Country Boy - Cover

Country Boy

Copyright© 2018 by SW MO Hermit

Chapter 18

Larry and Rachel happened to be on Earth when the next surveillance ship from the Galactic Civilization broke from supra light speed and began an approach to Earth. Detectors immediately detected it and alerted Earth Defense. They immediately alerted Larry.

Lander was still with Larry wherever he went. He knew the contact protocols and language so contact was possible using both English and the common Galactic tongue. All Earth forces were placed on alert in the unlikely event the approaching stranger should be or become hostile.

Lander said, “Larry, there is no need to place your forces on alert. I can assure you this ship will do you no harm.”

“That may be so. In fact, I believe that to be so, however, what kind of a ruler would I be if I didn’t take all possible precautions to safeguard my people? We will remain at combat alert until such time as we know beyond a shadow of a doubt these people are peaceful and mean us no harm.”

“Very well, but I will have some difficulty convincing them you mean them no harm. They, after all, know how warlike you humans are.”

“Lander, you know that is incorrect. Our warlike tendency came from a small group of people—mostly politicians and religious leaders. After we eliminated them, we became much more civilized. We were very warlike in the past but we are not any longer. We have weeded out those in our population who were aggressive power seeking assholes. Now we can and will fight if we are threatened, but we are no longer unreasonably aggressive and warlike.”

“Yes, I know Larry but they do not. We must be very careful not to cause them to become fearful enough they attack you.”

After Lander established contact with the newly arrived ship Larry took over the conversation. He said, “Welcome to the Earth. On behalf of myself and the Terran Empire I wish you a pleasant visit.”

An individual that appeared to be of the same race as the ones manning Lander’s original ship came on the view screen. He looked at Larry for a few seconds then said, “Thank you for your welcome. I cannot help but believe it is not sincere, however, since your ships and planet based installations have weapons manned and ready to fire upon us. I would know the reason for this. I would also like to know how you came into possession of our ships and technology.”

“I understand your concern, however, please understand we mean you no harm, assuming you do us no harm. I am now the leader of the human race. I would be a poor leader, indeed, if I did not try to protect my people. We detected your ship entering our system. You did not announce yourself and came in uninvited. It was prudent that I take precautions. After we are assured you are and will remain peaceful, we will stand down.”

“We will see. Your race has a reputation for violence known throughout the galaxy. I fear you will have trouble convincing us you are truly peaceful and mean us no harm. We have seen how you befriend each other, then, when you want something your friend has, you turn on them.

“We still demand to know how you obtained our ships and technology. If you are so peaceful and mean us no harm, how did you get control of our ships?”

“First of all, none of the ships you see around you within this solar system are your ships. Humans built all the ships Terra owns and operates. We do have five of your shuttles however. Your last surveillance ship had severe engine problems when they arrived in our system. Unfortunately for them, they arrived at nearly the same time we were having a meteor shower. The ship was destroyed when it was hit by meteors. One Lander made it to earth with one of your people aboard. Unfortunately all your personnel died as a result of that accident.

“I personally found your Lander crashed on my land. I assisted it in making repairs, then we salvaged the mother ship. When we found one of your crew we gave them what Lander assured me was the proper honors due a deceased person from your civilization. Rather than me giving you all this data verbally, I suggest you allow us to download our actions from the time I discovered the Lander until the present. All files on your personnel, the salvage operation and subsequent actions I took here on Earth will be in the file. After you have reviewed this information, I will be happy to talk with you again.

“I am assured by Lander that you will be able to verify the authenticity of the data because he will use the protocols and encryption security your civilization employs. I am positive you will see we are now as peaceful as are your member races. We each have the same or nearly the same weapons and neither has used them so how can we say one of us is more warlike than the other? I notice you have your weapons manned also...”

It took almost two whole days before the Captain of the surveillance ship again contacted Larry. Larry was confident there would be no problems because the Earth forces detected the weapons in the surveillance ship going offline about three hours before the contact. In a gesture of good faith, Larry ordered all Earth weapons taken offline also. He did leave shields up as did the surveillance vessel. This was normal procedure however in order to protect the ships from damage.

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.