The Last Police Chief
Chapter 22

Copyright© 2018 by MysteryWriter

Two days later Allison decided she would spend the night and hike the next morning. It was of course perfectly alright with me. I slept with her and then we went to sleep for real. The next morning she and I took the walk around the A course. It was my course which was the easiest to negotiate.

“God this course just keeps getting longer,” Allison said.

“Hon you should walk it everyday. If you did that, you would find it easier to manage,” I said. Of course nobody wants to hear advice. Usually not even when they ask for it and Allison hadn’t ask for any advice.

“Well Ed I have things I am committed to do.” Allison said in a nasty tone.

“I see. Well I guess that solves all of our problems. I won’t bother you any more. Since what you do is so much more important than what I do. We really don’t need to make an issue of this. You just go do your thing, and I’ll do mine. If our lives happen to cross that will be fine,” I suggested.

“You know you might be right. I’m tired of walking a tight rope so as not to crush your male ego,” she said.

“You know, we just found something we can agree on. This has gotten out of hand. let’s just back off and rethink it,” I suggested.

“I think that is an excellent idea,” Allison said. She walked out the door carrying her jacket from the night before. I watched her go. It was our first fight, but I felt pretty sure it was a twofer. Our first and our last fight at the same time.

I rode to the project site just to see what was happening. I really didn’t want to sit around trying to decide what I should do next. I knew that would just get me deeper into the shit. So I checked in with the foreman to see what was happening. I managed to waste the day with the pre inspection tour. It was a list of crap that needed to be done to make the house pass the bank’s occupancy standards. The mortgage holder didn’t want any problems on opening day. We had already had first inspection, but the banks included more categories on their inspections list. It was as much about aesthetics as it was about a sound structure. I took a good look at the list and I went through checking the homeowner sweat equity fixes. Most of them were good only because the Foreman made sure they knew what needed to be done and how to do it. My job was to be the second set of eyes. To check the list again before the foreman had to defend them to the banking group. We really did not want to miss anything.

I had no dog in the fight, but I was happy when we came off the final inspection with only one minor thing which failed. There was nothing I could do about it, so I told our foreman Gus about it. His reaction was, “Don’t worry about it. We always find things to touch up on our last walk through. It’s a game. Their inspector has to protect his rice bowl. So he finds something, usually it’s something so small I can fix it with a touch up kit. So don’t let it bug you.

“So are you going to turn your keys over to the old lady today?” I asked.

“I definitely am. You want to come along for the ride?” he asked in return.

“No, but I’m proud to have worked on it,” I said. “Thanks for all the help, and all I learned from this experience.”

I left the project house for home. It was my intention to cook something at home and see what the evening brought. That was the plan, but it didn’t work that way at all. The way it worked was that the cops were waiting for me at home.

There were two patrol cars in my drive. “Hello chief,” the patrol sergeant greeted me.

“Hello Roy what’s the matter?” I asked.

“Where have you been chief,” Roy asked. “It’s important.”

“I’ve been at the house Project for Humanity built. I worked on it, so I was there taking part in an inspection. You can ask the foreman. He and I have been together most all day,” I said. “Now it’s your turn.”

“At 11:30AM a passing motorist found Allison Green slumped over the wheel of her car. I’m sorry chief. Her friends at her residence told the detectives that she probably spent the night with you. Did she do that often,” Roy asked.

“A couple of times a week lately. You will find my DNA on her, but she was alive when she left here. Where did you find her?” I asked.

“Her car was outside The Haven. It was on the back service driveway. It’s somewhere she would be familiar with,” Roy stated. He was really asking for conformation.

“To be honest Roy, I don’t know. I assume so. I knew where it was and she had been a resident there longer than I had. I moved out a couple of months ago,” I explained.

“Would you come down to the station with us?” Roy asked.

“Of course I want to know what happened to Allison. Tell me first how she died?” I demanded.

“We honestly don’t know. There were no obvious marks or signs of a struggle,” Roy said. “Beyond that I can’t say.”

“Okay let’s go, I want to get this over with, so you can start looking for someone else or something else,” I said.

I rode down to the new police station in the back of an old squad car. I didn’t say a word to anyone. I was too into my own mind. I wondered why the local cops centered in on suspicious death so quickly. Allison was over sixty five and living in a senior citizens residence. My first thought was natural causes. I imagined there were some questions, when turned on their ass, would enlighten me some. The walk from the parking lot to the interrogation room was only a few paces but it was a different feeling inside that room. It almost smelled of desperation. I was familiar with the interrogation room in my old station and it too smelled of fear and desperation as well.

 
There is more of this chapter...

To read this story you need a Registration + Premier Membership
If you have an account, then please Log In or Register (Why register?)

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.