Summer Storm - Cover

Summer Storm

Copyright© 2018 by radio_guy

Chapter 16

We moved to other locations that had us closer to each other and that provided better cover from stray bullets.

While they had numbers, we knew the ground and had prepared our defenses. Their big SUV was stopped at the gate and it would be difficult to push it out of the way. They tried to start it but the starter motor just whirred without cranking it. I shot into the windshield seriously wounding or killing the man trying to start the engine. They wasted a lot of ammo on the snow and the trees. Our positions were well hidden and protected. We waited for the next move.

I saw Betty get out of a truck and seem to direct some of the men. I took careful aim and shot her dead. She fell limply. Misty shot another man who was looking for the source of our shots.

Their attempt on our place had cost them four plus Betty. I hoped that would dissuade them. They were outside their trucks talking and gesticulating. I aimed again and shot another man killing him. They used up more ammo on the trees and snow.

There was another single shot and one of the men at the road spun around and fell limply. From my understanding of the shot’s source, I figured that Sharon and Jim had made an appearance.

With their guide dead as well as a number of their men, they weren’t doing too well. On top of that, they had four vehicles disabled. There were injuries from the vehicle that rolled taking up men as those disabled by their injuries. I wondered how much more they would lose before this venture would be judged too costly.

I aimed for another who seemed to be directing others. I shot him. Moments later, another who had pointed at the house died. We hadn’t killed a majority but had put a noticeable dent in their numbers and equipment. We waited. Most of the raiders were crouched behind their trucks. From two points, there were suddenly men attacking. We shot quickly and the attack stopped.

I wondered who was pushing the attack now or if they just had nowhere to go. We waited some more. I heard Katie asking if we needed help. Misty replied that all was well but to wait for us to make an announcement before moving.

The raiders, now depleted, seemed to have reached a decision. They seemed to have renewed vigor. I shot one before he resumed his vehicle and Misty got another. Sharon got one as did Jim. Their return fire was harsh but had little effect upon us. Then they started shooting at the house. Misty and I began to shoot steadily as did Sharon and Jim. They were losing people because they were exposed and we were hidden. After a short while, their shooting ebbed. It quickly reached the point at which every shot of theirs resulted in a shot from us with most of ours hitting some person wounding or killing them. Their shooting slowed further. Finally, a handkerchief was extended from one of the SUV’s in the middle of their group.

I shouted out, “If you want to surrender, drop all weapons and stand outside your vehicles with your hands up. Anyone failing to follow those instructions will be killed. Once you do that, we will talk.”

From all the vehicles, men exited with no rifles and their hands up. Sharon said, “There’s some trying to trick you, Dad.”

Misty responded, “Shoot ‘em, Sharon.”

We heard rifle fire from her area. None of the men standing outside were shot but a few dead ones fell out of vehicles along with their rifles. The men outside had dropped down to lie in the snow. None tried to shoot.

I shouted, “Treachery is deadly! Stand up and pull from the vehicles anyone still inside alive or dead! Do it now!”

The men pulled bodies from the vehicles. There were seven left alive in total. I whispered to Misty, “I’m going in. Cover me.” I stood with my rifle in my hands and looked around. Misty told Sharon what I was planning. She wasn’t happy. Staying out of the lines of fire, I walked to where their vehicles and the men were located.

I said, “You’re being watched and my wife and daughter will need no invitation to shoot if there is doubt. Don’t give them reason to wipe you out. They will. I saw Jim move to stand behind a tree aiming his rifle at them. I went to the first guy and frisked him. I removed a pistol and a knife. I said, “Drop all weapons. Is there any reason why I shouldn’t shoot you just be a lesson to the others?”

“N-no.”

I stood where his body would offer some protection. “Now, drop all weapons. That means everything even a pea shooter. Do it slowly. Sudden moves will get you killed.” I could see some worried looks. I shouted, “Jim, some still have weapons. We’ll start shooting. Then we won’t have to worry about prisoners.”

The rest moved slowly but steadily to get all weapons away from their bodies before they were dead bodies. I motioned with my rifle to move them together in front of their vehicles. I said, “You’ve seen TV. Get in the position against your trucks. Legs and feet spread!” They got in position. I frisked the rest. They were truly unarmed.

I motioned to Misty to come up. As soon as she was in the clear enough that Sharon could see her, Sharon moved and came up, too. The men’s eyes widened to see two beautiful women even though their heavy winter clothing hid some of their figures and they were both carrying rifles like they knew them well. Misty spoke into her radio telling Katie and Bob to return to the house with Trevor and Opal.

I said, “Of those of you left, who is in charge or can speak for the rest?”

They looked around at each other. After a few moments, one said, “I’ll speak for us though none are left who were in charge.”

“That will do. If someone has more information or disagrees, let me know and we’ll listen.” I paused. “What’s your name?”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.