto the wall in front. After it was finished and we sat down, there was an opening prayer. The leader called for visitor introductions. Rachel stood gently pulling me upright. “Friends, I want to introduce Gerald Addison, a friend of my brother who is now a friend of mine. He is a visitor to this church from his own.”

I was welcomed by the leader. I saw a number of evaluating looks, particularly from women. A few guys looked but they weren’t really interested in me. I didn’t blame them. I liked looking at Rachel.

I was comfortable with the service except that Rachel whispered that I couldn’t take communion unless I was a member of the church. I whispered back that she could take communion at my church and would be welcome to do that. She looked thoughtful. She didn’t go up for communion either.

When the service was over, I followed Rachel’s parents in their car to the house. We arrived and Rachel held my hand as we walked inside. Her mother said, “Rachel, you’re holding hands with him!”

“Yes, mother. Gerald is a nice man with a good hand. It makes it easier to know where he is.” She grinned. I smiled but kept my mouth shut.

Her father said, “Rachel, you didn’t take communion this morning.”

“That’s correct, father. At our church just like at the Catholic churches, people who aren’t members are not allowed to come forward. Gerald is a good Christian man. I decided not to have him sit there lonely because of a stupid rule.”

“Rachel, it’s to be sure that communicants are Christians.”

“Dad, that’s what the Catholics say, too.”

He looked at me. “Gerald, what religion are you?”

I immediately answered, “Christian, sir. I am a member of Oak Hills United Methodist Church attending with my parents.”

Rachel smiled at that. My guess was that she had this argument with her father regularly. I was on her side but was trying not to be overly involved. It was a matter of belief and I didn’t think logic would interfere with Mister Stevenson’s ideas. Fortunately, he let it drop.

Rachel released my hand to go into the kitchen. She returned moments later to announce that, “Dinner was ready.” Her father headed to the dining room that I could see. I went into the kitchen behind Rachel.

I said, “Is there anything I can carry into the dining room?”

Rachel smiled. She also handed me a bowl of mashed potatoes. “They go on the pad to Dad’s left.” I nodded and carried them out. Rachel and her mother carried the rest. We sat down to a long prayer. All of us responded with an “amen.” After serving plates, we ate. The food was quite good and I complimented Missus Stevenson.

Rachel smiled at that. I wasn’t sure about her parents but Rachel seemed happy with me. If her parents at least were neutral, I figured to be satisfied. I realized that I wanted Rachel’s good opinion.

After lunch, we retired to the living room and her father turned on the Nascar race. I had lost interest in those races when the stages were introduced. The changes in points had lost me and cutting the race into three pieces completed the process. I enjoyed the beginning. Rachel and her mother joined us. Rachel sat beside me on the couch quite closely. “Car racing,” she said. “Take me somewhere Gerald.”

I smiled. “Of course. Would you like to walk or ride?”

“Yes. Let’s go to the square and walk around.” I nodded. “I want to change a bit. Lose the coat and tie.” I nodded again.

She left returning in about five minutes wearing shorts with a pretty blouse and sneakers. I stood as she entered.

“Mister and Missus Stevenson, I enjoyed church and dinner. Thank you.” I walked over to Rachel and took her hand. She led me out and to my truck. I opened the door for her and let her get seated.

I went around and got in after removing my coat and tie. I put them in back of the cab. “Well. Did I pass?”

Rachel gave a tiny grimace. “With my dad, barely. Mom likes you. I like you, too. You’ve done better than anyone Matt or I have ever brought home. Dad still doesn’t like Irene.” I was a bit surprised because Irene was pretty and pleasant. She and Matt seemed to be very happy together.

Rachel explained, “Irene took Matt away to her Baptist church where they go now. Dad doesn’t like that since the church we attend is quite conservatively backward. When I move out of the house, I will leave that church for Matt and Irene’s. Dad will really not like that but his church is shrinking because they don’t really love even their own members unless they faithfully toe the line.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.