Summer Heat - Cover

Summer Heat

Copyright© 2018 by radio_guy

Chapter 11

Next week, I joined my parents for Wednesday night supper as was my habit and saw Delores who sat with her family across from us again. She talked and was friendly. She didn’t ask about Beth. I didn’t offer any information.

After church, we went home and, later, to bed. I finished the week out and helped my parents around the house Saturday. On Sunday, we went to Sunday school and church. We left for home and lunch.

I went in to work Monday. One of my new co-workers, Matt, was talking with me at break. He said, “I have a sister about your age, Gerald. She’s a school teacher and a nice girl. I’d like you to meet her. We’re church-goers and she won’t date someone who isn’t a Christian. I’ve hung around with you here enough to feel comfortable with you and about you. Why don’t you follow me home Friday? My wife and I will have her over. At worst, you’ll get a good meal.”

“Matt, I guess so. I’m two for two with girls who aren’t Christians and have decided not to date another. Your sister sounds okay. What’s her name?”

“Her name is Rachel. She’s my sister but I think she’s pretty. Irene has told me that, too. Let’s just see what happens. You two might hit it off.”

I nodded. Later in the week, Matt confirmed Friday with me saying that his wife was looking forward to meeting me. He admitted that his sister was going to be there but wasn’t so sure about it. I told him I understood since I wasn’t either. He said that we would watch the Braves play on TV after supper so would have that activity as a buffer. I smiled, “I think you have us both protected.”

Friday came and I followed Matt to his apartment in my truck.

Once there, I met Irene, Matt’s wife, a very nice, moderately attractive woman. Like Matt, she was a few years older than I. Just after I had shaken hands and talked with Irene, Rachel knocked on the door. Matt opened the door and hugged her tightly. He handed her to Irene for another hug. Irene then introduced us. I was surprised. Matt was a reasonably nice-looking guy but Rachel was spectacular! Blond and blue-eyed, she was just taller than average with a fantastic figure. She was wearing slacks having come from her school. I tried not to stammer while we talked. To my complete shock, she seemed unaware of her looks. We talked and started to get to know each other while Matt helped Irene complete the supper preparations.

She had a beautiful voice. “Gerald, what do you do for a living?”

“I work with Matt in Marketing. I started a few weeks ago. So far, so good.

“Matt said you are a teacher?”

“Yes, I teach middle school English. It’s interesting because they don’t think they know everything yet. However, they are full of hormones.”

I smiled. ‘I can understand. If more of my teachers looked like you, I might have paid better attention.”

She blushed. I asked, “Do you like to walk or run?”

She was a little surprised. “I enjoy both. I like to walk and look at nature. For exercise, I run. I used to run cross country when I was in school.”

I chuckled. “I like to walk, too. I don’t run much now though I did some distance running in high school and early college. I also hunt and fish when there’s time. Actually, I have more time since I finally finished school and don’t work a part-time job in addition to class and study time. It’s nice to just have one time of that type taking my time.”

She asked, “Do you go to a church?”

“Yes, I’m Methodist. Our church has a Wednesday night supper and Bible study and then services on Sunday. I enjoy both.”

She looked satisfied. “I’m Baptist.”

I grinned. “I’ve heard that a Methodist is just a Baptist who’s afraid of water.” We laughed.

“Rachel, would you join me for Sunday school and church on Sunday?”

“I may ask you to mine in retaliation.”

“That’s a threat I believe I can handle. I’ll pick you up Sunday morning. My parents would love to have you join us for lunch also.”

“We could do that. After all, you’ll have me trapped.”

“Rachel, I wouldn’t want to have trapped you. I don’t think in terms of victims.”

“No, I don’t guess you would. My brother says you’re a nice guy. I’ll trust you. Remind me and I’ll give you my address before the evening ends.”

Irene said, “It’s dinner time. Please, come to the table.”

Matt and Irene’s apartment were an open style so there were no really closed off areas with the dining, kitchen, and living areas encompassing one large area separated by furniture. Also, I’m sure they were listening to us talk.

I seated Rachel at the table where we were directed. Matt offered a quick prayer and we ate. The food was quite good.

After dinner, there was a light desert with coffee. Rachel would talk but was somewhat shy. I realized with a slight shock that she didn’t know how stunningly beautiful she was. It wasn’t easy to bring her out though she would answer questions that didn’t get too personal. I got her talking about the classes she taught and the subject matter. That worked. She loved to read and that passion came out when she talked about some authors and books. Fortunately, I have always liked to read and knew some of the “classics” that she loved. However, I cautioned her that I hadn’t studied them in detail.

My reading had followed more standard lines with spy novels and action novels rather than the classics. I had also spent considerable time studying my Bible over the years.

Once on that safer footing, we got into a true discussion. I found that she was a student of the New Testament but wasn’t as strong a student of the Old Testament. In high school, my Sunday school class had really studied Proverbs and Psalms. I was comfortable and could even quote passages in those books. As Rachel and I talked, I realized that Matt and Irene were avid listeners. The TV was on but was being ignored. Rachel and I differed on our understanding of wisdom as written in Proverbs with me seeing it as both literal and spiritual while she saw it as only spiritual. We debated with each other on that subject until I finally said, “Rachel, I understand your point. I’m just not willing to limit the Word of God to that interpretation.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.