Melissa - Cover

Melissa

Copyright© 2018 by JRyter

Chapter 2

“Danny, get that floor jack over there and jack the rear end up. We’ll get those wheels changed,” Patch told me.

“Melissa, grab that air hose over there on that reel, and pull it over here so I can use the impact wrench on the lug nuts. I knew they were going to be rusted. I sprayed penetrating oil on them yesterday.”

Melissa jumped like she’d been poked, when he called her name to help. But she grinned and ran across the shop to get the end of the air hose from the hose reel. She walked backwards across the shop as she pulled it over to Patch.

“Danny you and Melissa go out there to that old shed, get those five wheels stacked up in there,” He told us and we took off out the back door.

I opened the wooden door and saw a lot of junk piled up in there. There were a lot of cobwebs too, but I took my hand and swiped it to tear them down, as I made my way back to the stack of wide tires.

When I reached up and pulled the first one down, I looked at the side of it.

‘GOODYEAR’, it said in big white, raised letters. The rims were white spokes and I just grinned at Melissa. I grabbed the next wheel and brought it down from the stack.

We each rolled a wheel to the back of the shop and went back for two more. I ran back to get the last one, while Melissa helped Patch get the first old tire and rim out of the way.

Patch was sitting down on the floor cross legged in front of the wheel, and when he pulled the old one off, he rolled it out of the way and she rolled one of the wide tires over to him, so he could put the new wheels on.

She amazes me at the way she jumps in and helps us. I’m happy she’s there too.

When we had the rear wheels changed, I let the truck down and jacked the front end up.

“Danny see if you can get that old spare tire out of the fender-well and we’ll see about making this wider tire fit in there,” Patch said.

I walked around to look at the spare tire where it was mounted on the right front fender. It was in a deep well, mounted so it stuck up next to the hood of the truck. I got a couple of wrenches and took the mounting bracket loose then lifted the spare out of its resting place.

“Melissa get that air gauge and the air chuck over there in that coffee can by the hose reel, we’ll check the air in all the tires,” Patch said, grinning at me when I looked his way.

She came back with them and Patch smiled, that she knew what he was talking about.

“Danny show her how to check the air pressure with the gauge and y’all put thirty-two pounds in each tire ... the spare too,” Patch told us.

I showed Melissa how to put the gauge on the valve stem and check the pressure. Then we hunkered down side by side as she checked the pressure and I put air in them, as needed on all the tires.

Her knee was rubbing against mine as we squatted by each tire and she would just smile at me and I would smile at her. We never said a word ... we didn’t need to.

Patch lifted the spare up and into the fender well. It just barely slipped down into the well, where the older, skinnier tire had been. Patch looked at me and we both grinned. I fastened the mounting bracket and we stepped back to look at the old Studebaker ... then at each other.

“Danny you and Melissa take her around the block a time or two and check her out. We’ll leave the hood off until we know for sure she’s going to run okay.”

We were grinning like two possums as we looked at Patch.

I opened the door for Melissa to get in and she looked at me kinda funny, but she smiled and got in.

I got in on the driver’s side and fired the little engine up again. I put it in reverse and eased the clutch out.

I had never driven a stick shift on the floor, but Patch told me to look on the knob and shift the gears in the same pattern it showed there when I pushed the clutch down each time.

I was nervous, but he seemed to have confidence in me ... so off we went.

I didn’t stall it once or jerk it ... too much when I took off.

I had a dollar and a half in my pocket, so I stopped by the gas station and put a dollar’s worth of regular in the tank, and bought us both a Coke.

When we got back to the truck, I held Melissa’s hand and walked her around to my side of the truck. I opened the door and she slid in under the wheel, then scooted over just enough to let me in.

I looked at her face as she sat just inches from me. She had a big smudge of dirt right over her freckles on her nose. I reached up and wiped it off with the grease rag I had hanging out of my back pocket and she smiled at me then did that little thing where she crinkles her nose.

Without even a second thought ... I leaned over and kissed her on her lips.

Melissa snuggled close to me, as we drove out onto the street and made the tour of Riverton, then back to Patch’s Garage.

“Well ... how did she run, Danny?” Patch asked as we got out.

“Runs like a clock, Patch. I just drove through town and got a dollar’s worth of gas and us a Coke, but she was just purring ... still smokes a bit, though.”

“It’ll do that for a day or two more’n likely ... until you get all the oil burned out of the cylinders. We’ll keep an eye on it and make sure it don’t burn too much oil.”

“I’ll check it every day, Patch,” I told him.

“Melissa what do you think of this old truck?” Patch asked her.

“Patch, I think it is the best truck in Riverton. I just love riding in it with the windows down, seeing the people looking at us as we rode by,” She smiled.

“Let’s put the hood back on it. We’ll get it washed tomorrow. Then we can see how much trouble it’s going to be to sand and prime.”

“I’ve got a couple of old blankets in my room that I can bring to cover the seats with ... since they’re kinda dry and cracked,” Melissa said.

“That’ll be fine for now, Melissa. We’ll wash the cab out, when we wash it tomorrow. Danny, why don’t you put yours and Melissa’s bikes in the back and drive it home tonight? That way your Mom and Dad can see what you’re getting them into,” Patch said.

We put the hood back on the hinges and lined it up with the latch, before tightening it.

I walked over to Patch with the intention of shaking his hand again, but when our eyes met I reached up and hugged him. We were both smiling when I backed up.

Melissa jumped up in front of him and hugged him around his neck, and smiled at him, as she ducked her head and blushed.

“That was for letting me help, Patch ... and not treating me like I was just another girl that didn’t know anything about a shop.”

“Melissa you’re welcome in this shop any time. Danny and I will have you working on cars and trucks and making repairs, if you hang around with us.”

“I really like being here with y’all too. I like helping Danny work on his truck,” She said as she sidled up to Patch and hugged him with one arm around his waist. Then she did the same with me and didn’t move away.

I looked at Patch, and he was smiling.

“Give this pretty girl a ride home, Danny. I’ll see both of you back here tomorrow after school.”

I saw his eyes water up ... but then mine were filling up too. I reckon this smoke was getting to us.

Melissa walked around to get in on my side. She sat as close as she could to me as we rode slowly toward her house.

“Come in and meet my Mom, Danny. I want her to see that you are a good-looking, level headed boy. That’s what she told me to look for in a boy and I’ve found the one I want,” Melissa said as she looked at me when I stopped at a stop sign.

“I hope she likes me. Melissa. I wish she’d let you have a boyfriend. I’d sure like to be him.”

“She will ... I just know she’s going to like you, Danny. Mom and I like the same things.” She was smiling at me as we pulled into her driveway.


“Mom, I want you to meet someone ... he’s a friend of mine,” Melissa said soon as we walked into their kitchen through the back door.

“Melissa what in the world have you been doing? You’ve got dirt all over your face and hands,” Mrs. Dean said as soon as she saw us.

“Mom, this is Danny Millen. He’s the boy Helen cussed out the day he fixed her car. He’s got his own truck now. I’ve been helping him and Patch work on it,” Melissa said.

Her face did have a few smudges that I missed.

“Danny, you seem to have made two entirely different impressions on my daughters. You two go wash your hands and faces and sit down to have some milk and cookies,” She said as she looked me over. I still had on my shop coveralls on. I guess I did look kinda scruffy to her.

Melissa led me right into the bathroom with her and we washed our hands together in the sink, side by side. I washed her face with a washcloth, then she took it, and washed mine. She gave me a quick kiss on my cheek.

“So, are you a mechanic, or just working part time, Danny?” Mrs. Dean asked me. Her smile is just like Melissa’s and she even has some freckles on her nose.

“I just work there for Patch part time. He had the old Studebaker truck parked out back, and he’s letting me buy it, and pay for it by working in his shop.”

“How old are you, Danny?” She looked at me with a serious look.

“I was sixteen in July.”

I felt like this was where she’s going to tell me to leave her daughter alone.

“Melissa is only fourteen. Even though she’s very tall and pretty, and mature for her age, she isn’t allowed to date,” She said and I glanced at Melissa.

Her head was down and I knew this was it.

“Yes Ma’am, I understand. I know I’m a year and a half older than her, but we became friends and we like each other. If you’ll just let me be Melissa’s friend, I promise you that I’ll never hurt her and we’ll never do anything that you wouldn’t approve of.” I almost I choked as all of this came out.

I took a drink of my milk to wet my throat, then looked at her. She was just looking at me with a funny look ... then she smiled.

“Danny ... I like you. You can be Melissa’s friend. You treat my daughter nice, and with the same respect you give your Mother, and we’ll see how you two get along,” Mrs. Dean shocked me and I know she shocked Melissa ... because she jumped up and hugged her Mom.

“Thanks Mom. Danny is a gentleman ... even Patch told me that he was a good boy and that he approved of him as a boyfriend candidate for me.”

Melissa looked from her Mom to me.

“He did?” I asked.

“Yes, when he and I were watching you take the screwdriver out of the throttle linkage, he pointed at you and told me that ... and I agreed with him.”

“Danny what does your Mom and Dad do?”

“They both work over at the factory in Martinsville. Dad’s a foreman, Mom’s a secretary there. They’ve both worked there since they got out of high school and got married.”

I was proud of my Mom and Dad.

“Very good. Do they go to church?”

“Yes Ma’am, but not every Sunday. We like to go out to the river and have a picnic some Sunday’s, since we never get to see a lot of each other during the week.”

“Harold and I used to do that when the girls were younger. We just quit somewhere along the way...”

Look at me Melissa, “ Mrs. Dean said suddenly.

“Yes Ma’am,” Melissa looked at her Mom. I did too ... I thought we were making good progress until now. I really felt bad ... maybe it was because we didn’t go to church every Sunday.

“Melissa, I really like Danny Millen ... a lot,” She said.

“Danny, you can be Melissa’s first boyfriend ... but you better never let me hear that you’ve taken advantage of her being younger than you.”

“Mom, Danny would never take advantage of me,” Melissa told her.

“Then you better never let me hear that you took advantage of this nice young man either,” She said and we had to laugh, even though I could feel my face turn red.

“See Danny, I told you that my Mom was cool and that we liked the same things,” Melissa told me, and hugged her Mom again.

“Let me lay down some rules for you two, to think about. First of all, no dates on school nights. After school Cokes and burgers are fine ... home before dark though. Home by 11:00 on Friday nights and 11:30 on Saturday nights.

“No dates two nights in a row, unless I know why and where you’re going. No hands under the clothes by either of you ... Now can you both live by those rules? These are the same rules that were given to me by my Mom, and I think they’re still fair enough for you two. We’ll talk about changes in the rules when Melissa turns fifteen. That is, if you two are still seeing each other,” Mrs. Dean finished and looked at both of us.

“Thanks Mom, you’re the best Mom ever. May I tell my friends that Danny is now my boyfriend and he’s been given the stamp of approval by my Mom.”

“Yes you may, just follow the rules, let me know if we need to make an exception for a special event.”

“Thanks Mrs. Dean. I’ll make sure Melissa behaves.”

“I’m depending on you, Danny. I know Melissa ... she usually wiggles around and gets what she wants.”

“Mom, I hope I can still help Danny and Patch work on Danny’s truck over at the garage,” Melissa said.

“I think that’s a great idea. At least I’ll know where you are and that you’re too dirty and greasy to do anything else.”

“MOM - that’s not funny!”

“Do you have a driver’s license to drive that old truck, Danny?”

“Yes Ma’am, I do.”

“Then you and Melissa run to the store for me. I need some things for supper. Here’s a twenty. Melissa, you can keep the change so you’ll have some money now that you’re acting a little more mature.”

Melissa’s Mom paused then cemented our status.

“Danny, why don’t you stop by and ask your Mom if you can stay and have supper with us ... that is, if you want to.”

“Yes Ma’am, I’d love to.”

I could have hugged her myself at that moment.

But I didn’t.


“Mom, Dad I want you to meet my friend, Melissa Dean. She’s been helping Patch and me work on my old truck,” I said as I led Melissa into the kitchen. We were still wearing our dirty work clothes.

“Hello Melissa, it’s nice to meet you,” Dad said, smiling at the way we were dressed.

“Hello Melissa. I’m afraid our son may be asking too much of you ... having you working in an auto repair shop,” Mom said as she scowled at me.

“No Mrs. Millen ... I really like working with Danny and Patch. They treat me just like one of the guys and never make fun of me,” Melissa said with that little smile of hers. I think Mom and Dad fell in love with her too ... right about then.

“Mom, Mrs. Dean asked me to stay for supper after we go to the store for her. Will it be alright if I do?”

“Well, I’m sure she knows by the way you’re growing ... that you eat more than a normal person. I see no reason why you can’t. You’ll need to get your homework done when you get home, though.”

“I’ve got my books in the truck. I thought if you let me eat supper with them I could get my homework over there and that way I’d have more time to visit.”

“Be home by 9:30, Danny.

“Melissa, I hope you know, we’ve tried real hard to teach this boy right from wrong. If he messes up over there, just remember that I warned you,” Dad told her.

“Mr. Millen, Danny is the perfect gentleman. He even opens the door for me and asks me what I think about everything we talk about.” He shook his head and waved us out the door.

“Danny don’t you think you should change into your school clothes.”

“We’ve got them in the truck Mrs. Millen ... he can change in my room.” Melissa said, then her face turned blood red.

“I didn’t mean with me in there.” She blurted out.

I did hug her then, and Mom did too before we left.

“I like your parents, Danny. Your Dad is a lot like mine. He likes to joke and sometimes you really have to watch what he says cause he’ll say one thing and mean another, just to trip you up.”

Melissa was sitting close beside me on our way to the store.

“Danny, ask My Dad if we can go to the movie Saturday night. I want to go on a date with you.”

“I was trying to get up the courage to ask you, Melissa. I mean, we just now got permission from your Mom to be girlfriend – boyfriend. I’ll ask him while we’re eating supper.”

“Good, I want to hold your hand and I want to kiss you too.”

“I’ve never kissed a girl before Melissa.”

“Well I haven’t either. We can learn together. Helen told me one time that there was no wrong way to kiss, that the boy and girl have to figure what they like best about it, then keep practicing until they get it right.”

“I hope we’re good at it, Melissa. I think I’m going to like kissing you.”

“Me too, Danny. When we get to the store ... can we kiss the first time?”

“What if someone sees us?”

“I hope its one of my friends, if they do ... or at least someone who will tell one of my friends,”

I was afraid I was going to get a hard-on.

The only parking space at the supermarket was right in front of the store ... except for the ones way out next to the street. I pulled the old Studebaker into the parking place and took the keys out.

Melissa jumped up and switched around so fast I didn’t know what she was doing. She was on her knees in the seat, her face right next to me.

I looked into her eyes and turned just a little to face her as she leaned over to kiss me. I was shaking so hard my keys were rattling in my hand ... as our lips met.

“Don’t make your lips so hard Danny. Relax and let them just kinda open a little but not too much,” She told me as she put her arms around my neck and pulled my face close to hers.

I felt her titties pressing into my chest and almost got a hard-on.

“Wow Danny, that was good. I want us to do a lot of that ... Did you like it?”

She leaned back on her knees, looking at me, her big brown eyes shining.

“I think we better go in and get that stuff for your Mom while I can still walk. My legs are feeling funny.”

“Danny?” She stopped as we walked down the aisle looking for the spice section.

“Yeah Melissa?”

“I’ve been thinking about what Mom told us about the rules.”

“Well, we agreed to them ... so we have to abide by them,” I said, thinking that was a good stand to take.

“Yeah but the way she said that one.”

“Which one?”

“No hands under our clothes by either of us.”

“Well I wasn’t planning on groping you any time soon, anyway,” I told her, as we now looked for some ground cumin.

“Well, I was planning on knowing more about you and as long as I have your permission to touch you outside your clothes, I won’t be violating the rules ... will I?” She said with a smug smile.

“Technically no ... But I’m not sure your Mom would let you do that, if you asked her to clarify what she meant.”

“But she said, and I quote, no hands under the clothes by either of you.”

“I know Melissa ... but I don’t want you to get into trouble ... because she also told me she was depending on me to keep the rules.”

We picked up the four items that Mrs. Dean wanted us to get and were standing in line at the checkout.

“You take the money and pay, Danny. I want them to think we live together,” Melissa said.

I could have hugged her right then.

So I did.

“What was that for, Danny?”

“Just because I can, and I felt like it.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.