Shockwave - Cover

Shockwave

Copyright© 2018 by JRyter

Chapter 19

LIST OF BOYD’S OFFSPRING - WITH PARENT(S)

  1. - Nita & Nila - Jennette & Lester

  2. - Toni & Joni - Kendra & Adam

  3. - Sierra & Tera - Deanna & Charles

  4. - Talon & Arrah - Connie

  5. - Raptor & Valkry - Nora

  6. - Laci & Lana - Lisa

  7. - Mia & Mya - Liz

  8. - Haylee & Kaylee - Laura

  9. - Hawk & Falcon – Savana

  10. - Hunter & Vulcan - Savana

  11. - Jana & Tana - Andrea

  12. - Dove & Robin - Andrea

  13. - Luna & Lila - Suma & Eric

  14. - Robbi & Bobbi - Cathy & Jerl

  15. - Charly & Karly - Brenda & Carlton

  16. - Ami & Ali - Susan

  17. - Lee & Dee - Leigh


“Boyd, Martin Gallagher wants you to call him when you have time. I told him we were busy at the moment,” Savana told me as soon as she stepped off the bus.

“I’ll call him when I get back to a phone. We’ve asked him if he’d be interested in heading up the manufacturing of our Chiropta and HoverCraft. Maybe he’s decided to take me up on my offer.”

With the mom’s, nurses, the teachers, and the entire household staff watching, our thirty-four kids took turns operating the HoverCraft. If you want to see what it’s made of ... if you want to see if it can take a beating and survive, then turn it over to your kids.

That’s exactly what we did, and not only did the kids have fun playing Bumper Cars for the first time, they did exactly what Carlton and I did that first day. Once they found out there was no risk of personal injury or risk of damage to the HoverCraft, they really cranked up the heat. Though the HoverCraft would not actually bump into each other, the kids made it look as if they were practicing for a Demolition Derby – with no contact.

They switched and swapped operators until each of them had taken dozens of turns at the ‘stick’ and it was getting close to noon. Their mom’s called a halt to the action so we could have a picnic.

After the picnic, the kids were allowed to take the HoverCraft back to the shop, before flying home for afternoon classes.


I had just gotten off the phone with Martin Gallagher and walked into the HoverCraft assembly room to see Adam, Carlton and Eric gathered around the Flying Saucers.

“Boyd, did he take us up on our offer?” Adam asked.

“He told me that he’d talked it over with Margaret, and they’ve decided to move here temporarily, at least until we have the assembly plant in operation. They’ll be here before dark today and we’ll take them to White Sands with us tomorrow. We’ll need to include him in all the discussions about the Chiropta and the HoverCraft as we make plans with the Military and the CIA, for production.”

Carlton had expressed concerns about Marty, when I first mentioned hiring Martin for the job, and now he brought it up again. “Boyd, I still have some reservations about Marty. He’s the same age as our kids, though they are going through an accelerated growth and aging period. Are you and Adam still confident that he won’t feel excluded, when our kids are in class, and-or flying, here at the ranch?”

Adam told him, “Carlton – Kendra and I met with the kids for a few minutes last night, and they are extremely excited about Marty being here fulltime. They have made plans to include him in all their activities and even plan to take him flying with them.”

“Then that makes me even more proud of our kids, that they would welcome an outsider into their group. I’m sure, that if there’s a way, they will have him feeling like he’s one of them.”

“I agree, Carlton. Though there is a chronological difference in their age, they’re all the same age mentally. Marty coming here to live fulltime, could possibly be one more test we’ll need to monitor. Martin and Margaret told me that Marty has scored a perfect 800 on each of the SAT’s two sections – the same as our kids have recently scored.”

“I agree Boyd, we need to have our nurses and our teachers monitor his development as he’s exposed to our kids and their activities,” Adam said.

Carlton – always the scientist, asked – “That said, I have to wonder, what will happen when our bunch takes him swimming, and eventually, down to see the meteorite?”

“Carlton, I can tell by your question, you already have an idea what we can expect.”

“I would not be the least bit surprised to see Martin Gallagher Jr. come to the surface of the lake – flying!”

“Carlton, in the short time I’ve known you, I have learned to never doubt you. If your prediction comes true, this will create an even more serious security challenge about the lake in the future.”

Adam added his opinion and we let it stand at that. “I say we stand back let our kids make it happen ... no matter what the results. We know it’s just a matter of time until our boys, and yes our girls too, take Marty swimming and go down to explore the meteorite. I’ll talk to Martin and Margaret when they arrive later today, and ask them if they have any objections to the outcome, if Marty does suddenly inherit all the physical and mental abilities of Boyd’s offspring.”

With Adam’s statement, our little brainiac session ended and Carlton looked at me with a grin...

“Boyd, I proposed to Eric and Adam while you were on the phone, that the four of us should each take a Flying Saucers over to the back lot and test them ourselves, since they operate same as the HoverCraft.”

“Let’s do it! I can hardly wait to see the look on that bunch from DC when they see these new toys you’ve created.”

“Carlton, I suppose you’ll also have these saucers in full production at some point, just like the Chiropta?” Eric asked as we talked before entering the cockpits of the saucers.

“Like I told Boyd, I designed them on a whim, but then it became even more fun to outfit them and test them just as I did with the HoverCraft. They are actually beefed-up HoverCraft on steroids, with a modified body-style. However, I did come back and mark out laser ports, so we’d be prepared if the CIA or Military – or even both, want to test them with the new lasers when they test the Chiropta starting this weekend. You may have noticed too, these Saucers have six thrust rockets, and zero lift rockets... so be careful when you put the pedal to the metal.

“You said – starting this weekend – like we may stay at White Sands longer,” Eric said.

“Pack your bags tonight. They’ve informed me, we could possibly be there two weeks. The whole family is going ... The Military, the FBI and the Secret Service have all concluded it would be better to have all of us in one place, rather than separated.”

Eric was smiling when he turned to me. “Boyd, I have a big favor to ask, since we’ll be gone possibly two weeks.”

“You can call over to the house now and ask her if she wants to fly with you to White Sands in one of the Saucers, since they’re two-seaters.”

“REALLY? Thanks, Boyd ... But what I was about to ask was, if I could get you to fly with me beside Suma in a Chiropta to make sure she can fly one. I know she can though. She built the flight simulator and helped design and build the newest Chiropta.”

Adam told him, “Eric, we’ve seen you and Suma together since the minute you met. She’s talked to Kendra, Savana and Andrea about you. Boyd told me she’s asked his opinion, too. I think it’s time you and Suma announce the fact that you’re now a couple. Don’t you?”

“Yes, I agree and thanks, Adam...

“Thanks to you and Carlton too, Boyd. Y’all have made me feel like I’m a part of this family and this operation since the day I arrived, and I have to tell you, I’ve never been happier.”

“You are a part of this operation, Eric. You have been since the day you dropped your duty-bags and shook my hand. I’m not sure what you and Suma have in mind, and I’m not pressing you ... but, if you and she are planning to sleep together, you’ll need to at least ask her to marry you.”

“We’ve talked about that too. We’ve sat down with Lila and Luna, and talked to them about it. They’ve already asked me if they could call me, Daddy, when we get married.”

“Then you, Suma, Luna and Lila need to stand and make the announcement at supper tonight. Congratulations and welcome to the family, Eric,” I told him, reaching out to shake.

Carlton told him as they shook hands, “Eric if you’ll get Suma to talk to Brenda and Kendra about it, I’m sure they would agree for us to have a three-way wedding. Adam and Kendra – and Brenda and I have made plans to get married this weekend at White Sands.”

“Thanks, Carlton.”

Adam told him, “Now that we’ve gotten you two set up to be married, let’s fly some saucers.”

The tinted, polycarbonate canopy on the saucer slides to the rear of the cockpit on tracks, so the pilot and co-pilot can enter. The two, side-by-side seats are well padded and the controls are exactly the same as the HoverCraft. Once seated, the two occupants are sitting with only their heads visible through the low-profile canopy.

“Carlton, I assume these operate exactly like the air-sleds?”

“Exactly, Boyd. The only difference being, the entire cockpit will swivel a continuous 360° inside the body of the saucer – Even on a sudden ninety-degree turn of the craft. I did that so that no matter which direction the pilot turns his craft, he’ll always be facing forward ... OR, with the simple flip of a switch on the joystick, the pilot can face the rear, or to either side, as he fires lasers at his targets. No other fighter I know of, can fire weapons in such a manner.”

Eric asked as he looked them over. “That won’t make the pilot dizzy, will it?”

“It’s the same principle as inside the Chiropta and HoverCraft. No matter how you turn or twist, or how fast – you feel as if you’re sitting in a chair at the house.”

“Awesome!”

“What’s the guesstimated top speed?” I asked.

“I have a feeling these Saucers will fly circles around the Chiropta! I would be surprised if this little dessert dish, couldn’t give you a good chase!”

“I assume you built them bullet proof and invisible to radar?”

“Yes – same as the Chiropta, again. I was able to do this with a polycarbonate layer, over the fiberglass, before we added the two layers of silver epoxy powder-coat. Then, I took some of the same formula Adam and I used to make the Chiropta’s heat shield, to double powder-coat the outer shell of the craft, except for the canopy. You’ll notice the raised bevel around the bottom circle of the canopy. This will deflect any heat caused by our atmosphere, over the clear polycarbonate of the canopy...

“Each of you suit up and let’s go fly some saucers into outer space.”

“Will we actually be able to fly at that altitude without oxygen?” Eric asked.

“The cabins become pressurized upon lift-off, and they have an unlimited oxygen supply.”

“Give me a minute to clear the airspace. We don’t need to be shot down by some of our own jets, or surface to air missiles, thinking Planet Earth is being invaded by Martians.”

I called the Secret Service security post at the front gate and asked them to notify all military aircraft and all military bases in North America, that we were about to test our newest wingless, aircraft.

“Define wingless, Sir. They will surely ask me for clarification,” the agent stated.

“We’re going to take four – Flying Saucer – shaped aircraft up for an initial test-flight. If all goes as planned, we’ll make a swing across the continent from here to the Pacific, up the west coast to Canada, across the northern tier, to the Atlantic, then down the eastern seaboard to Florida, and back here. We will be at supersonic speeds and we’ll need to be notified if we’re seen on NORAD, or any radar, since we have yet to install transponders for NORAD to identify us.”

Gotcha, Sir. Just for the heck of it, make a pass by the front gate, if you will. We’re standing on our ears over here, waiting to see such an aircraft.”

“NO CAMERAS! Just yet anyway. This is top secret and we’ll expect you to help us keep it that way.”

“Yes Sir. We got your back, Mr. Lightfoot.”

I flipped the switch on my transceiver and called the Pentagon.

Eagle One to Eagle Nest

Lloyd Langston here, go ahead, Boyd

Sir, we’re in the process of flight-testing some of the most remarkable flying machines the world has yet to see and we’ve asked for clearance over the entire North American continent, to test – four saucer-shaped aircraft – if in fact they can track us

Boyd, did I hear you say – four flying saucers

Yes Sir

Save one back for me when I arrive at 0600 tomorrow ... You may as well save two back, the Boss Man is a certified Navy Pilot, and he’ll want to fly one as soon as I inform him. You guys over there are truly out of this world, when it comes to inventing new flying machines and earthbound vehicles

Sir, please inform NORAD to check us out ... if they can. We’ll be airborne in less than two minutes

“Carlton, what’s the max on your speed indicators in these saucers?” I asked.

“Mach-20, same as yours. NASA has a new design for you to test, which has no limit. The CIA will bring them tomorrow, for us to test at White Sands.”

“Tell them to bring at least three dozen. I’d like to have one for each of our Eagles.”

“I’ve asked for a gross, since they told me the CIA and the Military were picking up the tab, and splitting it.”

“Do you really think these flying saucers will exceed Mach-20?”

“Boyd – literally – the sky is the limit with this design. There’s no atmospheric drag, and with six thrust rockets which can all be tuned to the same direction for full force, we’ll need a stopwatch to check our speed from one point to the next ... I honestly don’t think we can be spotted, flying at top speed, if we ever discover what that speed happens to be.”

“Take it away, Sinbad. My pre-flight map shows approximately 7100 miles if we hit L.A. from here, then fly up to Seattle, across to Boston, down to Miami and back here.”

Carlton added. “Just under twenty-eight minutes, if we hit Mach-20. I’m guessing we’ll surpass Mach-25 with ease. Even holding them back to Mach-25 we’ll cut it to twenty minutes.”

“Adam – Eric?”

“All systems are go,” Adam responded

“Same here, Boyd,” Eric echoed.

“You and Adam lead out, Boyd. Let’s fly in pairs once we’re airborne,” Carlton added.

“I’ll take us up to forty-five thousand. The air is thinner and we’ll make less noise, plus we’ll be less visible.”

“We’re on your heels, Boyd. I have never in my life dreamed of such a flight,” Eric said.

“Carlton, you’re a genius. I think I may have told you that once or twice before,” Adam told him.

“You have, and I’ve always appreciated your praise, Adam. Coming from you, I am honored to have such a title ... even if you do throw it at me in regular intervals.”

Eric asked, “Carlton, did you say this saucer is capable of actually turning sharp, at ninety-degree angles? It sure does feel quick on the stick when I lean it just slightly.”

“I see the Pacific Coast on the horizon, take a hard-right and we’ll follow you up the coast. This is a test-flight, after all.

“WOW! That is awesome ... Totally awesome! That was not merely a right-hand turn. That – was a ninety-degree, lateral move to the north!” Eric exclaimed.

“Adam, how goes it?”

“Just checking my instruments. My outer shell has actually cooled to below sixty-five degrees at this altitude ... Boyd, see if you can make contact with Eagle Nest again. I’d like to know if they’re even capable of tracking us on NORAD, without our transponders.”

Eagle One to Eagle Nest

Yes, Eagle One. Have you left Oklahoma

Sir, we’re over Minnesota ... now we’re over Wisconsin ... and flying over the Great Lakes...

Boyd, we have not seen so much as a blip on the screen. What is your speed at this time

Our speed indicators max-out at Mach-20. According to my count-down timer, we’ve passed Mach-25 with no idea how far beyond

Are you maxed out

Negative, Sir. Not even close. We’re actually holding them back until we know more about this design

Where are you now

Just turned south – down the eastern seaboard

Carlton – I must ask you this – will we be able to arm those saucers with the same lasers they’ve designed for the Chiropta

General, they may be armed at any time, once we reach White Sands

Carlton – you’re a genius

Thank you, Sir. If I keep hearing that, I may start believing it

Mister – just in the past month, you have raised the level of America’s Military Power to a point beyond where no one will match us in a thousand years.

Thank you, Sir. I appreciate the praise

Tell me – where are you now

We now have OKC in our sights, Sir

Boyd, there will be thirty of us at your place by 0600. If you’ll brew the coffee – we’ll bring the donuts

Come on down, General. We’ll be at the new machinist buildings early and we’ll have plenty of coffee. We can make plans to travel to New Mexico from there

I can hardly wait to fly one of those Saucers myself ... But, I’m still itching to be encased in one of the Chiropta for the first time.

Immediately upon our return to the machinist building, Carlton was on the phone, ordering an additional twenty-four 30” monitors for the flight training simulators, for immediate delivery. We’re going to need them when our visitors arrive.


“Adam, are you telling us there’s a possibility Marty could actually inherit all of Boyd’s physical attributes simply by swimming in the lake?” Margaret asked as we discussed the various possibilities of letting Marty mingle with our kids, day and night.

Carlton told her, “Margaret, you and Martin should take a swim in the lake tonight, before going to bed. Swim down to the meteorite and see for yourself, what changes will occur to you. Just be aware, you’ll be physically changed forever, if you decide to take the plunge – so to speak.”

Martin looked at Carlton and spoke, “Carlton, a man would have to be blind not to notice all the women on this ranch, from moms to teachers and nurses – each of which, have to be within ounces and inches of physically identical. I look at you, Eric, Adam and Boyd and see physical specimens far beyond normal humans, and I have to wonder how all of this came to be ... Tell me, was it actually the lake water, combined with the presence of the meteorite which you told us now rests on the bottom of the lake?”

“Martin, there’s only one way to answer your question so you’ll know for sure.”

“Tell us what that is.”

“Take Margaret skinny dipping in the lake and you’ll see the meteorite. Swim to it, follow your instincts, and experience firsthand how both of you will spend the rest of your lives, should you choose to live here permanently.”

Margaret was sitting between Savanna and Andrea. She pulled them close to whisper, “Please tell me this is for real.”

Savanna whispered, “Take him down now, leave all your clothes on the bank and we’ll bring them in for you. You’ll want to spend the night alone, so come in through the vehicle entrance and stay in the guestroom in the basement. We’ll have your permanent room ready for you by tomorrow morning.”

Margaret stood with her hand held out to Martin. He smiled at us, then walked out with her hand in his.

Adam looked at Andrea and asked, “Don’t you think someone should go with them?”

Before anyone could respond, Suma stood and reached for Eric’s hand. “Come with me, Eric. You and I need at least one more lesson in underwater nude aerobics.”


Friday morning, we were up early, making preparations for our visitors. Adam, Eric, Carlton and I were at the new machinist’s buildings with coffee made, when Falcon called me.

Dad, are you busy

Not too busy for you guys. What’s up, Falcon

We took Marty down to see the meteorite and he thought it would be fun to skinny-dip like his parents did last night ... Uh ... Dad you’re not going to believe what happened next

Where are you now, is everyone alright

We’re still at the lake ... we’re all okay, but we really need to come see you before you get busy with our visitors

Sure, we’re at the new machinist buildings, bring Marty too if he wants to fly with you

Oh – he wants to fly alright. We’re on our way

Before I stepped outside to see them, I had a feeling Carlton’s prediction had come true...

Just as I thought, there were seven boys in swimsuits flying right toward me.

I turned to Adam, Eric and Carlton, where they sat at a cutting table. “Adam, you and Eric need to come see this...

Carlton’s prediction – is now a reality.”


Needless to say, even though Carlton had predicted the changes in Marty, the changes in his appearance were absolutely mystifying to all of us.

As for the boys, they had already accepted the fact that they now have another brother – from a different mother.

Now, instead of having identical twin boys – Hawk and Falcon – we have identical triplets – with Marty, Hawk and Falcon.

Adam greeted him as only Adam can... “Marty, we have been hoping since you first came here, that you would become one of us. I want to be the first to congratulate you on becoming a member of the Lightfoot Eagle Squadron.”

“Thanks, Mr. Adam. From the first time I met Mr. Boyd, I’ve wished that I could fly just like him. Then, he came to see me and my parents that time, and took me flying with him. That made me want even more to one day fly just like him. When Mom and Dad told me we’d be staying here and Dad would be working on a secret project, I wanted more than ever to be just like Mr. Boyd’s sons. However it happened this morning, is the least of my worries. The fact that I am now identical to Falcon and Hawk, and that I have the same physical abilities as all the boys and girls here, makes me even more proud to be here. I want to learn all about being a Lightfoot Eagle and I already love my Eagle Brothers and Sisters.”

Carlton told him, “Marty, we have an extra flight-suit over here. One that will fit you perfectly, the same as your brothers...

“Hawk, you and your brothers take Marty over and suit him up. Show him the details of his flight helmet, instruments and face-shield. If he’s going to be a Lightfoot Eagle, he needs to dress the part.”

I reached out to take his hand – then pulled him into my arms as he reached out to hug me, “Marty, welcome to the Lightfoot Clan. We’re proud to have you and your parents here with us. We’re proud of the fact that you want to be a part of our Eagle Squadron. Learn from your brothers, and your sisters ... Each of them will be happy to help you. You’re a Lightfoot Eagle now, and we’re excited about having you here with us. Believe me, our adventure is just beginning.”


The sound of helicopters overhead, announced the arrival of our visitors from DC. By the time we made our way to the front door to greet them, there were personnel carriers pulling up out front.

President Sullivan and Vice President Banner were the first to step out of the lead vehicle. They were both smiling as they hurried over to where Adam, Eric, Carlton, Martin and I stood.

I greeted both of them, then pulled Martin Gallagher over as they shook hands with Adam, Carlton and Eric.

“Mr. President, Mr. Vice President – I’d like for you to meet Martin Gallagher, our new production manager – for the Chiropta, HoverCraft, and Flying Saucer Programs.”

While they were greeting Martin, General Langston came over with Mr. Brighton and Mr. Cofield. As I shook hands and welcomed them to our ranch, I saw more military personnel exiting the other two vehicles. I didn’t know any of the enlisted men, but it seemed Eric recognized them. He was hurrying across the drive to welcome them when he turned to wave for me.

I recognized Marine Corps Commandant, General Robert Atkinson, from the day I met with the Joint Chiefs, the CIA and the President, at the Pentagon.

“Boyd, it’s a pleasure to meet you here on your ranch. I’ve heard so much about the new projects you and your associates have been working on since we last met.”

“Thank you, General. Please come inside and make yourself at home. We do have some really fascinating new flying machines to show you and the others.”

“Boyd, before we go inside, I have twelve young men traveling with me, that I want you to meet. These are some of the finest young pilot-trainees we’ve ever had the pleasure of working with at the Marine Corps Air Station in Cherry Point, North Carolina. We have chosen these twelve young men to be the first Marine Pilots in the Experimental Chiropta Program.”

Upon hearing what General Atkinson told me, Mr. Brighton and Mr. Cofield stepped up.

“Boyd, we’ve brought twelve of our newest agents with us today. Each of these young men have already earned a private pilot’s license, and they’ve just completed their basic training. We were told that you’d have twenty-four units of the new Chiropta ready for flight, and we want to begin training these young men immediately, if at all possible.”

As he spoke, the twelve young men he mentioned, walked around the building to stand next to Eric, and the twelve marine pilot-trainees.

“Then, let’s get these men inside so Corporal Stanton can them suit up.”


Eric and Carlton immediately started the twelve Marine, and twelve CIA pilot-trainees on the Chiropta flight-training simulators. An hour and a half later, each of them were carrying a Chiropta outside to begin pre-flight maneuvers from inside their pilot capsule.

While Adam stayed at the flight-training consoles with the President, Vice President, General Langston, General Atkinson, Mr. Brighton and Mr. Cofield – I went out to help with the first flight of the new trainees.

By this time my entire Eagle Squadron had arrived, and with Marty, there are now thirty-five of them. Marty was excited to be involved, as the others explained to him how we would escort and watch over the new trainees as they made their first flight in the Chiropta.

These hand-picked ‘Young Guns’ from both the CIA and Marines, really knew their stuff. They quickly proved why they were chosen to be the first ever official pilot-trainees of the Chiropta. With each of them having previous, professional flight training, they easily adapted to their rolls as pilots of the Chiropta.

Later, the Old Hands from the White House, the Pentagon and the CIA, proved they too deserved a chance at piloting the new Chiropta. With matched bravado of the much younger pilots, these men showed they still have what it takes to pilot such an innovative design of manned military aircraft.

After putting the Chiropta through rigorous inflight maneuvers and even a few episodes of dogfights, Carlton suggested each of them take turns operating the HoverCraft, before entering the cockpits of the Flying Saucers.

This was the fun part for all of us. The new trainees, including the Old Hands, were thrilled by the ability of the HoverCraft to fly, hover and evade any object in its path without damage, or injury to the passengers.

With eight Saucers, we were able to have fifteen of the new pilots in flight on the first training mission, with Eric onboard the lead Saucer as they flew two-abreast across the continent and back.

This was my first chance to fly outside the Saucers as they were flown by other pilots. Again, my Eagle Squadron flew with me was we escorted the eight Saucers, as twice they were flown west to the Pacific, then cross-country to the Atlantic and back, at speeds above Mach-20.

Though Carlton had no time to install NASA’s new speed indicators in the Saucers or Chiropta, he did provide me with a replacement for the one inside my flight-helmet.

Boyd, what is your present speed – President Sullivan asked as we flew east, over Texas.

Sir, we are now cruising at Mach-30, forty-five thousand feet above sea level. That computes to twenty-two thousand, eight hundred and thirty-six m-p-h.

Do you have any idea what the top-speed of these Saucers will be once you have them in production

Sir – to quote a certain Master Magician – ‘the sky is the limit’


Jerl and Lester arrived with the women of our family – and our nurses, housekeepers, teachers and cooks. Martin and Margaret Gallagher are traveling with us also. We were leaving no one behind, as we left for White Sands in New Mexico.

There were four VH60-N helicopters waiting on the helipad nearest the machinists buildings. Since the President and Vice President never travel together, for security reasons – they traveled here in two Marine-Ones and two Marine-Twos.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.