Country Boy - Cover

Country Boy

Copyright© 2018 by SW MO Hermit

Chapter 9

Larry’s work on the antigravity device began in earnest the day after his announcement of intention to build it. Of course, he really didn’t have much chance to fail in his endeavor because he not only knew it was possible but he had already learned how to build one from Lander’s instructions. The big problem he had was to convince his companions he was doing original research in his attempts. It wouldn’t do for him to just build a device and have it work the first time.

To that end, he and Rachel spent many hours on their computers—computers that were enhanced greatly with alien technology—pretending to do computations and engineering research. They built many strange electronic devices that failed miserably as they supposedly attempted to build an anti gravity unit.

Late one evening as they were working Larry said, “You know Rache, after we get this thing built and patented we will probably have the damn oil companies down on us again.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Well think about it. The A G Drive is what Lander uses when he breaks orbit to land on or fly over a This device will change the way heavy lifting is done all over the planet. I wouldn’t be surprised if it wouldn’t at least take us to the moon if we incorporate it into some kind of space craft. Now, if the drive will work for Lander, won’t it work for aircraft? If it does and if the FAA will certify an airplane that uses that as a drive, there will be even less of a market for petroleum products. The OPEC Cartel might not try to assassinate me this time but we will have to take precautions anyway.

“We might even have the unions down on us again too. They are still hurting from losing all the jobs in the oil industry and now we will cost them some jobs in construction too.”

“How can an antigravity unit cost a construction job?”

“For one thing, it will reduce the need for crane operators. It will also reduce or eliminate the need for other labor because it will be easier and safer to move heavy items. The unit can serve as motive power to hold a work surface in lieu of scaffolding so there will be less labor needed to build scaffolds. I can go on and on.”

“Wow. I wonder if Lander realized the total effect allowing us access to his electronic, non military technology would have on the world?”

Larry laughed and started to answer when he was interrupted. Beth said, “Who is this Lander you have been talking about and what does he have to do with your inventions?”

“Shit,” Larry muttered. “I thought everyone was gone so I didn’t worry about being on the lookout for listeners. Crap.”

Larry turned to Beth and looked at her for a moment trying to decide how to answer her question. Finally, he said, “Lander is a friend of mine that I collaborate with from time to time about some of the things we are working on Beth.”

Beth walked up and sat down. She put her feet up on the corner of Larry’s desk and said, “Ok, tell me another one. I know all your friends and I don’t remember one named Lander. Besides, if it was someone here that allowed you access to technology, why didn’t he patent the items instead of you? Now, what the hell’s going on here?”

Larry and Rachel looked back and forth at each other. Finally, in exasperation, Beth yelled, “Damn it Larry quit trying to think up a fucking lie and answer me. You know you can trust me. Hell, we’ve been friends almost from the first time you showed up in town.”

Larry was just sitting trying to come up with an answer when Lander said, “Larry it seems to me as if you should answer Beth’s question. All my research indicates she is trustworthy and she is already too knowledgeable for you to, as you say, blow her off.”

Beth looked around but saw no one. She said, “Who the hell was that and were are they Larry?”

Larry sighed and said, “That was Lander Beth. I suppose we need to introduce you to him. Why don’t you come with me and we’ll do that. You have to promise that nothing you see, hear or learn today will ever be discussed with anyone except Rachel or me. We are the only ones on earth that know Lander.”

“What the hell do you mean you are the only ones on earth that know Lander?”

By then Larry and Rachel were walking toward a tool room that contained spares, test equipment and other rarely used items. He looked at Beth and said, “Come on Beth and we’ll tell you.”

Beth slowly followed her two best friends other than her husband Tom—and she was beginning to wonder about Tom—in the world as they entered the storage room. As soon as they were in the room, the door closed and locked with a distinct click. Beth jumped when she heard the lock click, then she saw one of the squares of concrete in the floor sink about six inches and slide to the side. She stepped back when an enclosed platform with rails around it rose until its floor was level with the existing floor in the room.

Larry walked up to the platform and opened one side of the rail outward. He motioned Rachel and Beth onto the platform. He followed the women, closing the rail after. As soon as the rail clicked closed the platform began to descend. Beth whispered, “Fuck. I’ve worked out here for six years now and I never knew you had a basement in the laboratory. What do you have down here anyway Larry?”

“This is where Lander stays Beth. I told you I would introduce you to him.”

Beth turned slightly and caught her first glimpse of Lander. She stared in shock and again whispered, “Fuck. What the hell is that? Oh, shit, is that what I think it is? Oh, my God, it looks like a spaceship!

“Larry, please tell me you’re not from some other world. Oh, Jezus.”

Larry laughed and said, “No, Beth. I’m as human as you are. I can’t say the same thing for Lander though. Come on and meet him.”

“WHAT?”

When they entered the little ship Beth reached out and touched almost everything she passed. She turned toward Larry and hissed, “You asshole. You had this ship all the time and didn’t let me know. I thought we were friends. How could you keep this secret from me?”

Lander said, “Please don’t blame Larry for that Beth. I demanded he keep knowledge of my existence secret after we determined the probable outcome if knowledge of my existence came to the attention of the public or your government. I have been programmed to self-destruct if unauthorized persons take control of me. That destruction would result in an area of about ten miles radius becoming uninhabitable. The explosion and fallout would kill thousands. You are only the third living human to discover my existence. I am marooned in this system. Larry found me after a meteor shower when my mother ship was destroyed and I was damaged. We have helped each other over the years. I have allowed him to make use of some of our non-military technology that is approximately on a level with your existing tech. He has provided me with a safe place to hide and with power from his generating station.

“Uh, ok. I can see the generator and even the electric vehicles but how do you equate this antigravity thing Larry is trying to build with our technology? And why do you need a place to hide and access to Larry’s power?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.