Country Boy - Cover

Country Boy

Copyright© 2018 by SW MO Hermit

Chapter 3

Larry was in a quandary now. He had two projects started and, to him, they both had top priority. On the one hand, he really needed to get the house or cabin or whatever you would call it completed so he and Beth had a warm dry place to live during the winter. That project would take several days more work if he did it like he originally planned. He also really needed to get the dam completed and his generator set up so he could have some electric power. Of course he couldn’t complete the house until he had the power; well he could, but to him the job wouldn’t be completed until the electricity was in and operating. He really wanted a refrigerator and freezer so he didn’t have to go to town so often for food. A nice stove to cook on would be a plus also.

Ok, change of plans. Rush the dam to completion, pour the footings for the generator and its shelter then go back to work on the house. If it rained they could shelter in the container now since he had the door and windows installed. Instead of rocking the container’s exterior, he would just paint it a decent color to blend into the woods and go with that. He would pour a concrete porch and lay rock up about 3 feet for a ‘rail’ then cover it and call it good. On second thought, he would find some flat rocks and use them for a porch floor, setting them in concrete. Plan made. He could insulate the interior of the container as the weather cooled.

Early the next morning Larry gathered his tools and material and headed for his dam. It really wasn’t that long a trek but he drove his truck because his tools were in it. You could see the dam site from the ‘house’. Larry had barely began work when Beth showed up. She stood watching for a few moments then asked, “What do you want me to do Larry?”

Larry was pleased and somewhat surprised by her offer but he took it in stride. He said, “I am sort of cutting rocks as I go to build the dam higher. If I am lucky I can find a rock that doesn’t need cutting or that only needs minor cutting to fit. After I find or cut the proper rock I lay a good bed of mortar and place the rock properly. If you really want to help you can keep me in mortar and look for rocks you think will fit in the next spot along the dam.”

Larry laughed and continued, “Well, as you can see, I’m not really building a dam but rather I am repairing the one that is already here. This is pretty difficult work though. Are you sure you want to help? The rocks and mortar are heavy and the cement is caustic and will damage your hands even through gloves.”

“Yeah, I’m sure I want to help. I told you I would help when you brought me out here and I intend to do it. I have everything done up at the house now so here I am.”

“Great. When we have used up the mortar mix let me know and I’ll show you how to mix the next batch. I go through it pretty fast because after I set the rocks I fill in between the two outer walls with concrete to make the dam stronger. If you look at the bags you will see I am really using a concrete mix instead of mortar but it works the same. I want the dam to be stronger than we really need so I am building it back better than the original.”

Beth began fetching and carrying with a vengeance. At times Larry was hard put to keep up with her. Finally, about 10:30 a.m. they used all the concrete mixed up and Larry said, “Let’s take a break before we mix another batch. I’m going to have a beer now. Do you want one?”

“Yeah, if you don’t mind I would like to have one with you.”

They both found a comfortable place to sit and did so. They drank their beer in companionable silence for a moment then Larry looked over at Beth and said, “I know it’s none of my business but how did you end up working for that asshole and why the heck did you stay there living in those conditions and putting up with his abuse?”

“Well, at first I didn’t have any choice. He and my Daddy were best friends. Daddy filled out a paper making him my guardian if something happened to Daddy and Mother. When I was 15 Daddy and Mother were killed in a wreck. A feed truck crossed the center on one of these narrow roads and hit them head on. I had to move in with Bert after that because the court said my Daddy wanted him to be my guardian. He sold our place and used the money to take care of me he said.

“Things wasn’t too bad for a while but as I got older he got sortta touchy, ya know? I stayed away from him as much as I could but since I lived there I had to be close to him along. Well, when I turned 18 he said I was an adult now and his responsibility to me was over so I needed to move out and take care of myself.”

“Ok, I understand that I guess. Seems like a shitty thing to do out of the blue like that. Did he give you any money to help out? And if you moved out, how did you end up in that shed?”

“Well, I told him I had no job and no money and asked how he thought I could take care of myself. He laughed and said he really didn’t know and didn’t much care. I wasn’t his responsibility any more. He started to walk away then stopped and came back to me. He reached out and tried to touch my boobs and said if I was to be real nice to him he might be able to find something for me to do nights to earn my keep.”

“I hit his arm away from me and backed up. I told him there was no way I would do something like that. He laughed and asked me why not. He said if I could give it out to the boys at school for nothing it looked like I could give it to him for a place to stay and food to eat.”

Beth looked at Larry with tears in her eyes and said, “I never did that Larry. Oh, sure, I played around with the boys but I never let them fuck me. I told him so and he laughed. He said, that wasn’t what Darrell said.

“Darrell was one of the football players and thought he was God’s gift to women. If you wouldn’t screw him you only got one date. I got my one date and that was it but Darrell had to brag to everyone that I was just like all the rest of the girls and put out for him.

“Well, when I wouldn’t sleep with Bert he hit me the first time. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised because I used to see him and Daddy both hitting their wives but I was. He said since I wasn’t no use to him any more to pack my shit and get out.

I packed up and took off. I remembered that old shed and went there that night planning to sleep on the couch then find a job and a place to stay for good. Well, I looked all over town and couldn’t find work. I managed to stay in the shed and eat garbage from the bait shop for almost a week before Bert caught me. He gave me a right good whoppin’ that day let me tell you. Then he said I had to work off my keep ‘cause nothin’ in life’s free, ya know? He said I could fuck him and move back into the house or I could blow him then get my ass inside and work in the bait shop for my keep. I wasn’t agonna blow him but he made me. Any way, I been working in the bait shop and living in the shed now for almost four years.

“I tried to find other work but with no education and no good clothes I never could seem to do it. The only money I ever had was the tips the men left and I had to hide it or Bert would take it. He did check my pockets every day and took anything I hadn’t had a chance to hide yet. I got pretty good at hiding money but I never could seem to get enough ahead to get away. Bert just seemed to keep getting meaner over the years. I knew I would have to just take off sometime or he was gonna hurt me bad. He put his ole lady in the hospital a couple of times so I knew my time was coming, then you showed up like a knight on a white horse and here I am. I still don’t have any money but at least I have a better place to live and better food to eat.”

Larry sat staring into space for a moment then he said, “I can understand, sort of, but something just doesn’t seem right here. Your parent’s were killed in an accident by a driver of a semi. Didn’t Bert file a lawsuit for you to get some compensation for that? And what about insurance? Did your parent’s leave any life insurance or did they have insurance on their car? You said he sold your house also. If it was much of a house there should be some money from it unless they owed a lot on it. They might have had bank accounts you could have inherited also. Then there would have been Social Security Survivor’s Benefits for you until you reached age 18. Did you receive money from any of those sources?”

“I don’t know. If I got any of that Bert either kept it or spent it. He never said I got any settlements of any kind or any Social Security. He damn sure never gave me any money. I was lucky to get new clothes from the good will store and food to eat. I don’t even know how I would check on those things now and I sure didn’t when the folks died”

“Well it sure seems strange to me. From what you say about good ole Bert I bet he at least got some of that money for you and either spent it or kept it for himself. I have a few friends in town that might be able to help us or at least tell us how to get some answers for you. The first time we have a chance we’ll go do some checking.”

After his last statement Larry tilted his head back and drained the last of his beer into his mouth. He shuddered for a moment and made a face. He hated warm beer and his last swallow or two got warm while he was talking to Beth. Larry stood and began moving toward the dam once again as he said, “Well, guess I’ll get back to it. I think we can get the work completed in a couple more days as fast as it is going with your help.”

They completed the work on the dam mid morning three days later. After cleaning up their tools and putting them away, Larry and Beth stood admiring the newly renovated/rebuilt dam. Without thinking about his actions, Larry wrapped his arm around Beth and pulled her against his side. Beth stiffened her muscles and looked up at Larry in preparation to pulling away. Something happened to her however and instead of pulling away from his embrace she smiled and relaxed against his body then leaned her head on his chest. They stood admiring their work for several moments then Larry said, “Well, I, for one, am glad that job is completed. We need to let the concrete cure now for two or three weeks before we lower the gate in the diversion channel and begin filling the millpond. I think we need to go into town tomorrow and buy some supplies since we’re at a logical stopping point. While we’re in town I’ll drop in on a couple of friends and see what they can find out about your money situation. I wouldn’t be surprised if they need to talk to you though so I think you need to come with me this time Beth.”

“Whatever you say but I really don’t think there’s much use. Even if he did get some money when Dad and Mom died Bert spent it. If he didn’t it will be nearly impossible to get it out of him.”

“Maybe so but you’ll never know if you don’t try. Anything you can get would be a help to you.”

The next morning Larry and Beth loaded into his truck along with their shopping list and took off for town. The first stop was the attorney that was working on his lawsuit against the companies that caused Sharon’s death and his injury. When they entered the office the receptionist asked, “Could I help you?”

“I hope so. I’m Larry Saunders. We don’t have an appointment but I was hoping I could have ten minutes or so of Mr. Goldstein’s time. He is working on a couple of lawsuits for me and I have some questions about them and a couple of other matters.”

“I’ll check sir. Would you like to have a seat please?”

The receptionist picked up the phone and announced Larry. After she hung up her phone she turned toward Larry and Beth, smiled and said, “Mr. Goldstein will see you in just a moment. He does have an appointment in a little over 20 minutes but if you can take care of your business in ten or fifteen minutes he can squeeze you in sir.”

“Great. Thank you so much. I’m sure we can finish in that amount of time. If we need more we can make an appointment for later.”

Before Larry could turn his attention back to the paper he picked up Mr. Goldstein was walking into the reception area. He smiled and said, “Larry, great to see you. Belinda said you had a couple of quick questions for me? Come on back to the office and we’ll try to take care of them.”

Larry and Beth stood and walked toward Mr. Goldstein and the hallway he came out of. When they neared Mr. Goldstein Larry said, “Saul, this is Elizabeth Jenkins. She’s in sort of a bind and I’ve been helping her out. In fact, she is living with me and helping out on my place because she has nowhere else to go. After we get my questions answered, I was hoping you might be able to help her out with a couple of problems.”

“Humm. Well, I’ll see what I can do. What kind of problem are you having Elizabeth?”

As they walked into Saul’s office Larry and Beth explained her situation to him. Saul looked very angry as he listened to Beth’s tale of woe. He said, “As I imagine you are aware, I really can’t tell you much right now but if you will sign a couple of forms for me today so I can work for you I will certainly do what I can to clear up this mess. Larry is right. Something just doesn’t seem right about this situation. The first thing I’ll do is check with the court and Social Security to see if there was either a settlement for the death of your parents and if there were any benefits paid out for you. I’m afraid if Social Security hasn’t already been collected, it is too late for you to apply. They can only pay one year’s retroactive benefit and you are more than a year past age 18 which is the age your benefits would have stopped.

“As for any possible monies due you as a result of your Parent’s death, we have some leeway. We are still within the statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit against the trucking company if one hasn’t already been filed.” Saul looked at his watch and stood before continuing to talk. He said, “I’m sorry but I really have to go now so I don’t miss my next appointment with the Judge. I’ll get back to you as soon as I find out anything Elizabeth. And Larry, the same goes for you. I think we are getting close to a settlement on your case. I assume you are still willing to settle instead of going to trial?”

“Yeah, I just want it over and done with if we can get enough to make those bastards hurt.”

As he guided Larry and Beth to the office door Saul smiled his shark’s smile and said, “Oh, I guarantee they will hurt or we WILL go to trial just as you instructed me. Right now the main hang up appears to be your demand for lifetime health insurance for yourself and your family. They want to make you pay for the coverage under the insurance plan you had while you were working for your ex employer.”

“I don’t care how they structure it but that is one of the non-negotiable demands. They will provide full coverage for all health care and drugs for me and my family. If it will help settle the case you can exclude my parents and children after they complete college and become employed at an occupation that furnishes health coverage for them.”

“Ok Larry. How about we throw them a bone, too, and exclude children over age 25?”

“Fine, but that is the last concession I’ll make.”

Larry made three more stops before turning his truck for home. He stopped at the Lowes store for more building materials so they could begin work on the container again. While he was there he also ordered the material he thought he would need to build his shop and generator house. He then hit up the library where he did some research on generators and electrical systems before they made their last stop at the local Wal-Mart Super Center for groceries and a few other necessary items.

When they got back to Larry’s property they quickly unloaded the truck and put everything away. The cold food went into a container that was immersed in the cool spring water so it would keep longer. After everything was in its place Larry grabbed a chair and sat beside the future millpond. He leaned back and sighed before he said, “Damn I’m glad to be back home. I absolutely hate to go anywhere near town and civilization now. If I could get by with it I would never go to town again. One thing I am surely going to do is get a good Internet connection as soon as I can so I can stop using my cell phone for a WIFI Hot Spot. I have to watch carefully to not exceed my data limit when I use the phone and this winter I know I will want to surf the net a lot during the cold weather.”

The next project they tackled was a porch for the container/cabin. The porch was the length of the cabin and 14 feet wide with a concrete and rock floor. There was a rock railing built 40” high around the porch, excluding a 4 foot space right in front of the cabin door. It took two weeks for the construction of the porch. On the last day of construction, when the building was completed, Larry and Beth once again stood back from the completed project and admired their work. He again pulled her against him in a gentle hug and this time, he said, “Thank you for all your help Beth. You make the work a lot easier and a damn sight more fun. I wouldn’t be nearly this far along with the project without your help.” He bent and placed a gentle kiss on the top of her head before relaxing his hug slightly.

Beth smiled and wrapped her arm around Larry’s waist as she held him lightly. She tilted her head up and looked at his face for a moment before she said, “You’re welcome Larry. I’m working harder than I ever did in my life and enjoying it more. I feel as if we are accomplishing something good here. We’re building our home...” Beth looked frightened and tried to pull away from Larry before continuing, “OH, I’m sorry, I meant we’re building your home. I appreciate everything you have done for me and the fact you are allowing me to live in your home.”

Larry looked down at Beth once again and said, “Shhhh. Don’t look so worried. You were right the first time. I feel as if we are building our home also. It wouldn’t be the same if you weren’t here to share it with me. I didn’t think I would ever get over Sharon’s death but with the work here and your help the pain is receding into the background. I still miss her terribly but I think I can move on now. The pain is less now when I think of her and a lot of that is because of you. Beth, I want you to stay here as long as you want. I would really miss you badly if you left me now.”

Beth was crying as she listened to Larry. After he stopped talking she wiped her tears with her fingers and smiled up at him. She said, “Thank you Larry. I have come to feel as if this is my home too and I don’t want to leave. I love it here and I’m so grateful for you letting me stay. And you’re such a nice man. I have never been with a man that treated me so nicely. Daddy loved me I know but he was pretty rough and tough. I had to toe the line or I’d get a hell of a whoppin’, then I had to live with Bert and he was even worse. The two or three boys I dated weren’t much better. They treated me like a piece of meat and just told me what to do. They, none of them, treated me like a person. You do. I love you for that and for everything you’ve done for me.”

When she realized what she said, Beth turned white and put her hand over her mouth. She gave Larry another scared look before blushing. She mumbled, “Sorry. I didn’t mean to say that.”

Larry laughed and said, “That’s ok Beth. I have to admit, I’m developing some feelings for you also. I don’t love you like I did Sharon but I think I may be heading in that direction. Now, how about a trip down to the dam? I think we can probably lower the gate in the diversion channel and let the millpond fill now. The concrete should be cured sufficiently.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.