The Man From Eagle Creek - Cover

The Man From Eagle Creek

Copyright© 2018 by JRyter

Chapter 3

With the events of this day, a new legend was born in the Dakotas. The story spread like prairie fire across the plains and people from hundreds of miles away made the pilgrimage to Eagle Creek Trading Post. They wanted to hear from Mr. Raif and his woman first hand about the day the heavens opened up and Good fought Evil above the plains as their son was delivered to them by a giant eagle, sent from heaven directly to the Dakotas.

The Sioux came by the hundreds to give homage to the Sky Chief that had returned to earth to lead his people once again. The old chiefs that were left in the once proud Sioux Nation came to hear the story. The same story many had heard predicted for generations, as they sat around the camp fires and listened to the elders of their tribe speak of visions that had come to them and their forefathers.

They had been told of a time in the future when a giant eagle would swoop down from the skies and deliver a baby boy that would grow up to lead his people with the blessings and wisdom of the Great Spirit.

As the pilgrims came and went, the story grew and spread over the lands. The Sioux brought gifts of hides and horses. They brought baby moccasins and leather breeches for the boy from the sky. They brought gold nuggets and necklaces of carved bones and wrist bands made from gold, to lay on the porch of the trading post, paying homage to this miracle in their lands.

Raif took all the new tarpaulins out of the storage sheds to cover the gifts the pilgrims brought the baby boy. He had to order special wagon loads of goods to restock his trading post and even lumber to add on more space to show his wares.

Still the people came, some from far away places like New York and Washington, DC. From other countries too as the legend of the Eagle Boy spread across the big waters to other lands.

Kings, came from the far east. Royalty from Spain and Mexico as well as the countries in South America, came to pay homage and bring gifts of gold and silver that had been engraved especially for the Eagle Boy of the Dakotas. There was fine silk from India and braided rugs from Arabia, there were diamonds and jewels from all over the world brought to the site of the Miracle on the Plains.

Soon there were tipi’s spread all over the hills near the trading post.

There were people cooking and feeding the visitor’s, there were people bringing water up from Eagle Creek in huge wooden barrels so the visitor’s could have a drink of healing water from the blessed creek where the woman plucked the baby from its Baptismal waters.

The Sioux elders and chiefs gathered in council and agreed to make their land that adjoined the trading post a sacred place of worship so people from all lands could come to worship and pay homage to the Sky Chief of the Dakotas.

The Sioux had the deed to one thousand acres of land drawn up and presented to the Crenshaws in exchange for the privilege and honor of the people of the Sioux to come here to worship freely until the end of time.


Elizabeth slept warm and peaceful as she dreamed of blue skies and spring flowers. She woke only once during the night and snuggled her son to her breast.

Raif slept the night away for the first time in months. He finally had the son that he and his wife had prayed for so long. Raif had told her to stop worrying, if it were to be, then God would provide.

The young girl slept warm and peaceful too for the first time since she herself was a baby. Snuggled next to the kind and loving white woman, she dreamed that she had found her true mother and in her sleep she smiled.

She was so happy that the Great Spirit of the sky had taken her son’s spirit to watch over the lands of the Sioux. Now the girl was glad that her rape had been for the good. Now she felt clean and happy once more.

Though not asleep or awake, Raif’s mind wandered in and out of the present and settled on a time years before.

The place was Charleston, South Carolina and the events that occurred there, changed his life as well as Elizabeth’s forever.

A smile came across Raif’s face as his semi-conscious mind took him back to the beginning of his wonderful life with his wife and mate.


Raiford Ellison Crenshaw had been commissioned Lieutenant in the United States Cavalry after receiving his scholastic papers proclaiming him as a surveyor of lands. His command of the English language and his mastery of math and surveying instruments gained him favor among his superiors.

Lieutenant Crenshaw was called to the home of his commander in Charleston, South Carolina to receive his orders and directions to his new post.

General Theodore Louis Gaston greeted Lieutenant Crenshaw in his parlor and led him to his study to compliment him on his newly appointed commission.

There were rumblings of the south seceding from the Union and becoming a separate nation. General Gaston was being called back to Washington to help in the negotiations, in an effort to resolve the differences between the north and the south.

“Lieutenant Crenshaw, we are in dire need of surveyors of lands in the northern plains, and now that the Peace Treaties have been signed by the Sioux and the Cheyenne, we need to begin setting boundaries and place markers, showing the reservations and the government lands. There have been many disagreements lately as to who owns what lands, and what our government has promised the Sioux they would be offered for their lands if they would agree to live on the reservations set aside for them.

“You will be allowed to hand pick a crew of twenty men to follow you to Council Bluffs, Iowa. There you will meet up with three more surveying crews, you will be given your pick of the lands you would prefer to survey and the other two crews will be sent to other lands in the plains.”

“I want you to open your journal and write my post address, so you may personally keep me posted by mail of your progress.

“Are you married Lieutenant?”

“No Sir.”

“Then you will need to attend to that as soon as you can, you have thirty days to pick your crew and find a wife, you will be in the plains for many months to come and perhaps years. You will not fare well without a wife and companion.”

“Yes Sir.”

“I would like you to join me in a toast to your new commission and to the future of your tenure with the U.S. Cavalry.”

“Yes Sir, I would be honored General.”

The General turned and pulled a long silver rope behind his desk and somewhere in the depths of the huge mansion, Raiford could hear the drone of a gong that rang dully through the house.

In a matter of seconds the door to the study opened and an aide to the General came into the room, stopped and saluted.

“Sir?”

“Yes Corporal, bring some glasses and fetch a bottle of my best peach brandy, we are about to propose a toast to the future of the great northern plains of The United States of America.”

“Right away Sir.” The corporal clicked his heels and saluted both the officers.

The door was left open and no sooner had the Corporal left the room, than a beautiful young woman entered and smiled sweetly at the General.

“Uncle Teddy, I wanted to see you for a bit to ask a great favor of you,” the young woman said as she glanced over at the young officer then ran her eyes up and down his tall uniformed frame with uninhibited interest.

“Yes, my sweet Beth Ann please come in, I want you to meet the young Lieutenant.”

“Lieutenant Raiford Ellison Crenshaw, this splendid work of womanhood is God’s rendition of beauty. She is Elizabeth Ann Gaston, daughter of my dearly departed brother and now my wildly adventurous charge.”

Raiford Crenshaw grasped the young woman’s outstretched hand and kissed the back of her fingers as he bowed in her presence.

“Very nicely done Lieutenant, I see you also have an eye for beauty and the officers have done an excellent job in schooling you in the manners of an officer in the U.S. Cavalry,” General Gaston beamed.

“My, my,” Elizabeth said in a shy voice, “isn’t he just the most handsome young man in your command Uncle Teddy?”

“Without a doubt Beth Ann, and I have just charged him with the task of finding a wife and companion for his new commission in the great northern plains as a surveyor of lands.”

Lieutenant Crenshaw could feel his neck begin to redden as the young woman looked him over even closer than before, almost as if he were a horse for her purchase. He could see her eyes linger on his crotch, then down to his polished boots only to come back to his tight crotch and stop, before looking up to meet his eyes in a flash.

“Beth Ann is my only niece and sole heir to my plantation. She has been schooled at the best schools available to young girls and she can cook the best of meals from her southern recipes, that you have ever set a plate to.”

“Uncle, you sound as if you are trying to barter me off to the nice young Lieutenant. I am sure he already has his handsome eyes set on another, much prettier girl than I.”

“Well, I happen to know that he has not set his eyes on another, and besides, there are none that can compare with your beauty and your youthful vigor in life.”

“Miss Elizabeth, I can assure you, that your Uncle is a man with a great eye for beauty and he has spoken the truth, there are none as beautiful as you in the south.”

Knowing she had him hooked and feeling a little flirty as always, Beth Ann stepped to the young officer and hooked her arm through his and smiled up at him shyly, “Does this mean you are asking for permission to call on me soon, Lieutenant Crenshaw?”

“Ma’am, I can assure you I was not being out of line as I made my statements confirming your Uncle’s opinion of you. Though I am pressed for time, I would never expect to receive permission from your uncle to come calling on you in a courting manner.”

“Nonsense Lieutenant, I wholeheartedly give my permission and I can assure you that Beth Ann is just as interested in seeing you as I am for seeing you start this new commission as a married man.”

“Then it is all settled, that is if you even find me a fitting candidate for the wife of a handsome young lieutenant,” Beth said.

“Now that we have that all settled, I will have your horse taken to the stable and you will stay for an early supper. After supper I expect the two of you will want some time alone to talk over the possibilities of and prospects of a life together.”

“I am flattered Sir, and I am overwhelmed that you consider me worthy of your niece, I’m sure she has all the young beaus in this part of the south scrambling for time on her doorstep.”

“Lieutenant, Beth Ann is but sixteen years old, and not allowed to court the young men, yours will be her first and her last courtship.”

“Then I am truly honored Sir,” Lieutenant Crenshaw said, facing the General and saluting crisply.

The corporal had returned and was standing at attention to the side as the conversation was going on, but now with a nod from the General, he stepped forward and poured three glasses of brandy from the newly opened bottle. Handing one to the General then the lieutenant, he turned to the young lady and offered her the last glass.

“I am not allowed alcohol, corporal,” she said curtly.

“As of today you are Beth Ann, as we toast to the future of the clan and the future of the Lieutenant Raiford Ellison Crenshaw and his commission.”

“Corporal, grab a glass and toast with us on this special occasion.”

“Yes Sir,” the Corporal said, as he hurriedly poured another glass and stood at attention.

“To the U.S. Cavalry and the brave men that serve with honor, to the most beautiful young woman in the south, and to the honorable Lieutenant Raiford Ellison Crenshaw, may we all live long, healthy and productive lives with many heirs to carry on our name.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.