Wild Fire - Cover

Wild Fire

Copyright© 2018 by JRyter

Chapter 4

While Ty helped Boothe load a packmule with their supplies, Willah and Mejesse closed the window shutters and fastened the door, to keep the varmints out. Within the hour after eating breakfast, they were on their way upstream on Willow Creek.

When they came to the clearing where Wild Fire and his herd of horses had killed the wolves, they saw the horses through the trees.

“I want to see if he will come to me again,” Willah told them, putting her fingers to her lips.

Hearing her whistle, the horses raised their heads, then Willah whistled again and they saw Wild Fire running toward the trees with his herd behind him.

Willah crossed the creek on a log, then met Wild Fire as he tossed his head, waiting for his reward.

This time, she rubbed his nose, then ran her hand up and down the blaze of white on his face. He stood still as she ran her hand up and down his face three more times. With her other hand, she held more dried berries out for him. While he ate them from her hand, she reached back to pat his neck and scratch the top of his head.

She knew they should be on their way, and talked to Wild Fire as if he could understand her, “We have to go, Wild Fire. I wish you could go with us, but the mountain trail is narrow and steep. We’ll see you when we return in a few days.”

With his head against her chest, she hugged him for the first time, then patted neck again before turning to cross the log and join the others.

They had gone no more than fifty yards upstream on Willow Creek when they looked back to see Wild Fire and his herd behind them.

“Willah, you are going to spoil that big wild horse, feeding him those dried berries,” Mejesse told her.

Boothe told her, “I’m sure they will turn back. We’ll be passing through the forest soon and the trail narrows to a game trail in places.”

Their trip across the mountain takes a full day and most of another. They had made the trip many times over the years and they had their own campsite where they spent the night on the trail. Today, when they reached the campsite and unloaded the mule, there was Wild Fire and his herd.

There was a spring nearby and as they watched, Wild Fire led his herd to water.

“Papa, I never meant for them to follow us.”

“It appears that they have been this way before, as familiar with the spring as they are. I’m sure he will lead them back before nightfall. If not, he can travel to the Shoshone Village with us.”

They spent that night on the trail and broke camp early the next morning. They arrived at the Shoshone Village about midday, with Wild Fire and his herd behind them.

High on a bluff overlooking the valley, Ty saw the Shoshone Village below as it lay spread out along both sides of a wide, clear mountain stream. Horses grazed on the outer meadow away from the village. Smoke from the many lodge fires trailed lazily skyward.

Boothe put his hollow Buffalo horn to his lips to sound their arrival. There were horns from below answering his call, sounding a welcome to the village. The music of flutes began to play, as boys and girls ran and yelled, shouting greetings to the visitors standing high on the bluff.

Willah walked over to Wild Fire, with Ty standing behind her as she gave the wild stallion more dried berries, then once again, hugged his neck.

“Wild Fire, we’ll be here for two days. If you want to take your herd back to the valley, we’ll see you when we return.”

The big horse stood his ground as they turned and walked down the steep, narrow trail to the village below.

Ty looked back when they were close to the bottom. “He’s still standing there, looking down here at you, Willah.”

The four of them waved back up at the wild horses before making their way out onto the valley floor. The entire village was standing in a group, waiting to greet them.

Willah never turned loose of Ty’s hand as they made their way over to the welcoming family group. He gripped her hand tighter and she looked up at him with a smile. He tried to smile, and she whispered, “Don’t worry, they will like you and welcome you to their village and their tribe.”

“They’re looking at me like they may be mad at me about something.”

“No, they are looking at you beside me, with me holding your hand. They are trying to decide if you deserve to be with me. Just wait, Papa and Mama will make them happy as they learn how you came to my rescue when the wolves followed me. Our people love hearing stories of bravery, with warriors coming to defend the women against wild animals or enemies of their people who would harm them.”

“But that’s not really the way it happened.”

“To me, it is. To my Mama and my Papa too – that is the way we see what you did. Now, you have won my heart. My Mama’s people will honor you and welcome you into their village, and you will become a member of the Shoshone Tribe.”

“I’m still a little bit scared about this, Willah.”

“Just think, Ty, tonight, you won’t have to turn away from me when we lay in our bed. You can touch my body, and hold me in places no one has ever seen before, and we can finish what we started last night and this morning.”

“Willah, no matter what we talk about – you always make me see the best part of it.”

When the greetings and embraces of family members were done, Boothe Pelletier stood before the group and motioned for them to sit.

In the native tongue of the Shoshone, Boothe Pelletier spoke:

Great people of the Shoshone, here with us today is a brave young White-Warrior I wish you to meet. But first, let me tell you the story of how we come to know this young warrior.

As we followed the trail of years past, which leads to our lodge on Willow Creek, we saw a herd of wild horses grazing. Willah – always the one to make friends with wild animals, whistled to the giant red stallion with the herd. The great horse lifted his head and shook his mane, then struck the ground with his hoof in response to her whistle.

Days later, Willah had killed a young deer, high on the same mountainside, far from our home. Unknown to Willah a young hunter on a nearby mountainside, was watching the same herd of deer as she made her kill.

This brave young hunter watched as a herd of wild horses came up out of the valley below and Willah whistled to the same wild stallion she’d whistled to before. The stallion is called Wild Fire, by White-Men, for his fire red coat.

The stallion came to Willah as she held out her hand, filled with dried berries. The giant horse ate berries from Willah’s hand.

Once again, the granddaughter of the Shoshone has made friends with wild animals. The stallion returned to his herd and left Willah with her deer.

Willah field-dressed her deer before bringing it home over her shoulders. But, unknown to her, there was a pack of wolves following the scent of her deer down the mountain, to the valley of the Shoshone River.

The brave young hunter had given up hope of killing a deer for himself and watched as Willah walked into the valley below. Then he saw the wolves trailing her. He tried to fire a warning shot with his long gun, but his long gun failed him.

Afraid the wolves would attack the young Indian girl, the brave young hunter ran down the mountainside, trying to load his long rifle as he ran. He heard Willah whistle and he ran even faster toward the sound of her whistle. As the brave young warrior neared the trees where Willah stood, he saw the wolfpack stalking her.

Back up on the mountainside, far away, the giant red stallion – Wild Fire – also heard the sound of the Indian girl’s whistle. With his herd of a hundred horses, Wild Fire ran toward the sound.

By now, the young White Warrior had run for miles to defend Willah. He was winded and tired, but he continued searching for Willah, to defend her from the wolves. Then, through the trees came the red stallion – Wild Fire – charging into the pack of wolves, killing the leader of the pack as his mares trampled the remaining wolves.

As if charging Willah, the red stallion ran to her and shook his head, pawing at the ground. Willah reached into her pouch and brought out a handful of dried berries. The stallion ate berries from her hand, then turned to lead his herd back up the mountain.

Willah saw the young warrior walking toward her and asked how he got there. He told her the story of how he watched her kill her deer, then the wild horses came and she called Wild Fire up to eat from her hand. Then he told her he saw the wolves trailing her and ran down the mountain to warn her.

‘You came to save my life? She asked.

‘I didn’t fight the wolves, but I would have fought them with my bare hands, if they had attacked you... ‘

Now – this shy, brave young White-Warrior, has asked for the hand of my daughter in marriage and we have brought Willah home to the Shoshone People, so they may be married by the Great Chief, just as he married me to his daughter, Mejesse.

Look high upon the bluff. There stands the great stallion, Wild Fire. He followed Willah here to meet her people so her Grandfather could marry her to the brave young warrior sitting next to her. Now, you can see for yourself, how Willah makes friends with wild animals. Wild Fire is here to witness his friend, Willah marry her brave young warrior.”


The Chief called for a celebration in honor of the White-Warrior.

Ty didn’t understand the many of the words Boothe spoke in telling the Shoshone People the story. Only a few of his words were understood.

Willah was telling Ty what was happening and why the Shoshone people were now looking at him, smiling.

Boothe came over to them and told him, “Ty come with me. The wedding ceremony will take place at sundown. Before then, you and I will sit with the elders when we have our feast. Then I will take you to the Chief’s teepee so we can bathe you and dress you in the traditional, white deerskin clothes of marriage.”

“You mean you and the Chief will bathe me and dress me? Did I hear you right?”

“Yes, we will not only bathe you, we will anoint you with oils from the pine, and scents from the wild flowers.”

“Mr. Boothe, you’ve been through this haven’t you?”

“Yes, and just like you, I was unsure. Believe me, you have nothing to fear. We will make sure you are clean and pure before you marry Willah and mate with her on your wedding night.”

“Where will Willah be while all this is going on?”

“She will sit with Mejesse, her grandmother, and the other women during the feast. Then the women of the tribe will bathe Willah and dress her in a traditional white deerskin wedding dress.”

“Sir, I’m scared ... but I gotta tell you, I’m excited too.”

“Ty, I want to tell you again, how proud I am of the man my daughter has chosen for a husband, and her mate for life. You have nothing to fear – you now have Willah to love you, and you have Mejesse and me to stand at your back.”


Though there are many thousands of members in the Shoshone Tribe, they are split into mostly – family villages. There were over eighty members in this Shoshone Camp – men women and children. With each of them speaking in their native tongue ... Which at times, it seemed to Ty, they were all speaking at once. Very few times did he understand a spoken word. He could see Willah, sitting with Mejesse and the other women across the crowd. Each time his eyes met hers, they were smiling at each other.

The men wore ceremonial deerskin breeches and shirts adorned with colorful beads sewn onto their costumes. The elders of the camp each wore a headdress of eagle feathers. The women wore their ceremonial dresses, adorned with beads and trinkets. This was a special occasion. They were proud of their Great Chief’s granddaughter, Willah. To them, this girl was pure Shoshone, through and through.

As the feast wound down, Boothe motioned for TY to follow him. Ty became nervous again. He knew what was coming, yet he didn’t. He stood at the flap of the large teepee with the man he had come to admire for his wisdom, his knowledge of the wilderness, and his well spoken, gentle nature...

“Ty, soon you will wed my daughter. At that time, you will become my son, and also, the son of the Great Shoshone People. Your life is about to change. No longer will you be known as an outcast from your family. You will be looked upon as a man who walks through this wilderness with pride, leaving your mark here for those who come for many years later, to see and admire. I am proud to call you, My Son – the son Mejesse and I were never able to have before now. Go now and the men will prepare you for your wedding. You have earned my blessings and the blessings of Mejesse. You have also earned the blessings of the Shoshone Chief and his family.

“You will now, and forever, be one of us.”

“Thank you, Mr. Boothe. You’ll never know how much your friendship means to me.”

“But I do know, Ty, and so do all those gathered here today.”

When Ty stepped through the opening, Boothe loosened the ties on the flap and closed it behind him.

Ty took a deep breath, as he turned to see the Chief and the other men of the tribe smiling at him.

The Chief held out his hand to him and Ty stepped forward. The Chief was the only one he knew in this teepee, and he trusted him.

“Ty, do not be afraid. We are not here to hurt you or shame you. We are here to anoint you before you marry my granddaughter, Willah. Trust me when I tell you, each man in this teepee, looks up to you and admires you for what you have done. You have won the heart of a wild spirit, known in these mountains, as Willah Pelletier ... Never try to tame her, for she will never be tamed. Love her, protect her and she will stand by your side forever.”

“Chief, I hope one day I can be the man she thinks I am, and the man you and Mr. Boothe expect me to be for your granddaughter.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.