Summer Storm - Cover

Summer Storm

Copyright© 2018 by radio_guy

Chapter 14

After twenty minutes in the truck, Jim got out to help us. I told them our decision. Jim nodded. He pitched in while Betty and Allen watched their children. I noticed that Jim worked with Sharon frequently in the hour plus that we needed to collect things to move them to our house.

We collected food, clothing, and keepsakes that might suffer with cold weather. We did not take electronics or jewelry though the raiders had removed most that if the pieces were worth stealing. Once at home, I assigned rooms to everyone and we unloaded. It was quickly getting to be time for supper. Misty and Sharon started preparations with Katie and then Jim joining in to help. I was sitting in the kitchen and was soon joined by Allen and Betty and the two Armstrong children.

Jim said, “I want to thank you on behalf of our family. We were reaching the end of our string. I really didn’t know what to do. It’s nice to be warm. Taylor, how do you manage that? I can’t imagine that the power companies are supplying you.”

“No, they aren’t.” I smiled. “This place was built to be independent and that has paid off. Because of its age, I have always had backup power. Now, it’s by means of a water wheel at a creek on the property.”

Jim had a friendly look on his face. “What do you expect of us?”

“Help out with what needs to be done. That will include helping defend the place if some raiders try again.” I said.

Bob said, “Taylor, I need to brush up on my shooting to be of any real help.”

Jim said, “We brought rifles and ammo from our place. Where should we keep it?”

I said, “I suggest the rifles with some ammunition be kept in your bedrooms. Ammo storage is in the barn. Tomorrow, we’ll show you around. We’ve been carrying pistols for a while. Yesterday was the first time we’ve needed them but, as you found, when you need them is not the time to go looking.” Jim and Bob nodded. Bob looked concerned. I knew that he and Katie were not gun owners. I knew they would learn though and would be willing.

Misty turned toward us and said, “Dinner is ready. We’ll serve from here and you can carry your plates into the dining room.” We nodded. We loaded our plates and went in.

I intentionally remained standing while everyone else sat. “Let us pray.” I then prayed for our time together, the food, and for help with the weather. Everyone echoed my amen. We ate and talked getting to know the Armstrong family and them getting to know us. It was a good meal.

After supper, the women went into the kitchen and talked while we guys had cleared the table and then sat down to talk, too.

Allen said, “You are well prepared here. Were you a prepper before?”

“No.” I smiled. “Living out here for over twenty years taught me to be prepared for inclement weather. That preparation spread to looking at other issues that might come up with bad weather. This wasn’t on my list of things but it’s worked out. Much of the barn, water, and other outside items have been on alternative power once I got away from gas generators. I’ve always been a hunter and did some criminal law practice which made me think about being prepared for people problems since I am well off the normal patrol routes for the police.”

Bob said, “I will need to re-learn to shoot but will. Taylor, we’ve talked about me doing that for years and going hunting with you. I guess that time has arrived.”

Jim said, “I like being prepared. It seems to have served you well. We weren’t and it almost cost us everything.”

I said, “Jim, you’re Betty’s brother?”

“Yes. I moved here from Knoxville with a transfer from Home Depot. I’ve been to work for a week before everything started happening. I was staying with Allen and Betty with plans to get my own place. It was a noticeable commute. Now, I don’t know when I’ll have a job again.”

I said, “We all have to wonder about that.” With Misty as my assistant, I set forth a schedule of what needed to be done to make the house more secure and livable with more people. The schedule included teaching fire arms for everyone. I knew to keep our abilities with fire arms up to date, we would have to learn and practice.

Sharon offered to teach Betty, Katie, and Bob how to shoot. She said that Jim might help her if that was okay with me. I nodded.

We would start in the morning. Misty and I with Allen would work on our defenses. In a quiet moment later, Misty asked me if we should show any of them our hiding place. I said that we should wait to be sure they would work out particularly meaning the Armstrong family. She gave me a slight nod.

Trevor was twelve and Opal ten. I added them to Sharon’s shooting class. Trevor was happy while Opal was neutral. Betty was not.

She said, “My babies are too young to be handling fire arms.”

I responded, “First, Betty, they are not. Second, if they don’t learn to shoot, then your family has no place here.”

“But you took us in.”

“That’s right. It’s our place and we offered you a chance to live here in warmth and with utilities. I’m in charge with Misty. If you don’t like that or don’t want to go with that program, there’s the door.”

She went pale. I hated to do it but this lesson needed to be learned. “You need to understand that this place is ours. Misty, Sharon, and I have proven that we can protect it and are prepared to do so any time in the future. Anyone who doesn’t like our leadership may leave but even grudging acquiescence is not enough. Decide now.” I looked at Katie and Bob.

Bob smiled slowly, “Taylor, we’ll stay. I trust you and your judgment.”

I looked at Jim. “I’ll stay. I can follow your leadership. You’ve done quite well.”

I looked at Allen. There was a long moment during which he looked at his wife. He said, “We’ll stay. Betty will get with the program. The world has become a tougher place and some old habits and thoughts no longer work.”

The source of this story is Storiesonline

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close
 

WARNING! ADULT CONTENT...

Storiesonline is for adult entertainment only. By accessing this site you declare that you are of legal age and that you agree with our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.