Rachmaninov - Cover

Rachmaninov

Copyright© 2019 by Harry Carton

Chapter 3

Near Balika, eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo

He woke from a fevered sleep gradually. His head hurt as he looked around. There was a bandage of sorts on his head and another holding his left arm to his chest. The room had walls and a roof of sheet tin, with a floor of dried grass. Nothing was familiar.

“Хто я?” [“Who am I?”] he mumbled in Ukrainian to the black woman at the periphery of his vision.

The woman shook her head and brought a canteen of water to his lips. She laid a restraining hand on his chest. He laid back on a mat of reeds. It was too much trouble for him to think. And thinking hurt. He closed his eyes, the world swam in a confusing swirl. He went back to sleep.

She poured some water into a cloth, and wiped his face with it. At least the fever had broken.

The scar in the jungle caused by his single engine aircraft’s crash was already partially grown over.

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.