Summer Heat
Chapter 1

Copyright© 2018 by radio_guy

It’s May and I’ve just graduated from college with a degree in marketing. My job hunt was successful and Monday will be my first day at work at my new job. I will be marketing food products rather than serving them. Working as a server through college helped me but also convinced me that I wanted a future in a different area.

Girls were another source of interest for me though I had sworn off the group over the last year. Alicia and I had dated “seriously” for almost a year. I thought we were becoming serious until she dumped me. It could have been worse. I might have bought a ring. I still lived at home with my parents. It was much less expensive and I was trying to keep from owing too much money from my college.

My parents always taught me to avoid debt and I tried, with a mixture of earnings and scholarships, to avoid borrowing more than I absolutely needed. I think that contributed to losing Alicia since my dates tended to be cheap and she was a sorority girl. I went to church with my parents which also didn’t meet with her approval.

Anyway, I graduated with honors and a job. I would be involved in some sales but mostly performing market research for the company’s product line. My commute would be short to the company’s regional office where I would have a desk. My parents celebrated with me my graduation. On Sunday, our little Methodist church recognized me. Few members had graduated from college.

Monday, I drove to my new employer’s offices to get there early. There were four of us who were newly hired including one other into the marketing department. I was sitting in the break room drinking coffee when she came in. My eyes widened when I saw her walk in the door. She was a fox! What’s more, she seemed to not take notice of her looks. She gave me a smile. “Are you a newbie, too?”

I smiled. It would be hard not to respond to her smile with one of my own. “Yes, ma’am. I’m Gerald Addison.”

“Good to meet you, Gerald. I’m Beth Monroe.” She placed her purse on my table and poured a cup of coffee. She sat down across from me.

“Good to meet you, Beth. I think there are two more still to show. I’ll be working in marketing. Where will you be?”

“I will, too. I wonder what they will have us doing?”

“I’m not sure. I’m sure you received the same snow job that I received. We’ll just have to see how it works out in practice.” She nodded. We sat quietly sipping our coffee waiting for more people to show up. I had noted that I was the second person to enter the office this morning. Beth was the fourth.

I smiled a bit ruefully thinking that early rising was a habit because I didn’t go out partying in the evenings. That was particularly true for Sunday night. Alicia never appreciated that. The more I thought about it, the more I decided that it was good we wouldn’t be together any longer;

Beth said, “That was a serious, somber thought.”

I said, “Yes, I was thinking of my former girl and how we didn’t mesh in so many ways.” I brightened. “I’m not sure why we got together or stayed together for most of the year we dated.”

Beth grinned. “I think you might have some worthwhile redeeming characteristics.” She looked over my tall, lean body with its light brown hair and green eyes. “She might have kept you just as arm candy if nothing else.” That made her grin.

She then said, “I think this place doesn’t start on time. Everyone would be due here in ten minutes and we’re still the only ones here other than the receptionist and one other.”

“Yeah, it makes you wonder. I’ve always been an early riser. I like the dawn. It’s peaceful and relaxes me to start another day. I can get a quiet cup of coffee.” All that was true, I thought. What I didn’t say was that I also used that early time to pray and study my Bible. I’m not ashamed of my faith but was uncomfortable talking about my practice of it to strangers or new acquaintances. Alicia had not liked knowing I had a faith or that I practiced it.

At that moment, the door opened and people walked inside. It was like they came in a rush. People went into the break room and grabbed coffee filling or refilling cups and then leaving for their desks. Two other younger persons entered and sat with Beth and me.

An older man sat down with the four of us. “I’m Jack Olson, the HR manager for this branch. I greet you all on behalf of the company. We have the inevitable paperwork to go over to get you all signed on. After that, Miz Monroe and Mister Addison will go to the marketing department, Mister Harkness will be in engineering, and Mister James will stay with me. If there are no immediate questions, let’s get the packets completed and then we’ll separate. Any time that there are questions, speak up.” We all nodded. “Wait here and I’ll be right back.” He left. We waited.

When he returned, he had packets for each of us with forms to fill out including the ubiquitous I-9 to prove we were citizens or had a right to work in the country. We went to work on the forms. I had been through this at restaurants so knew what to carry. I found no surprises. Included was a company manual of some fifty pages. The form with it would have me sign that I had read it. I didn’t sign it but finished the rest and started reading the manual. Everyone else signed everything and Mister Olson collected all the signed forms. He went through each set. He said, “Mister Addison, you haven’t returned the signed handbook form.”

I responded. “On that form, I certify that I have read and understand the handbook. I’m reading it now. Once I have any questions that may come up answered, then I can sign the form.”

“Read the handbook later. Sign the form now.”

I set the handbook to one side, modified the form, and then signed it. Mister Olson was not pleased. Before he could say something, I said, “Mister Olson, I take my name and certifications seriously. I will not lie.”

He wasn’t pleased. “I will get you a new form. AFTER you have read and understood the handbook, I will expect it brought to me signed.”

“Yes, sir.”

“If you will all follow me, we need to take your pictures for company badges. It should be on your person any time you are on company premises or on company business.” He pointed. “I wear mine on my belt. Some use a clip or a chain which the receptionist has in her desk.” He stood and left. We followed him taking our packets that contained the health insurance plan information and handbooks with us. We had our pictures taken and the badges were quickly produced. We were then sent to our departments. On the way, I stopped by the receptionist’s desk and grabbed a clip. Beth also asked for a clip. I handed her mine and got another. We walked to the marketing department following the signs. Once there, we were met by the assistant manager who had interviewed me and, I presumed, Beth.

“I’m Jack Ross as you might remember.” He pointed. “That’s my desk. Yours are to the right of it. Each of you choose one. We’ll sit in the conference room and get you started and settled in.”

I waved to Beth to make her choice. She chose the one next to Ross. I placed my packet upon the other desk and followed Ross and Beth into a conference room.

Ross said, “Call me Jack. It’s easier. We don’t stand on much formality in this department.” He looked at Beth. “What should I call you?”

She said, “I go by Beth. It’s short for Elizabeth.” She smiled.

“I go by Gerald. No one’s ever shortened it.”’

Beth grinned. “You don’t look too short, Gerald.”

Jack smiled and said, “Okay, that’s good. We have a project that you two are assigned to work on together. It’s due in two weeks and will be a bear to get done. We have a pile of raw data that will need analysis with a report detailing what you determine. Mike Taylor is the big boss and he expects an answer and recommendation in that report. If you need data from accounting, Dwight Evans is your contact there. If you need to get out into the field, let me know with your plan and reasoning. I will be available to shepherd you through the way the company does things but it’s your jobs to do this. Look over the data collected here. After lunch, let’s talk about your questions.” We nodded. I was a little dumbfounded but would get on it with Beth. Jack left.

There was a single sheet of paper on the conference table. Everything else was stacks of print-outs. The sheet was closest to me. I looked at it reading it quickly. We were charged with developing a three-month marketing plan for a new product! I was very surprised. I handed the sheet to Beth and said, “Wow!”

She took the sheet and I opened the first folder of print-outs. It was a marketing study prepared by an outside firm. The company’s new product was based upon the recommendation contained in the report. I wondered why they weren’t developing the marketing plan.

Beth looked at me from the sheet. “Gerald, this is going to more than a bear. It could have minefields all about it.”

I nodded. “On top of that, this indicates the product was developed from the recommendation from this company which isn’t involved in producing our report. Unless they are or have developed their own recommendations and we’re supposed to offer support or a new look. I wonder what Jack knows about that thinking.”

Beth looked at her watch. I noticed it was an expensive one with a leather band that was in good shape though not new. “Gerald, it’s about lunch time. Let’s go get something to eat and talk about our project.”

“Sounds good. I do need to stop by the bathroom and decaffeinate.”

She grinned. “That’s an interesting way to put it.” We both went to the restrooms and met in the corridor. She said, “I’ll drive.” I nodded shrugging.

Outside, she went to her car, a fairly new Mercedes Benz sports car. I was impressed. It was a better ride than my old pickup. I got in the passenger side and she drove us away.

She didn’t ask if I had any preference. She just drove. She entered the country club and stopped at the valet station at the club restaurant. She got out so I did, too. We went inside and the host obviously knew her. She was seated at a table. I sat with her and was handed a menu. It had no prices. I looked up sharply. She said, “I’m buying today. You can buy one in the future.”

“I won’t be able to match this at any time in the future. Neither my parents nor I are members of any club.”

“That’s okay. I’m sure you know some good places where we can get a good meal.” I nodded politely. We ordered. It was a grander meal than I was used to having especially for lunch. It was served and I quietly bowed and prayed before eating. Beth had started eating. I joined her in the meal.

“Gerald, why do you think we are being tested by this project?”

“I don’t know. It may be that I’m suspicious by nature. Why put two newbies on what should be a major company product introduction? We need to read the report of the outside company and talk to Jack. We may not get a straight answer from him though.”

We finished our meals which were delicious. At least, mine was. As we waited for her car, I said, “I think my turn may disappoint you. I can’t afford that kind of expense nor am I used to establishments that fine. I do know some really good places to eat though.”

“Gerald, I’m not knowledgeable about many different places. My parents had always used the club. I’m really looking forward to you taking me to some new places for lunch.” I nodded. We got in her car and rolled in its quiet splendor back to work.

Once there, we went over the report from the outside company carefully. It was plain and included much information showing our company could easily produce the new product. It would all work but nothing indicated why they weren’t performing this work to introduce the new product. We looked over a few other of the reports printed before going to Jack’s desk to talk. He nodded and took us back to the conference room.

Chapter 2 »

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.