Country Boy - Cover

Country Boy

Copyright© 2018 by SW MO Hermit

Chapter 4

Larry only received $179,000 from his lawsuits against the companies responsible for his wife’s death and his injury. They filed bankruptcy and were forced to liquidate so he did receive some satisfaction from that. His employer had structured the ownership well enough that they were only responsible for the wrongful dismissal part of his lawsuits and the permanent health insurance requirement. That might not have been possible except for the sneaky way his attorney structured the settlements, piggybacking the insurance on the employers policy.

After Larry and Beth received their funds they invested the majority of the money. Beth did purchase the first new clothes she ever bought for herself and made a few other personal purchases. Larry bought some equipment that would make life easier for them. By growing their own food—animals as well as vegetables—the couple was able to actually save money even with no full time employment. The power Larry sold to the electric utility each month came to between $150 and $250 per month. Many months that was enough to purchase the items they did not produce themselves. Rarely did they have to dip into the interest their invested funds generated.

The next year seemed to rush past before they hardly knew. They worked hard and rested as the mood struck. They had acres of food growing and built pens for hogs and chickens. They fenced in a pasture for some young cattle they were going to raise for beef. Of course, they also built shelters for the animals. Many hot days in the summer found them on the Buffalo river swimming, fishing or just sitting around visiting with the many people who floated down the stream in canoes.

It was a fantastic life, one of minimal responsibility and maximum pleasure. The peacefulness of their surroundings allowed each to heal from the trauma of their earlier existence. And, as they each healed, they each found something they missed. They became closer to each other as the year flowed by. Neither noticed how unsettled they were when not in the other’s presence but each knew they felt much more content if they were with the other.

Finally, it happened, they realized that, without knowing, they became a family, committed to each other and neither knew how to take the relationship to the next level; or if they even wanted to do so. They were comfortable with each other but there wasn’t the deep love Larry felt for Sharon.

Finally, Larry decided to take the bull by the horns. They were having one of their rare down days, a self imposed holiday if you will. Larry was doing a BBQ on a rack of ribs, Beth made a killer German Potato Salad and they made a lettuce salad for a green veggie. Larry also threw four ears of corn on the grill to go with.

We all know the recipe for good BBQ and so did Larry. Of course, the recipe starts ‘First, pour several beers into the cook, then... ‘ Each of the two was well into the beer when Larry wobbled up to the BBQ he built near the dam. He checked the ribs, detoured past the cooler and snagged each another beer before resuming his seat.

Larry looked at Beth and said, “Beth, you’ve been here a little over a year now and have been a super help to me. I’m not trying to get rid of you but lately it seems as if there is something bothering you. Would you like to talk about it?”

Beth started crying and turned her head away from Larry for a moment. She took a shuddering breath and finally said, “I just don’t know Larry. I mean, there has to be more to life than this doesn’t there? I mean, you’re so smart and know everything about computers and electrical things and stuff and I just barely got out of high school and don’t know squat. You’ve been to so many different places and seen so much. I feel like such a dummy when you start talking about things. I love our place here and our life but I want to know more, I want to do more...”

“Ok. What are you trying to tell me here Beth?”

“Larry, I guess. Well, do you think I could go to college too? I don’t want to flip burgers all my life and I don’t want to just exist either. I want to do something and, oh, I don’t know. I want to see the world. I want to lay on a beach and eat fancy meals and wear fine clothes and I can’t do that now. Do you think I could go to college and learn something that I can make enough money at to do those things?”

“Beth I don’t know. I mean, I know you could go to college and make something of yourself. I have no doubt about that but I don’t know how much you can earn. A lot of that depends on your degree and the job you take. What are your interests?”

“I always liked building things and fixing broken things. Can I make much doing that?”

“I don’t know what you could do in those lines. Look, I’m too messed up right now to do this. Why don’t we go to the school tomorrow and get your records so we can see what you were good at in school. We’ll talk about what you like and think you might want to do then make a plan for you. If you work some and are careful the money you have in the bank will pay for your education at a fairly good college if you are accepted.”

The rest of the afternoon was spent in raucous merriment drinking, eating and swimming in the millpond. From time to time Beth would ask, “Do you think I could do XXX” or “I think I might like to study YYYY.”

As he promised, the next morning Larry and Beth went to town and got her school records. To Larry’s surprise, many of her grades were very good. Some weren’t however. She actually made almost perfect grades in Mathematics and the few science courses she took, except for biology. She had top grades in wood shop and metal shop also. Not many women even took those classes. Her grades in history and english were not so good. Over all, she graduated from high school with a 3.14 out of 4.0 average and placed about the middle of her graduating class.

From the school, they traveled to the library where they spent some time with college catalogues and on line researching colleges. Finally, Larry recommended an easy out for her. She just wasn’t sure what she wanted to study but she wanted to go to college. He recommended she enroll in the local college for at least the first two years. Normally the first two years of college are general education subjects and in that period of time she might be better able to make a decision on her major field of study. The local college offered degrees in many subjects she might be interested in including Business, engineering and information technology as well as criminal justice and some health related fields. He said, “If you want to study here you are welcome to keep on living here and I will help if you get stuck on homework. Later, if you decide you want a specific degree not offered here or a degree from a more prestigious university all your credits should transfer.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.