Summer Heat
Chapter 2

Copyright© 2018 by radio_guy

We sat down. He said, “Okay, what’re your questions?”

I looked at Beth who looked back at me. I asked, “Why us?”

“What do you mean?”

I said, “Jack, this is a major project with long-term implications for the company. The initial report wasn’t produced internally. Why have it internal now and, even more, why use two newbies?”

He chuckled. “You’re suspicious, Gerald. That’s not a bad thing. There was some question in the minds of upper executives about using two ‘newbies’ as you put it in what may become a major initiative. The outside company is preparing a report similar to you two. My boss and I have wanted to move this work inside for a while but didn’t have the resources. Your training is such that you can produce the report and then, even better, follow it up.”

I said, “What if we point in a different direction from the outside company’s recommendations?”

“Then, the three of us will have to talk and may get my boss involved. We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.”

I said, “Okay. When is the company planning to actually produce the new product?”

“Once the marketing plan is in place, production can start within thirty days.”

Beth now found her voice. “Do you just want a written report or should we prepare a multi-media presentation?”

“Written for now. The multi-media part will be later when the initial approach is approved and timing is set. Our senior executives like to see paper and numbers on plans.”

Beth said, “Okay. I think we can get started with some realistic hope of producing a plan that will work.” Jack nodded and left us in the conference room.

We read through the afternoon with both of us taking notes. At the end of the day, everyone was leaving and we left also. Beth got in her MB and put the top down to let the fresh air in. I got in my truck and opened the windows to let the fresh air in. I thought that, at least it had power windows.

I arrived home to sit with my parents and answer questions about my day. I admitted to having lunch with a co-worker at the country club. My parents started a bit at that knowing that type of life wasn’t my style. I said, “Next time, we’ll go to Mabel’s and get some good country cooking. I don’t believe Beth has ever had collard greens and cornbread nor fried green tomatoes.”

My parents looked more interested until I said, “She’s a total rich girl and never had to work for anything. She’s smart and pretty but has no faith and doesn’t really live. I’m afraid this job is just a game to her.” I looked at them both. “I do not plan to date her. Other than work, we have nothing in common including faith.” My dad nodded. I think my mom had hoped for more. I just hoped Beth would pull her share of the workload.

The rest of the week progressed reasonably well. Beth pulled her share of the workload and demonstrated she knew her marketing. She also showed she had no practical experience. That area devolved to me. I made two trips, one to the factory floor to talk to the workers. Beth went with me and talked with the management which suited me. On the floor, I learned that there would be some real engineering issues in producing the new product along with some expensive retooling. I even got an estimate on that cost and lead time. The other trip I made on my own to a customer site to watch people shop and follow up on the outside company’s report of interest.

On the Tuesday, the second of work, we went to Mabel’s in my truck. Beth didn’t particularly like my truck but did like Mabel’s. I knew I would. Wednesday found us at our factory floor and I ate with the workers in the cafetoria. Beth ate in the lunchroom with supervisory people.

We compared notes on our trip back to our office. She was in a bit of shock since the management people had told her nothing of the problem with tooling. I had heard that the managers wanted the new product and weren’t telling the entire truth about the situation that would occur when or if this was a go.

Friday came and I went home. I avoided lunch with Beth politely. She mentioned that she had a reception to attend this evening. I just acknowledged her statement. Dad and I were going bank fishing at a local pond.

We had fun and caught fish. We brought five home. I cleaned them while Dad told Mom that our efforts were successful. We had fried fish, hush puppies, Cole slaw, and fries. We ate until it hurt good. We watched the end of the Braves game and went to bed happily full of food.

Saturday, I helped my parents around the house including mowing the yard. Sunday was church and then Nascar. I went into work rested and happy. Beth came in unhappy. She had been accosted by a drunk at the reception who tore her dress. She didn’t ask about my weekend and I didn’t volunteer.

I was sympathetic about her Friday evening while we started the first draft of our report. It contained my time at a customer’s location and findings from there which were more positive than the marketing company’s prediction. It also went over the manufacturing time and cost to get set for production. The result was still a recommendation since demand would be higher to allow more production once started. We then had to plan a marketing campaign. We put together an outline for that and brought a print-out to Jack on Wednesday. He was impressed.

We left it with him in the late afternoon. Beth invited me to have a celebratory drink at a nice restaurant that had a bar. I agreed reluctantly. We drove separately.

Once there, I walked to her car and held the door for her. She said, “Gerald, would you dine with me? I really don’t want to eat alone.”

“Let me call home.” I pulled my old phone out and called the house. Mom answered and said they were going to church for the potluck dinner. I told her I would meet her there or would stick with Beth at her request. Mom was fine with that.

I said, “Let’s go have a drink. We can eat here or I can offer two options.” We went inside. Once seated at the bar, she ordered a martini and I ordered a beer. We were served.

I said, “The two options I have thought about are at Mabel’s or at our church. Our church is having a potluck supper. The ladies are very good. You will meet my parents there since they were going anyway. Mabel’s supper is similar to lunch with table cloths added for the tables.”

I had noticed all day that she was wearing a very short skirt. I tried not to ogle over much though others in the office didn’t make any attempt to not watch her sleek legs. Here, she was noticed. At either of my two options, she would be subject to stares also. After all, a very good-looking girl in a very short skirt was rare at either place. This was the first time she had worn a skirt to work.

She gave me a quiet smile. “Gerald, I’ve never been in a church before or had a potluck dinner.”

“Well, churches aren’t weird. At least, ours is not. A potluck dinner is a meal where the attendees all fix something and place the offerings on a long table. People take a plate and go down the table taking as much of what they want and then go sit in groups at tables. After a good meal, there will be a short devotion given by our pastor.

“You will be noticed. You’re young, pretty, and well-dressed. Also, you’ll be with me which has not happened lately.

“Mable’s. you know. You’ll be noticed there though my presence won’t matter. If Billy is there, I’ll talk to him so he won’t say anything impolite.”

She sipped her drink thinking. After a moment, she said, “Hopefully, my dress isn’t too short. I wore it to get your attention but you hadn’t seemed to notice. I was beginning to think you don’t like me.” She left that hanging obviously waiting for me to make some statement relating to hers.

“Beth, it’s a bit complicated. I like you fine as a person. I’ve never had any relationship from work and am not sure that is a good idea now. My parents have always told me that I shouldn’t date someone I wouldn’t marry. I’ve thought about that over the years and found I agree with them though, perhaps, not for the same reason as they have.”

I had stopped. Beth quickly said, “You have to explain further. That wouldn’t be right. I want to know the reasoning behind that thinking.”

“Okay. We come from two very different social backgrounds. Your family is rich, very rich, and mine isn’t. I think we have vastly different ideas about money and how to handle it. Also, you aren’t a Christian. After dating Alicia, I vowed never to date a girl who wasn’t a Christian. That is a wider gap than money.”

Beth looked shocked. I don’t think she had ever experienced rejection before. I’m sure she usually had a number of guys who wanted to take advantage of her money. To my surprise, she said in a low, quiet voice, “I would like to go to your church for a meal.” More confidently, she said, “Do we drive, you drive, or I drive?”

I said, “I can follow you to your place and then I’ll drive. Alternatively, we can drive.”

She smiled quietly, “Follow me and I’ll ride with you. Should I change into a longer skirt while there?”

I grinned. “That’s up to you. I think you have fine legs.”

She grinned back. “So, I’ll just bare it.”

“Ugh.” We finished our drinks and left. I followed her to a gated community where she had a short conversation before proceeding. I continued to follow her to a nice house. She pulled into the garage and watched her get out. She stepped out of the garage as the door closed. I closed my mouth and managed to get around to open the passenger door for her.

She stepped into my truck. I went around and backed out leaving the community the same way that I had entered it. From that point, I knew where I was and where I was going. “I thought you didn’t care for riding in my truck.”

“It’s tolerable.” She grinned.

I gave her a slight smile and continued driving. In ten minutes, we arrived at the church parking lot. I parked and went around to hand her out. I got to see an amazing expanse of leg! I shut the door and waved her toward our fellowship hall. She smiled and took my hand. We walked inside holding hands.

There was still some line when we walked inside. We got in it to a buzz. Beth’s looks had been noticed as had the fact that she was holding my hand. I could tell she was nervous and maybe even a bit scared. It was a room full of new people. After her admission that she had never been in a church, I also figured that might have something to do with the tight hold on my hand. I handed her a paper plate with plastic silverware. She had to release my hand to hold them. We went down the line with her close to me. I explained a few dishes. I seated her across from my parents.

“Beth, these are my parents, Gerry and Naomi Addison. Mom, Dad, this is Beth Monroe, my co-worker.” Beth shook hands with both of them.

Mom said, “Gerald has told us of you some when he talks of work. He didn’t mention that you were beautiful.” My dad nodded grinning.

I said, “Beth, I’ll get our drinks. Would you like sweetened or unsweetened tea, lemonade or fruit punch?”

“Lemonade, please. Thanks, Gerald.” I seated her and left to get drinks. I returned to find my parents’ friends flocking to the table. Included in that group were Alicia’s parents who came infrequently to Wednesday night suppers. Of course, they weren’t regular attendees on Sunday either.

I managed to get to my chair including politely pushing people away from Beth. Alicia was pretty but Beth was a substantial notch or two more beautiful. I decided not to mind Alicia’s parents conveying that tidbit of information to their daughter who wouldn’t like it. We would never be back together but for her to know her “replacement” was a really beautiful girl would rankle. I didn’t comment on Beth’s status other than simply as a co-worker who I met at work.

We did manage to eat and the crowd went away. It became a merry meal with my mother happy that I had a gorgeous dinner partner and my father having fun with our mutual embarrassment. At a lull, I warned Beth about his sense of humor. She grinned wickedly and said, “I know where you get yours now.” She looked at my mother and said, “A couple of times, he has carried my leg off to the breakroom laughing manically.” Mom just grinned at her.

We finished our meals including pink fluff for desert. One of the ladies made it and it had a delightfully sweet taste. We took our dishes to the barrel and dropped them in it. I offered to take Beth’s but she stood and carried her own. Her short skirt got a lot of attention. I didn’t blame anyone. I had been enjoying looking at her legs all day.

Beth caught me looking and, as we walked to the sanctuary, said, “My eyes are up here, Gerald.”

“I know but I wanted to remember all the other parts. You usually don’t wear skirts to work.” I grinned. “Your legs are spectacular.”

She smiled back. “No monkey business in church. I don’t think that’s proper.”

We entered the sanctuary and sat with my parents. I introduced her as my guest and co-worker. As I sat back down, I noticed Delores Aftermark was in church with her parents. We had been seatmates through much of elementary, middle, and high schools because the spellings of our last names were close and we were in the same grade. She had gone to a different college out of town. I remembered now that she had graduated also. She had always been pretty and was still but was terribly shy. We had never dated though I had considered the possibility a few times. Although shy, she had never lacked for guys being interested in her. I had considered her a friend. She saw me look at her and gave me her usual shy smile. I smiled back.

Our Wednesday night service was singing and a Bible study lead by the pastor. We sang the old hymns which I enjoyed. I quickly found that Beth had a good singing voice and could either read music or was a quick study on the melody. We sang the old songs that I knew well. Then Pastor Ken spoke. He said, “I am beginning a new study tonight on the book of Philippians. To give a bit of background, Paul was writing to the church in Philippi about Christian life. The words, Joy and Rejoice, appear in it more times than any other book of the Bible. The Christian life has joy. The are four chapters and over the next four weeks, we will go over each one showing through Paul’s words how, with God, you can overcome trials.” He went on introducing us to the history known behind the book and the times in which it was written. At the end of the service, we had prayer and another old hymn before leaving.

My parents told Beth that it had been good to meet her and they hoped she would bring me back. Beth smiled, “Missus Addison, this was the first time in my life I have been in a church. I appreciate Gerald bringing me and the welcome I have received.” Shortly after that, we left in my truck.

My truck was a story in itself. My family wasn’t a farming family but I had saved and bought that old truck and kept it running with Dad’s help. Slowly, I had improved the running gear to make it completely dependable and cleaned and improved the interior so it ran and sat better than it looked. Painting the outside was next on my list of improvements for it. I just hadn’t had time and money. I had talked to Dad and he suggested that I have it painted rather than he and I do it. It was quiet and the interior was comfortable.

We left for her place. At the gate, she had to give me the gate code to get inside. I drove her to her place. “Gerald, come inside. I want to talk for a moment.” I nodded.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.