Summer Heat
Chapter 10

Copyright© 2018 by radio_guy

Beth was talking to my parents and crying as she did.

When I walked in the door, she jumped up from the sofa and ran into my arms sobbing. Mom quickly took Dad into the kitchen leaving us alone in the living room. I gently pulled Beth’s arms from around my neck and walked us to the sofa and sat us down.

I said, “Why now?”

She said, “I screwed up and I was so ashamed that I couldn’t handle talking to you or seeing you. Then I realized that I was making things worse by not seeing you and taking blame for what happened.” She was sobbing again. I held both her hands in mine and let her cry.

“Gerald, I let the world take my mind away from my heart. I’m so sorry. I’m so very sorry.”

“Beth, why don’t you explain what happened from Tuesday morning when you were picked up.”

“I-I was told that I could get a limo to the airport. I ordered the limo from the same company that I have used before. It picked me up and then, at the office, stopped to pick up Madison. Her boyfriend dropped her off. She was just standing there next to her case looking forlorn when we drove up. He had already left. The driver got her suitcase and put it in the trunk. He drove us to the airport. We went through security and got on the plane. Madison cried twice before the plane even took off.

“When we arrived, we were met by a company car. Our cases were loaded and we were driven to the hotel. We checked in and took our cases to our room. We left them there without unpacking. We had to go to the first event which was a welcome party. I managed to make a lunch on the munchies. All the drinks were alcoholic. I did manage to get the bartender to make me a screwdriver with just a touch of vodka. Not only were senior executives there but many from the headquarters branch. They were taking advantage of the free food and booze, mostly the booze.

“After the welcome finally ended, most of the people went back to the office in buses. We went into a large conference room to start our first seminar. Most everyone was drunk from booze and almost no food. It wasn’t good.

“Two hours later, we had a half hour break and I went to the room to lie down for a moment. I texted you then. Fortunately, I dressed for the flight because I had read the schedule and knew there might not be enough time to change. Madison used the time to change from her jeans and tee shirt into something more business-like. She was also sobering up. She called her guy, Mason. She had made a big thing of how the names, Madison and Mason, went together so well.

“We went back to the conference room for another hour and a half until five local time. We then had an hour and a half before a pre-dinner cocktail party followed by a dinner. It was bad again. The same group was back again and drinking heavily.

“Before the dinner, most were bombed. I was pawed twice. One made the mistake of doing it privately and I hit him. Gerald, I have a black belt in Taekwondo. I knocked him out. Fortunately, he wasn’t a senior guy and isn’t even in marketing.

“We went into the dinner. Madison was seated at my table with four other newbies also from elsewhere than the home office. Madison and one guy were falling down drunk. Neither of them ate much. There was another cocktail party afterward but I convinced Madison to come back to the room with me. I had to help her. She got sick in the bathroom. I made her clean up and clean up the mess in the bathroom. We finally got to bed. I slept poorly but did sleep.

“In the morning, there was a breakfast buffet with bloody Mary’s and the like. I got coffee and had to stop the serving person from putting whiskey in it. Other than that, it was eggs and hash browns. I would have killed for bacon but there was none. It was vegetarian! We went into the conference room for a morning seminar that was somewhat useful.

“Lunch was served and I managed some fish. Booze was everywhere again. After lunch, we went golfing on the hotel’s course. I didn’t have my clubs or shoes but performed passably. My partners were all from the marketing department. They even stayed fairly sober until we finished playing. My score was second best of the four of us. The two high scores were just marketing types from the headquarters group. I found that I’m a little bit senior to them.

“We then had cocktails until supper which was chicken. More drunken people including Madison who kept telling me how she was missing Mason until she met a guy there named Mason. She was all over him.

“I was distracted and upset. I was lost. I missed you, yet was ashamed of what was happening around me and that I didn’t object at all. By Thursday, Madison moved out of my room and into that of Mason. His roommate wanted to move into my room but I wouldn’t permit it. On Saturday, I didn’t go with everyone on a trip but stayed at the hotel. I wore my suit to the pool and just made it out without someone getting it off me. Gerald, why didn’t I make a fuss? This was sexual harassment. I wanted to go home. Sunday, it was quieter.

“Monday, I took an Uber to the company’s offices and talked to HR. I explained what I saw happening and how upset I was about it and my contemplated role in the events. I explained that I wanted out. The head of HR talked with me saying it couldn’t be that bad because everyone there was a consenting adult. I said that I wasn’t. He agreed to go with me back to the hotel. Once there, the afternoon cocktail party was in full swing. I declined a drink getting a non-alcoholic pina colada from the bartender. I think someone put something in it because I passed out.

“Gerald, they have pictures of me! After that no one bothered me. I flew back. On Monday, I went to the office to quit. I was told that I had received a disappointed report on me from the training group as well as HR. I was threatened if I made trouble. I still quit. My stuff, what little there was, is in my car. Madison never even came back to Atlanta.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.