Summer Heat
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2018 by radio_guy

“Would you like coffee with your cobbler?”

“Please.” She headed for the kitchen and I followed her to help. Once inside the kitchen, she turned and came into my arms. We kissed for a long, endless time before doing anything else.

To my surprise, the cobbler was warm. Beth smiled. I asked Marie to leave it warming in the oven.”

The cobbler was very good. Once it was eaten, we moved with our refreshed coffees to the living room and sat together on the couch. “Gerald, I want to go with you tomorrow morning. You need to plan on my presence. I want to be with you and have you with me as much as you’re willing.”

“Then, that will be a lot, Beth. I’ve enjoyed today. I look forward to you going with me tomorrow and worshipping God and thanking Him for your presence.”

“I understand, Gerald. I want to thank God for your presence and to get to know Him better. I want to get to know you better, too. I’ve enjoyed everything about you and have found much about you to emulate.”

We pulled at each other to embrace and kiss. When we finally came up for air, Beth said, “It’s time for you to go home. What time will you pick me up?”

I said, “From here, fifteen minutes to the church. With Sunday school starting at nine forty-five, we’ll need to leave here at nine thirty.”

She smiled. I’ll be ready to go then. If you want to show up at eight thirty, I’ll feed you breakfast.”

“I’ll be here. You make a good breakfast. There are other reasons, too.”

“Until then, dear man.”

I kissed her for a long time. The trip home wasn’t memorable. I slept soundly but woke in plenty of time to dress and drive to her house for breakfast. I told my parents what was happening.

She met me at the door with a kiss wearing a demure dress. It was just above her knees and was fuller cut. She still looked great. She gave me a quiet smile. “I thought this dress would be more appropriate for church.”

I grinned. “It is more conservative.” I followed her into the kitchen where she had breakfast things laid out. She finished cooking breakfast, I prayed, and we ate.

We finished our meal and Beth quickly cleaned up. She looked at me. “Marie is off on Sunday and Monday. I try not to make a mess for her to clean on Tuesday.”

We left in my truck meeting my parents as we went inside for Sunday school. I led her to the college and young adult class. I introduced her to the class without explanation. It was a good lesson well taught by the couple who led the group. When the class was over, we met my parents and walked to the Sanctuary. We held hands. Beth’s good looks attracted attention and two dirty looks from Alicia, who was with her parents and her new guy, and from Delores, who was also with her parents. Alicia’s new guy seemed to think Beth was great looking. I agreed though didn’t speak to him or to Alicia.

I kept quiet about that and we sat quietly with my folks. When it was time to introduce guests, I introduced her again without explanation. We enjoyed the service and I noticed that she participated more than before. She had a good singing voice and could apparently read music allowing her to be a quick study. She was sitting between me and my Mom. Mom whispered to her. Beth smiled and whispered to me, “Your mother invited me to lunch. Is that okay?”

“Very.” She squeezed my arm and whispered to Mom. Mom looked at me and smiled. When the service was over, we were greeted by many. Beth pulled us over to the pastor and asked, “I’m curious. What is the procedure for becoming a Christian and joining the church?”

Pastor Ben was a little shocked but said, “It’s a heart matter. Gerald can explain it to you. His dad and mom can help him if he becomes tongue-tied.”

She smiled. “Gerald has been a good explainer thus far. I appreciate having him around.” He shook her hand and we headed toward my truck. We got in and left for my house. Once there, Mom gave each of us a hug. Dad gave Beth a hug. He grinned at me.

Obviously, they had heard Beth’s talk with Pastor Ben. Mom said, “Beth, would you help me with lunch?”

“Sure.” They left for the kitchen.

Dad looked at me. “Son, that was some pretty high praise from that young lady. Don’t let it go to your head. You still can’t walk on water.”

“I know. Dad, we were pushed together so at work that we either had to get along or explode. I think we’re well on our way to becoming a couple. The fact that she wants to become a Christian is very promising. We still have a way to go but God seems to be providing a path.”

“What will be the company’s attitude about you two dating?”

I said, “There is a policy against fraternalizing though it also said waivers could be granted and not withheld unreasonably. I hope there won’t be a problem. An antagonistic position would not be good for continuing with any hope of a career there.”

“There are other companies.”

“I know, Dad.”

Moments later, a smiling Beth called us into the dining room for lunch. We all sat down and Beth asked, “May I pray?”

Dad nodded. Beth looked at me. Startled, I nodded. She said, “God, thank you for Gerald and his parents. Thank you for providing them to show me what a Christian looks like and how one lives. Bless this food and our time together. In Jesus’ name, Amen.” We echoed her amen with our own.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.