Summer Heat
Chapter 4

Copyright© 2018 by radio_guy

I nodded and followed her inside. She had to disarm the alarm and then we sat down. The house was beautiful looking like it could be in a magazine.

“Beth, this place is gorgeous.”

She gave a sad smile. “If you have enough money, you hire an interior decorator and turn her loose. Then, you have a cleaning service come in regularly. When you do, it looks like this. Gerald, it is truly nothing. This is only the second time there have been people in this room.”

She shrugged. “It’s said that money can’t buy happiness. It does, however, make loneliness more bearable. I never really had friends in school. I’ve got all the toys I want.” She looked at me with tears in her eyes. “I can’t buy friends and have never tried. Gerald, I need friends.”

“Beth, you’ve got a good start. People at work like you and people at church do, too. I like you. I consider you a friend.”

She grabbed me and held me tightly. It wasn’t sexual or romantic but more just emotional. I could tell she hadn’t had people close in her life. I just held her gently as she got her emotions under control. She straightened gradually and then sat on the sofa. She patted the cushion next to her for me to sit. I did.

“Thank you, Gerald.”

“I didn’t do anything, Beth. I just stood here.”

“Sometimes, that’s a lot.”

After a moment, she asked, “Do you play golf?” I nodded a bit surprised. “Would you go golfing with me Saturday. I can get a tee time at the club for us. It’s a good course and I’ll get to play with someone who I know.”

I thought for a second. “Yes, I’ll go with you. I’m not really good but enjoy getting out.”

She smiled. “It will be fun to see you do something that you aren’t good at.”

“Huh? What do you mean?”

“Gerald, you are one of the most competent individuals I have ever met. Everything I have seen you do, you have done very well. Everyone likes you. At the plant, you had talked with management who had nice things to say to me and who, because of your lead-in, were open to me. You met with the guys in the plant. I managed to talk with a few of them when you went to the restroom. They like you and trust you. You are a very impressive guy. What’s more, you do it naturally.”

“I try to treat other people the way I would want to be treated. It’s called the Golden Rule. Besides most people are interesting and sharp in their own way. I’ve learned a lot by listening. I think that when people know you care, they are freed to care also.”

Beth had tears in her eyes. “Gerald, that’s you and people react to you. You’re also very smart and don’t have an ego about it. I noticed in meetings that you didn’t hog the proceedings and were very willing to give credit to all retaining none for yourself. You are hard to resist.” She turned toward me and kissed my lips hard. “If you don’t want me around, you’ll just have to fight me off.”

“I’m not much of a fighter, Beth.”

“Good.” She kissed me again. It wasn’t quite as much a surprise and I kissed her back. I think we both enjoyed that kiss. I know I did!

I could also tell that it was going to go too far. I stood. “I look forward to tomorrow, Beth.”

“I look forward to a lot, Gerald. I guess it’s time for you to go home.” She grinned at me. “Just for you to think about it, I’ll be wearing short shorts Saturday.”

I thought about it and smiled. I kissed her good night. That was good. I drove home happy and slept the night through.

In the morning, I woke up and arrived at my usual early hour at the office. A few minutes later, Beth walked in with her coffee. “Are we ready to finish the week, Gerald?”

I smiled. “Yes, Beth. It’s been a good week.”

“Yes, it has. I’m looking forward to the weekend.”

We were hard a work on our report when Jack came in later. We were sitting at Beth’s computer though I was at the keyboard at this point typing. Jack said, “It’s good to see you two are still getting along. Let me know when you have something more to show.”

Beth looked up. “We’ve got most of the report fleshed out. We’ll be working on the multi-media presentation next. It will be Monday around noon or later before it’s ready.” He nodded.

We worked to lunch. “It’s time for lunch, Gerald. Let’s go to Mabel’s.” I nodded.

Jack looked over and asked, “May I join you for lunch?”

Beth said, “Sure. We’re going to Mabel’s.”

Jack said, “I’ve heard of it but never eaten there.”

“Gerald introduced me to it. The food is great if you like country cooking.” Jack nodded.

We went outside and I wondered how three could fit in my truck. Beth said, “Gerald, I don’t think three will fit well in your truck.”

Jack said, “I have an SUV. Why don’t I drive?” We both nodded. I was relieved and I think Beth might have been not to shoehorn us into her Benz. I opened the front passenger door for Beth and waved her inside. She looked a bit surprised but got in. I got in the back seat. Jack drove following Beth’s instructions.

We pulled into the parking lot and went inside. I held the door for Beth and seated her at our table. We went over the menus though I knew what I wanted. Jack looked through the menu and then said, “Gerald, what do you recommend?”

“Fried chicken, collard greens, fried green tomatoes, and corn bread. I get unsweetened tea but that’s my only difference from a good southern meal.”

Beth nodded. “Gerald, order that for me, please, including the tea.”

Jack said, “That sounds good. Gerald, make it three.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.